LegacyGT.com

Dashboard dimmer switch

When headlamps are off, the instrument panel is lit. When headlamps are on, the instrument panel is dark. I suspect the dimmer switch has gone bad or needs to be cleaned. I cannot find a name or part for this switch anywhere. It is a round knob to the left of the steering wheel. It is on a small instrument panel above the fog lights, cruise and some other button.

Official part name and number anyone?

This is on my 2003 Subaru Legacy. L, I think.

Also, the trip meter no longer resets. Any idea what part name and number that is?

Thanks.

The illumination dimmer is controlled by the combination switch on the turn signal stalk. The combination switch is part number 83118FC030. The dial on the cluster is part number 85077AE00A, but it is no longer available from Subaru.

Thanks for the info. Option #2 is to remove existing Knob and repair it. Bought some of those plastic tools so I don't scratch the dash. Wish me luck.

Related problem is that the trip meter reset button no longer works. I guess that is a matter of REMOVING THE DASH, oiling and cleaning and reinstalling. Right?

P.S. Now a little bit of a rant. I have a 2003 Subaru Legacy. I live in the mountains so there are tons of them up here. Many older than mine. I can no longer get OEM mats. I can't get the above mentioned part. On the other hand, I can get any OEM part for other older cars I own.

Archived