LegacyGT.com

What goes here? Turbo look odd? Timing belt rub?

All back together but I can't figure out what is supposed to attach to this bracket?

The harness I'm pointing at doesn't reach and neither does the one on the right.

Is my turbo missing a chunk?

When replacing my timing belt, I noticed the crank guide had some rub. How common is this and should I be worried? I'm tempted to throw a new one on there and check it periodically.

good questions. my turbo looks exactly the same so I think it's normal, but i'll wait for someone else to chime in. as for the bracket, yeah, it happens from time to time. I believe clearance specs for that go up to .059" so either get a feeler gauge or the gates specific tool to get the appropriate spacing between the timing belt and the stay.

I couldn't get my gates tool in the space with my old belt on and my last belt broke premature and was wound around the crank with the bracket all bent up. Who knows what failed exactly but a Subaru dealer put the last belt on (I have the reciept from prev owner) so I know they are putting it on with less clearance than the gates tool. I think the spec is 1mm +- 0.5mm? The gates tool was 1.2mm with my calipers. I wonder if I shouldn't put a new bracket on there and check it at certain intervals.

Maybe the cutout on the turbo center is a key for a tool to remove the turbine? Or counter balanced by removing some of the material? Either way I feel better that yours looks the same.

I would get a new guard, they aren't very expensive IIRC. The turbo engines also have guards over the camshaft sprockets. They all have to be adjusted properly and if I were you I would use some blue loctite on the screws that hold the guards in place. Lots of vibration that could loosen things over time.

That notch on the turbo looks normal.

I'm having a bit of trouble making out your picture with the bracket. The only brackets I recall around the turbo area are brackets for the heat shields, one to support the downpipe and another few to support the intercooler.

The "chunk" missing from the turbine is removed during the balancing process.

The crank sprocket guide should NOT rub on the timing belt. Use the Gates tool to set the spacing and do the same for the cam gears as well. That particular guide is installed onto MT cars to keep the belt from slipping in the case of rapid engine speed change. It's *technically* not necessary but good to retain. Us 5EAT owners do not have those on our engines, we only got the cam guides.

Looks like the harness you're pointing to is the knock sensor. I'm not sure it plugs into the manifold harness like that, IIRC it plugs into a harness near the bell housing on the rear hoist bracket next to the pitch stop.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Archived