LegacyGT.com

Compression Test and Leak Down numbers - opinions?

It's two tables and you have two kind of manually relate the data, maybe one day I'll try graphing it out.

The reason the link looks so humpy is because the car is hesitating due to leanness. I'm amazed Subaru allowed this sort of hesitation on a factory car. What I found interesting is, I recently disabled the CL delay on a friends mostly stock auto Outback XT. The car went from running 9-10 peak PSI to 12-13psi! It was still on the map with reasonable AFR's and timing values, so it was still safe to drive on a stock tune.

My problem with stage 1 is, it's gonna run more boost, it will be richer at least. But with your compression you don't really wanna run more boost. Especially if your not planning on removing that stock catted up pipe (which you should as a very first mod).

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At 80-99% throttle, is there much difference between 100% throttle? Is it just me, but it seems like sometimes at half/three quarter throttle it seems like it runs full out...

Funny you mention that, we have talked about that year ago with these cars.

They do feel great at 3/4 throttle, fun without needing WOT.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Since you appreciate data, here are the two tables.

As you press the throttle pedal, it assigns an arbitrary number called requested torque (not correlated to real torque output).

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=258224&stc=1&d=1510698485

Then based on that requested torque value, it will open the throttle plate more or less.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=258225&stc=1&d=1510698485

So at 70% throttle pedal, your asking for 285tq, which translates to ~70% opening angle. I guess it's actually more linear then I though at 70% for our cars. I think with boost, throttle position is really arbitrary because turbo will shove air even past a partially closed throttle plate.

1913060046_RequestedTorqueTable.PNG.85779774d6d6aa5f8a7b229d97aba62d.PNG

1488248682_TargetThrottlePlatePositionTable.PNG.9734d5da480c47f2c5325419675f18a2.PNG

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

My problem with stage 1 is, it's gonna run more boost, it will be richer at least. But with your compression you don't really wanna run more boost. Especially if your not planning on removing that stock catted up pipe (which you should as a very first mod).

I actually inquired with someone to mail me their STi up pipe, just awaiting confirmation, so that will be done, before winters fully afoot. Only debate then becomes, do I just say "fudge it" and do the down pipe as well? I'm not sure if cryo can create an e tune that nets positive performance with more reliability while riding it out.

That boost statement does seem to play a large part of what we believe as exponential when it does seem more linear.

Edit: within the past week it does seem that the car produces more stink at higher throttle... maybe the kitten will come out the tail pipe?

• Moderators
Edit: within the past week it does seem that the car produces more stink at higher throttle... maybe the kitten will come out the tail pipe?

If you are wondering if the DP cat converters might be disintegrating, it's not likely. The converters on the turbo subarus are pretty high quality. Possible, but not likely.

If you *do* end up pulling off a stock pipe with cat converters in tact, I buy them for scrap. If you feel like selling it you can recoup some of the upgrade cost :)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
Not that my car is looking for 18+ PSI, but maybe one day! Can you by chance still create the bolt through option as opposed to the strap kind? Either way, I am ready to buy a kit whenever they are ready!

I *could*, but honestly there's zero need / benefit. The metal tie design is better in every way and I would have to charge probably double the price if I was doing the old style. I have personally run both versions, there's no reason to run the threaded rod / nut version.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I just like to "screw" around. Ahhh, hilarious.

I would just think that the bolt setup would be easier removal and install and not require the band tool. Seems difficult to get that strap as tight as a bolt.

Ended up buying an accessport and grimmspeed exhaust kit. I am still searching for an up pipe. I will go stage 1 with a catless up pipe and run it while accumulating a short block, and possibly buying junkyard heads and have them rebuilt. If a used cobb downpipe is for sale, I'll be interested as well.

Cobb has 10% off until Sunday I think, and rally sport direct is 10% off until tuesday.

Up Pipe, accessport, and exhaust gasket kit on its way.

Probably going to order the downpipe and let it sit due to sale price.

I am seeing heads for $600s-800s. Rebuild, and a new shortblock should be around $3k or so. I will look into what heads I should go with in case d25 are yielding better results...

Might end up building a stage 2 block for the up to 550flywheel hp. Lots of good things on Craigslist lately.

Waiting on arrival of UP,DP, mid pipe section, and AccessPort.

Contacted Brian at Heuberger Subaru which he states...

"Looks like the VIN you gave me (05 Legacy GT) actually comes with the 04-07 STI 257 short block, the 10103AC870.* It is $1699 + $130 shipping.* The difference between the 257 STI and 255 is the pistons, rods, and nitrided crankshaft, same case halves.* Subaru only offers assembled short blocks, no long blocks unfortunately.* Subaru also only offers bare heads, so the cams, valvetrain, etc is all individual."

I thought we were EJ255 specific... seems I am wrong?

Waiting on arrival of UP,DP, mid pipe section, and AccessPort.

Contacted Brian at Heuberger Subaru which he states...

"Looks like the VIN you gave me (05 Legacy GT) actually comes with the 04-07 STI 257 short block, the 10103AC870.* It is $1699 + $130 shipping.* The difference between the 257 STI and 255 is the pistons, rods, and nitrided crankshaft, same case halves.* Subaru only offers assembled short blocks, no long blocks unfortunately.* Subaru also only offers bare heads, so the cams, valvetrain, etc is all individual."

I thought we were EJ255 specific... seems I am wrong?

Yes. The LGT EJ255 and the STi EJ257 are identical: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/05-06-lgts-255-04-06-stis-257-once-and-264989.html?p=5684181#post5684181

Archived