LegacyGT.com

Cusco Touring-A Shocks for BM chassis

We have another shock option gents. Apparently one of the SJ Forester guys ordered these and installed them (fronts only) over on the subaruforester.org forum, and then as typically happens when someone doesn't contribute, he never came back to tell the rest of us how good or bad they are.

http://www.cuscousainc.com/products/coil-over/touring-a.html

1186356227_cuscotouringa.thumb.jpg.236c33c1a2e6baf02f93b7361ec3fa97.jpg

Just curious. I see a lot of discussions on shocks/struts and lowering springs on here but rarely any discussion on coilovers.

Why is that? (Curious. Not trying to come off as an ass)

For around the same price of those shocks and struts you can buy the same set up I have , Gecko G-racing coilovers, 32 way adjustable with camber plates. Gecko uses the same internals as Tein. I've had them for about 2 years and absolutely love them.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I've seen these pop up on the JP auctions before, but was never sure enough of the difference between USDM and JDM in this regard. Do you think the fit would likely be the same between the two?

As long as they are for 5x100 cars, they will fit ours. No difference otherwise except maybe small differences in valving for the slightly heavier rear of the a wagon, but not enough to cause anything of concern on a sedan.

Here's a link to one of the static auctions for these: https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w204070760

Price hovers around $300 (depending on Yen -> USD conversion), I would imagine probably about the same in shipping if I had to guess. Is there a stateside place to source these?

Just curious. I see a lot of discussions on shocks/struts and lowering springs on here but rarely any discussion on coilovers.

Why is that? (Curious. Not trying to come off as an ass)

For around the same price of those shocks and struts you can buy the same set up I have , Gecko G-racing coilovers, 32 way adjustable with camber plates. Gecko uses the same internals as Tein. I've had them for about 2 years and absolutely love them.

Really, what is to discuss? You either want to run them or don't. None of them last long before requiring a rebuild. There are 3 distinct tiers of quality.

Tier 1 - Racelands, Godspeed, Stance, etc. which are cheap, not only in price but also quality.

Tier 2 - non-adjustable valving such as some Tein, KW V1, Tarmac 0, and adjustables such as ISC, BC, Feal, Fortune, etc. which are decent quality and get the job done.

Tier 3 - KW V3, Ohlins, AST, etc which are good quality, with good valving and decent longevity but are out of most peoples price range.

You can either afford a Tier or not. End of story. Coilovers are coilovers and they either rust so bad you can't move the perches, start making noise, or wear out and need a rebuild.

Shock options however are far and few between, and depending on the need, you must pair the shock with the spring. Longevity, and a better than OEM upgrade without being harsh is usually the goal.

Here's a link to one of the static auctions for these: https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w204070760

Price hovers around $300 (depending on Yen -> USD conversion), I would imagine probably about the same in shipping if I had to guess. Is there a stateside place to source these?

Uh...you don't need to get them from Japan. The link I provided was for Cusco USA and they show a plethora of dealers that can get them here in the US.

Really, what is to discuss? You either want to run them or don't. None of them last long before requiring a rebuild. There are 3 distinct tiers of quality.

Tier 1 - Racelands, Godspeed, Stance, etc. which are cheap, not only in price but also quality.

Tier 2 - non-adjustable valving such as some Tein, KW V1, Tarmac 0, and adjustables such as ISC, BC, Feal, Fortune, etc. which are decent quality and get the job done.

Tier 3 - KW V3, Ohlins, AST, etc which are good quality, with good valving and decent longevity but are out of most peoples price range.

You can either afford a Tier or not. End of story. Coilovers are coilovers and they either rust so bad you can't move the perches, start making noise, or wear out and need a rebuild.

Shock options however are far and few between, and depending on the need, you must pair the shock with the spring. Longevity, and a better than OEM upgrade without being harsh is usually the goal.

Thanks GT. I wasn't looking to discuss anything. Just curious why people more so go the spring,shock,strut route.

As for the rust. I live in Canada. Salt happy plow guys and harsh winters and my coilovers are as good as new. Antiseize all over the perches and threads prevents that :) .

I've run springs and struts on 5 of my cars and can say that I prefer the ride quality of the coilovers.

Anyways. Thanks for the response!

You don't have to get em from Japan, but the link you posted showed a retail price of nearly $1k for all four corners stateside Joe

The ad that Humble posted was about $300 for just the front 2, not the set of 4. I would guess that the rears would be $300 as well, and then shipping for something that large and heavy (probably 40 pounds or more) could easily top $300, so buying them stateside makes sense when you can speak directly with the dealer to make sure you get the right stuff.

Very cool find.

Good to have additional options laid out before the inevitable rebuild sneaks up on those with the now-discontinued GTWorx/Bilsteins shocks. Although, they can supposedly be rebuilt by Bilstein in San Diego at cost.

. Gecko uses the same internals as Tein. I've had them for about 2 years and absolutely love them.

Where are you getting this info? There's barely any info on gecko in the states and this I've definitely never seen. The few members who have gecko coils on their 6th gen say its a harsh/stiff ride which is the opposite on tein coilover. My experience has been more on the comfortable side for tein coils vs other brands.

Also the difference in coil overs and lowering springs is night and day when it comes to ride quality. Lowering springs with the right shock will be more comfortable than higher spring rate coil overs.

Not trying to argue lol just looking for clarification

Thanks GT. I wasn't looking to discuss anything. Just curious why people more so go the spring,shock,strut route.

As for the rust. I live in Canada. Salt happy plow guys and harsh winters and my coilovers are as good as new. Antiseize all over the perches and threads prevents that :) .

I've run springs and struts on 5 of my cars and can say that I prefer the ride quality of the coilovers.

Anyways. Thanks for the response!

I went coilovers because of the "personalization" I guess - first time on them with a car. I did enjoy my Eibachs tho at the beginning....

Where are you getting this info? There's barely any info on gecko in the states and this I've definitely never seen. The few members who have gecko coils on their 6th gen say its a harsh/stiff ride which is the opposite on tein coilover. My experience has been more on the comfortable side for tein coils vs other brands.

Also the difference in coil overs and lowering springs is night and day when it comes to ride quality. Lowering springs with the right shock will be more comfortable than higher spring rate coil overs.

Not trying to argue lol just looking for clarification

I have them on my car and daily it. The ride quality on the 32 way adjustable set is awesome. Like any other adjustable coilover you need to have the dampening set up properly from front to back to balance comfort and performance.

I have had many people comment on how good the ride quality is. To be honest it doesn't feel any more "harsh" than my friends 2012 S4 with stock suspention or my friends Q5 with his $5k KW coilover set up.

As for the info. I found a lot just with a Google search. I may have been incorrect by saying Tein internals. In fact they use the same NOK oil seal as Tein.

I have had mutilple different set ups on cars over the years included BC coilovers on my old SRT-4. I can honestly say Gecko is top notch.

Just ran through a bunch of Subie forums and it seems NOBODY is actually running these (except like 1 Reddit thread with an STi driver running fronts and a Prius(!!!) which was fully Cusco'd out). I find that odd since Cusco is a very well-known aftermarket parts brand, and this "model" line has been out for quite a while.

I'm running a set of RCE blacks (320lbs front and rear) with them. I'll try to get pics when I get a chance.

My goal was to get a more comfortable ride with slightly better handling and I'm quite happy with them. My brother in law has a 2016 WRX and he says my car rides more comfortably than his stock setup.

Pics please. And a little write up with the spring rates you're running would be helpful.

I run a set of these shocks on my 2011 STI and love them.

It's super early in the morning for me so bear with me. Are these the "Regular Guy" springs? If so, RCE lists them as basically an OEM length spring (because 5mm isn't a drop at all tbh...). I'm very interested in who's running them with a ~1" drop. I asked a person in Japan who's apparently running them very recently with Tein H.Tech's as to how the ride quality was. (

) My Japanese is meh, but I understand the response to be that it is still a compliant ride that isn't too harsh. (edit: I do get that overall spring rates contribute to that as well, so thanks for providing those.)

Archived