LegacyGT.com

Short block

$1700 shipped from Heubergers in Colorado is the cheapest you will find, (even though the Subaru west coast distribution center is right here in PDX!). Just had one shipped out. Horizontal Motorsports would be a decent choice, I just prefer the customer service and level of professionalism at Cobb Surgeline over by Bridgeport

$1700 shipped from Heubergers in Colorado is the cheapest you will find, (even though the Subaru west coast distribution center is right here in PDX!). Just had one shipped out. Horizontal Motorsports would be a decent choice, I just prefer the customer service and level of professionalism at Cobb Surgeline over by Bridgeport

Ill check them out hms is a bit pricey for what they have

• 9 months later...
Ok so after my car has been sitting collecting dust for several months now im going to pull the engine and start the rebuild process ive found that it has a burnt valve on #2 and compression is low on #4. Ive decided to rebuild the short block myself i will be using manly rods with je pistons and rings. What i would like advice on at this point is what rod and main bearings and gasket kit should be used?

ynansb = you need a new shortblock

It's something that has been said here so much that sometimes people will just use that acronym.

There was member here named Mr. Tris that made a pretty long thread with lots of info on what to you should do, and what to expect when going through an engine rebuild. I don't know the details, but I think he got banned a few years ago, and his "ynansb" thread is gone too. I remember someone saved the post, and posted it again, but I can't seem to find that one either.

I don't think you can do a proper rebuild of an EJ255/7 short block for less than what you can buy the brand new one for.

You'll have $900-1200 in rods and pistons before you even take the crank and case halves to the machine shop.

That is true but do they come with forged internals that can hold up for when i get a wild hair and i decided to add a bunch of other stuff? Im one of those that stock or a little above stock isnt good enough lol

The EJ257 short block everyone is buying is the one that comes in the STi. They're around 300hp in stock form and the conventional wisdom is they're good for around 450 without issue.

If you're planning to go bigger than that . . . better save up for a 6 speed first. Keep in mind the car you're throwing all this money at is now and will always be a 2005.

The EJ257 short block everyone is buying is the one that comes in the STi. They're around 300hp in stock form and the conventional wisdom is they're good for around 450 without issue.

If you're planning to go bigger than that . . . better save up for a 6 speed first. Keep in mind the car you're throwing all this money at is now and will always be a 2005.

450 to 500 is around where im going to shoot for. My tacoma came in at 427 on the dyno it was alot of fun but it was just never enough for me and that was at the limit of the oem bottom end. so i figure if i build the bottom end to be able to handle whatever i decided to add to it later i wont have to worry about it then. And yes it is an 05 and will always be one but that is the one that i wanted and turned me over to the subaru side lol

You know there's a guy on the east coast selling a 500HP car for $5K, right? It'll take you at least $15K and months of work to get there with your existing car.

I've been looking at that one too. Would be amazing to drive, cause a 300hp lgt is just a dog. My mind is staggered at being able to drift every corner at the track without effort. My run cost would be way higher than current.

500 is so old skool. 700 is the new number to have.

Yeah, not helping, but 500 on a car designed for 250 seems absurd. The amount of upgrades needed to handle 300 is alot. Going to 500 requires so much more. Then again, maybe not. Cheap tires, cheap c/o, stoptech big brakes, iag stage 2, big turbo, hog-zaust, upgraded ice, led lights? you'd be all set for 15k depending on the deals you could score. It would handle ok because the cheap tires would insure you'd never be able to use it for most of the year (rains too much) and the rest of the time traffic is so bad you'd get on-ramps only.

Archived