LegacyGT.com

Just bought a 98 outback wagon... Most of the stuff works... Basic questions

2.5 auto, dual sun roofs... pretty sweet.

Theres an LED panel just under the tach. Is it supposed to be a digital read out of "P-R-N-D-L?" because its not working. I thought 4k on the freeway seemed like high revs till i looked down at the shifter n saw i had another gear. 2500 rpms at 70ish was much better.

I love having cruise control again.

The Cig lighter in the front dont work, the back does. Fuse?

The dome light stays off when you open the door, and wont turn on even if I play with the switch. It feels like the switch is broken because its missing the tab to slide the mechanism back n forth. It could be jammed in the off position because the back one light on when the tail gate is open. Also when you open the door, the corner light on the door turns on. So at least one switch works. Thats as much testing on it. Fuse, switch, bulb???

The drivers side map light works, the pass side doesnt.

The brakes are squashy, i tested em out in the rain last night and a tire locked up, abs works, and i shoulda been stopping much faster. My 95 had worn out drums in the back, and smaller discs in front and it still stopped faster. I gotta rusty caliper, so hopefully nothins seized and its a brake bleed is the culprit.

I gotta just about max out the e-brake before it keep the car from rolling. Im guessin pop out the center console n adjust is all i gotta do.

About to roll into les schwab n get their prognosis.

I need new struts for the tailgate because its goes "limp"

Timing belt was done 5/2016, the h20 pump wasnt.

Has 171,000 miles

Party on Wayne

Theres an LED panel just under the tach. Is it supposed to be a digital read out of "P-R-N-D-L?" because its not working. I thought 4k on the freeway seemed like high revs till i looked down at the shifter n saw i had another gear. 2500 rpms at 70ish was much better.

I don't recall the second gen utilizing the PRND321 on the gauge cluster even though there is a spot that technically looks like it should work. The 3rd gen has it on the cluster though.

Either the fuse or the socket itself. I just swapped mine out for a dual USB plug

The dome light stays off when you open the door, and wont turn on even if I play with the switch. It feels like the switch is broken because its missing the tab to slide the mechanism back n forth. It could be jammed in the off position because the back one light on when the tail gate is open. Also when you open the door, the corner light on the door turns on. So at least one switch works. Thats as much testing on it. Fuse, switch, bulb???

Sounds like an internal issue of the dome light switches. Find one in the junkyard and pull it.

The brakes are squashy, i tested em out in the rain last night and a tire locked up, abs works, and i shoulda been stopping much faster. My 95 had worn out drums in the back, and smaller discs in front and it still stopped faster. I gotta rusty caliper, so hopefully nothins seized and its a brake bleed is the culprit.

I gotta just about max out the e-brake before it keep the car from rolling. Im guessin pop out the center console n adjust is all i gotta do.

Welcome to second gen ownership. My first order of business was to swap on a set of H6 brakes in the rear and WRX rotors and pads in the front. The Outback has dual-pot calipers (same as the WRX), so no sense in swapping those.

Timing belt was done 5/2016, the h20 pump wasnt.

Has 171,000 miles

Party on Wayne

Easy fixes overall. I have a 99 Outback Wagon with dual moonroofs that needs a motor and transmission. I am dragging my feet on working on it due to other projects at hand.

No read on the gauge - you have to check the shifter.

Try the fuse

Do you have a multimeter? If not, you should get one that also has a continuity test (beep function). Try to figure out if they are getting voltage (around 12V) when they should. If not, work your way up the system. You should be able to get 12V between a hot wire and the chassis ground (really any unpainted metal surface on the car).

Try amazon for struts. Though mine only lasted a few years before it stopped going up all the way

Archived