LegacyGT.com

Hello everyone! Got a steal; I'm a LGT guy now!

Hello everyone. I'm happy to join you all. I've been lurking for a few weeks researching my new toy, a silver 2005 LGT 5AET. After failing to find a manual Forester XT, I stumbled on to my 05 LGT. It's a city car so it had very few miles - 51000 - but lots of bumps and scrapes. This will be my 20th car or so, my favorite of which was my old 02 WRX wagon with pulleys a TBE and tune.

I've elected to keep the body beat up, make it faster and enjoy the ride. Full sleeper status. I flashed a Cobb stage 1 91 octane map last week and am ordering a downpipe and uppipe as soon as I sell my old MINI cooper. So far I feel this thing pulls nearly as hard at "stage 1" as my old WRX.

If I ever figure how to load pictures, I'll throw some shots up. Not much to see though; other than the damage.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by. I'll update this thread as my project log.

Things done so far:

Inspections

Rotate, balance and alignment (had a bad shimmy at 60+)

Filled the existing control arm bushings with windshield urethane (ghetto and temporary)

Cobb AP stage 1 tune

On order:

Oil and filter

Air filter

BG 44k

1 step colder plugs (changing when I get the exhaust and stage 2 map in)

Left front inner cv boot kit (torn badly)

These cars don't do well if driven for short drives, "city car". I would tread lightly until your sure the motor is sound.

It might be nice to do a few quick oil changes and may be a long drive on the highway after the first quick oil change.

Also learn how to check the oil and never let it get low, in fact never let it get below full, a little over is fine.

Diff fluids should be changed at every 30,000 miles. Motul gear 300 is the best stuff for that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

a Blackstone Oil analysis would be very helpful to see whats really going on

And as Max Capacity's sig says.... these cars use oil; so check it frequently.

an easy way to insert pictures: use a uploading site ( i use imgur )/ upload the photo and right click--> copy image address

paste the image address like so "YourImageAddress.jpg"

To insert photo's,

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/load-pictures-and-files-sites-server-251315.html?t=251315

You may have to log out to get this to work. you do that from the log out link under avatar on the upper left side of the Home Page for this site.

I had to do that...took me a long time to figure that out. The MOD's can help you with that, too. I know that because they helped me.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Thanks for the replies guys. So far I've driven it on a 400 mile road trip. The engine feels strong and doesn't leak anything. It was a foolish trip because I'd only just bought the thing, but it had to be done. Oil level was topped up beforehand, at least.

Right front bumper damage. There's more damage to bumper in the center as well; slightly visible in the pic here. You can almost see the wear on the hood scoop in this pic. The paint is worn about an inch back from the front of the scoop. It's riddled with little tag-screw marks on both bumpers, all the wheels are scuffed and they side swiped something - though there was mercifully little damage.

ykq2AwR.png

Wednesday, I change the oil with some German Castrol 0w30 for winter, run some BG 44k, change the air filter and do an inner cv boot up front. Exciting stuff. I also decided not to wait for the MINI to sell to treat myself to an up and down pipe. Those are getting ordered imminently.

Hey, your car is about to fall out of your profile picture! :)

It's nice not to have to worry about keeping everything perfect. The mechanical stuff is way more important.

Still, silver was a popular color, you might be able to find another bumper cover as a take-off from somebody parting out. Wheels can be reconditioned. You could mask off, prep and spray touch-up paint just on that area in front of the hood scoop.

If you plan well, bolt the turbo to the up pipe. It's much easier. Replace the oil return hose too.

Check the valve cover for leaks, while your down there.

jpg.gif DSCN4782.JPG (1.72 MB)

jpg.gif valvecover leak.JPG (1.73 MB)

DSCN4782.thumb.JPG.48036a9ad0c565d348dc4d0de33bec91.JPG

9913152_valvecoverleak.thumb.JPG.33f6c2c804f550781464952c86e2f084.JPG

That looks like most the Legacy for sale here but with 280K miles for $9K and no history outside of whatever carfax reports.

Luckily when I got my LGT back in Manassas, Va it was 1 owner and the entire life of the car was documented here.

So I did pretty well for $5000, huh? :-)

I think I'll do the hood scoop myself. It's pretty ratty and should cost like $30 for a can of primer and some color-matched aerosol. If the bumpers are much more than $500, I'm going to keep them scuffed and dinged. I'd rather spend that money on some projector assemblies.

48fVEUW.jpg

I'm eyeballing a whiteline rear sway bar as well. May ask for that for December (my anniversary/birthday/Christmas/New Years month). The end links are already on order.

Can anyone confirm that the legacy and legacy GT bumpers are the same part, sedan to sedan? I'm looking at painted-to-match bumper covers on eBay. I think that's the route to go - my bumpers need too much work to make it worthwhile. Also, is it the bracket underneath the headlight that secures the front bumper cover on either side? Both sides are popped out just behind the headlight. They snap back in momentarily but pop right back out. Probably need to budget a pair of those brackets as well, if so.

Went nuts and ordered a whiteline 20mm rear sway bar and Moog end links today while I was at it.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/ the service manual may help.

Or go to most any Subaru dealers web site link on the parts link and look up the part number for both models.

Or http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/oem-online-subaru-parts-vendors-list-42243.html

or ask Benny from post 175,

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/oem-online-subaru-parts-vendors-list-42243p5.html

New guy's.... don't worry, we're here to help...most of the time...;) Though some of us have been known to becomes "trolls" is we haven't had our morning coffee...LOL

Wow, thanks for the service manual link! I'm happy for any deserved trolling. I did verrify through a parts catalogue that the bumper covers are the same. But yeah, I either need to pull the bumper or call Subaru to verify the retainer bits are integrated into those headlight brackets.

f60975b4de7f1fbda07626978ad501be.png

I'm looking at number 6.

Eventful evening. I did my Cv boot but am so used to German cars, I didn't have the tool for the CV strap clamp. I improvised well enough but not without punching the razor thin strap and opening up one of knuckles to the bone. No good. I like the Subaru CV design. It's much nicer to work on than all those tiny needle bearings.

Did my oil change, air filter and BG 44k additive as well.

I found an oil leak from what looks like the filter housing/oil cooler. Found some seepage from the power steering pump and a coolant hose that was ready to pop off. Sorted the coolant issue out but the rest will have to wait until I get a stitch in my damn finger!

When I got home I was greeted with packages full of downpipe and sway bar! On balance, I'd prefer to have not gashed my finger but it was a good evening otherwise.

Eventful evening. I did my Cv boot but am so used to German cars, I didn't have the tool for the CV strap clamp. I improvised well enough but not without punching the razor thin strap and opening up one of knuckles to the bone. No good. I like the Subaru CV design. It's much nicer to work on than all those tiny needle bearings.

Did my oil change, air filter and BG 44k additive as well.

I found an oil leak from what looks like the filter housing/oil cooler. Found some seepage from the power steering pump and a coolant hose that was ready to pop off. Sorted the coolant issue out but the rest will have to wait until I get a stitch in my damn finger!

When I got home I was greeted with packages full of downpipe and sway bar! On balance, I'd prefer to have not gashed my finger but it was a good evening otherwise.

Yeah plenty of places to cut yourself on these cars, guess a wee bit too late to say "Be Careful". Mechanix gloves help a little but but full force As for additives, send that oil off when you are done to have it checked. Blackstone labs or Polaris(or whatever name AMSOIL uses for the kits) is the ones folks use the most. Polaris actually send you more info than BSL even after you spend a few more on TBN.

Clean it up and monitor it for now. There is a red seal for the cooler housing, cheaper than replacing the entire housing granted it's state is still unknown. I'm only replacing mine based on known blown turbo and shortblock. My paint still looks good from all the people crashing into it from NoVA and CLE living. Even the plastic trunk piece that cracked got replaced.

Archived