LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket Remote Start with Keyless Entry

Hi all,

I have a 2015 2.5i Limited with keyless entry. Wondering if anyone has added an aftermarket remote start and if any issues have appeared. One thing I am worried about is that my keyless entry will not work the same. It is probably my favorite feature, not having to ever take my keys out of my pocket, so I would only want to add remote start if everything else stayed the same. I would have gone factory install, but my dealer said the range is awful on the stock ones.

Also, any brands to recommend?

Thanks!

I have the Drone Mobile system installed (which includes the key fob and PC/phone controls and access) on my 2015 Legacy Limited with keyless start/entry.

Everything still works the same when the system is locked and armed: I can still walk up to the vehicle and open the door via driver's handle, the vehicle behaving the same as if the Drone Mobile system wasn't installed. No other issues observed.

I have the factory install and would not say (or at least in my experience) that the "range was awful". I used the separate FOB transmitter once and it worked fine. But I can use the fob on the second story of my office and "zap" my car out in the parking lot and it works every time with the key fob. I would say 100ft easy line of site. Maybe the elevation helps and of course that's thru glass. However I understand the freq. is around 300MHz for North America which would penetrate pretty easily. I also hear the separate FOB for the factory install start is about 4X further in range but I have not done any tests. Sure is nice to get in a warm car though no matter what you choose.

I’ve heard that the OEM Remote start requires the car to turn off when you get in and then you have to restart it. That sounds really annoying

OP - I’m in the same location and have the same car - nice !

yes oem remote start shuts the car down when u open the door and have to re start it.thats the main reason why I didn’t go factory route.

yes oem remote start shuts the car down when u open the door and have to re start it.thats the main reason why I didn’t go factory route.
As usual after placing an Order, one starts finding these things out...

Anyway to trick the Factory Version?

I wish someone did have a hack cause this to me seems really misguided. Maybe I'm missing something. Ok, so having it cut off when door opened is a theft deterrent? That does not seem logical because I just opened the door with my proximity key/or FOB. Sure - no key and door opens= shut down. But why shut down when the key is apparent?

Anyway, I guess one could disable the door switch but I'm sure that has other ramifications.

I believe it is primarily for safety reasons so your child doesn’t get into the vehicle with it turned on. This is the same fob type from when it was a keyed ignition like mine, so perhaps they just haven’t devoted time to come up with a new design. Maybe it will change when everything is keyless start.

The only way I could think of to work around this would be to disable the sensor that says “driver door open” but I don’t know what would happen if you tried to drive away.

I wish someone did have a hack cause this to me seems really misguided. Maybe I'm missing something. Ok, so having it cut off when door opened is a theft deterrent? That does not seem logical because I just opened the door with my proximity key/or FOB. Sure - no key and door opens= shut down. But why shut down when the key is apparent?

Anyway, I guess one could disable the door switch but I'm sure that has other ramifications.

Disabling the door switch doesn't help on the extended range ones. Its shuts down as soon as you press the push button start (insert the key), depress the brake or press the shift release button on the shift lever.

The only logical reason I came up with is that it prevents you from starting the car, leave the keys at home and drive a million miles away and then be stuck with not being able to start the car again coz now you don't have the keys! We'd obviously call SOA at that point and bitch at what a stupid system they had.

A better route they could have gone is to only remote start the car when all doors are locked, that way when you tried to get into the car without the keys, you wouldn't be able to!

Well I reckon it'll be one of those things I'll have to get used to...

The 2017 Honda Accord V6 I just sold had Remote Start with it's own quirks... After the 'Remote Start' (10min. limit) only the Engine and Climate Control would be working... No Radio or Power Outputs to the USBs would be 'On'...

To turn the whole car 'On', you had to step on the Brake, push the Start Button (with the Engine Running) and then wait for the dang Radio to Start...

I'll pretty much have to do the same thing, I just hope the Subaru Radio isn't so dang slow to start... Heck, I'll get used to it, just like I got used to not using a Key... :)

Well I reckon it'll be one of those things I'll have to get used to...

The 2017 Honda Accord V6 I just sold had Remote Start with it's own quirks... After the 'Remote Start' (10min. limit) only the Engine and Climate Control would be working... No Radio or Power Outputs to the USBs would be 'On'...

To turn the whole car 'On', you had to step on the Brake, push the Start Button (with the Engine Running) and then wait for the dang Radio to Start...

I'll pretty much have to do the same thing, I just hope the Subaru Radio isn't so dang slow to start... Heck, I'll get used to it, just like I got used to not using a Key... :)

You will. Even with the take over working, you still need to press the brake pedal and press the start button. Its just that with the factory one the engine turns over. It bothered me in the beginning that it was basically twice the number of cranks my starter would see. But then if the starter did give out, its probably only a couple a hundred bucks. You must have already saved that in the price difference between going the factory route vs after market.

Hello all; I was going over xmas list & saw this in an ad ... Viper 5706V w DBALL2 for $149 ... it appears DBALL2 will allow the viper system to work with our pts Subies up to 2017's ...

https://www.directechs.com/product.aspx?sku=DBALL2#firmwaretab

however from the installer instructions - they will need access/accounts with advanced setup features to setup & not sacrifice a smart key ... https://directechs.blob.core.windows.net/documents/dball2-subaru3_en_ig_pga20170627.pdf

All remote start systems I've had on my cars (including my '05 LGT) would lock the doors when the engine started but allowed you to unlock the doors and sit in the car without turning off the engine. Once inside, I had to insert the key and turn it on before touching anything including the brake pedal or it would shut down.

BTW, I haven't installed a remote starter in my '17 yet but I've been testing the range of the factory key remote and it's nowhere near as bad as some people make out. I'd say it's easily good for 100 ft. So it wouldn't have started the car from my office but it will from my home (I'm retired now) or a small mall. The local store tells me I can have the basic system working off the factory key and if I don't like it they can add two-way remotes with long range later for the cost of the remotes.

For anyone considering remote start, I STRONGLY suggest looking into cellular Drone Mobile over a Viper system.

I've owned both Viper and Drone Mobile systems. I LOVE the Drone setup. It's MORE reliable than GM Onstar!

Everyone asks why I chose a Drone over Viper.

-- It will automatically turn on the rear windshield defroster below a technician specified temp, usually 42 degrees. Viper can do this but it requires an additional module.

-- The app will tell you in real time what the temperature is in your car. I guess it has a sensor or something, but it's a great feature, for no extra charge.

-- You don't need an additional fob. It comes with one but I've never used it. I strictly use the OEM key + the iPhone app to start my car. It's faster and you receive an immediate confirmation.

-- It costs less!

For anyone considering remote start, I STRONGLY suggest looking into cellular Drone Mobile over a Viper system.

I've owned both Viper and Drone Mobile systems. I LOVE the Drone setup. It's MORE reliable than GM Onstar!

Everyone asks why I chose a Drone over Viper.

-- It will automatically turn on the rear windshield defroster below a technician specified temp, usually 42 degrees. Viper can do this but it requires an additional module.

-- The app will tell you in real time what the temperature is in your car. I guess it has a sensor or something, but it's a great feature, for no extra charge.

-- You don't need an additional fob. It comes with one but I've never used it. I strictly use the OEM key + the iPhone app to start my car. It's faster and you receive an immediate confirmation.

-- It costs less!

I’m in the market for a remote start but am turned away by the the car shutting off when a door is opened.

What is the takeover sequence with the Drone Mobile system?? I may be be sold if the car doesn’t shut off like the oem remote start when a door is opened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m in the market for a remote start but am turned away by the the car shutting off when a door is opened.

What is the takeover sequence with the Drone Mobile system?? I may be be sold if the car doesn’t shut off like the oem remote start when a door is opened.

I have the same Drone system installed in my PTS 2015 Legacy.

You remote start the vehicle with the key fob or app. You have the key fob on you, unlock the doors using the key fob, Within 45 secs from

unlocking the doors, open the driver's door, get in, close door. Wait a few secs for the key fob to be recognized for the takeover, then

press and release brake pedal.

The engine stays on, car is now turned over to the driver as if it was a fresh engine turnover, without the engine restarting. If you take too long, it doesn't work and the engine turns off if you press the brake pedal (cause it thinks someone is jacking the car, even with the key fob, if it's past 45secs).

I have the same Drone system installed in my PTS 2015 Legacy.

You remote start the vehicle with the key fob or app. You have the key fob on you, unlock the doors using the key fob, Within 45 secs from

unlocking the doors, open the driver's door, get in, close door. Wait a few secs for the key fob to be recognized for the takeover, then

press and release brake pedal.

The engine stays on, car is now turned over to the driver as if it was a fresh engine turnover, without the engine restarting. If you take too long, it doesn't work and the engine turns off if you press the brake pedal (cause it thinks someone is jacking the car, even with the key fob, if it's past 45secs).

Awesome, thank you! Do you remember roughly how much you spent?

I'm going to call for some quotes today. This was I can weed out the overpriced ones.

Archived