LegacyGT.com

Clutch Pedal Feel after Replacement

I'm on the tail end of my extended warranty and was "lucky" enough to have something go wrong just a couple months shy of it expiring.

Quite suddenly my clutch pedal would not come up at its normal speed. Basically felt like all the hydraulics ran out or something like that. It pretty quickly got worse and I totally had to play with the clutch and gas just to get the car home (couple of miles). The gearing felt very slushy and sluggish quickly. I also noticed that when in gear at the dashboard would always say I was in 1st no matter what gear I was in. It was obvious that something was wrong.

Had it towed to the closest Subaru (thank you again warranty) . In the end they found that I had a cracked clutch fork and they were able to replace and cover parts and labor for mostly everything except the clutch disk and cover itself.

Here is my question: how does/did your oem clutch pedal feel in terms of stiffness? The clutch pedal now feels much softer than before. I'm talking light...like almost gas pedal light. The engagement point is fine, the same i would say, as is the shifting and gearing (yes we dont have the best clutch and tranny but you learn it).

It makes me wonder if my clutch pedal and clutch have had an issue all this time as I always thought it was a pretty stiff clutch, or is there a problem now because the clutch is so soft? I did have a strange incident a few years back where my clutch wouldn't engage and I just had to rest the car for 10 minutes and all was well up until now. Definitely makes me think...

is there any way to adjust this if i wanted to?

An interesting discovery was that the top two bolts for the bell housing were very difficult to remove. The technician thinks they were cross threaded so the holes to be re-tapped.

By the way, I've kept my car mostly stock purposely through it's extended warranty period. Some minor only such as tint, outback rear sway, sti front strut bar. The time may be nearing to do something non-stock...

Mine's pretty stiff as well (still on the original), but there have been multiple reports on here of the same thing you're noticing. I think JJBerk had some warranty work done on her GT for similar reasons, if she pops back in here maybe she can add her two cents.

I had the dealer replace my stock clutch at 59k during a warranty headgasket replacement. The original clutch had a heavy pedal or so everyone else that drove the car told me. The OEM replacement had a noticeably feather light pedal.....for a couple thousand miles. Now it's heavy again. Doesn't bother me at all. I still have the hydraulic clutch damper thingy in place.

Well after putting more city miles on it and a rest it already feels stiffer. Still much lighter than before. If it stiffens up a bit more over time I'm good.

I do feel the travel is slightly more, just a tad on the bottoming out (pedal only, not engagement).

Has anyone adjusted clutch Pedal travel?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

If the clutch travel is adjusted, this affects the amount the clutch fork moves. The pedal travel will stay about the same, the freeplay will stay about the same.
It's a hydraulic clutch there isn't any adjustment for it. I would bet the greased tob and pivot on the clutch fork are where the decreased pedal effort comes from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

It's a hydraulic clutch there isn't any adjustment for it. I would bet the greased tob and pivot on the clutch fork are where the decreased pedal effort comes from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

^^This is exactly why. Had exact same issue but my fork busted all the way through @ 135k though so it definitely did it's job. I used a stock exedy clutch as well and it also stiffened up after 1k mi or so. It may be possible to grease the TOB from the lower access plate.

Mine is still pretty smooth and not nearly as hard as it was before the new clutch. I probably have 6k miles on it, but a lot of city driving.
Oh yeah it's definitely much better then even when I first got the car. I knew something was up after about a week but the dealer knew and tried to play it off like the warranty wouldn't cover the TOB. I heard rumors that someone was had it at the drags with a dealer tag on it and it had like 4k more miles then listed online so I think they knew SOA might question it.

Quick update.. As other folks stated the pedal feel has stiffened up continuously over time. Still not where it was before the clutch replacement, but it's pretty much to my liking now. It actually feels like this is the way it should have always been.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Archived