LegacyGT.com

2011 Legacy longetivity question

Hi, All!

I am new to the forum, but not new to Subaru. I have a 2011 Legacy 2.5i premium - great car. I️ have 60k miles on it, and right before I do the 60k service, I am considering trading it in.

That said, it is still a great car and I️ am really torn about parting with it.

I️ drive 20k a year these days, and within a year it will have 80k on it. I️ don’t generally keep cars longer than that, but with Subaru I️ am wondering why not?

Does anyone have 2011s with more than 80k on the odometer? How is it? What issues have you experienced?

Did Subaru fix the head gasket problems for 2011?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our's has 97,--- k on it.

Actually going to get around to doing some maintenance on it like a coolant flush and changing out the manual and gear box oil this spring. Damn just thought of this, can't remeber the last time I changed the air filter. Need to check that tomorrow.

I'm new to Subarus but I just bought my 2011 2.5i a month ago with 117k on it, currently just over 119k, and it's still running great. Previous owners did the major maintenence items, and appears timing belt was recently done. Zero leaks, even from the headgaskets (I believe Subaru fixed the HG problems for this generation if I recall correctly). Only known current issue is a leaking axle seal which will be fixed soon. Car doesn't even burn oil while driving, or if it does, very very little(installed a barely used muffler on it right after purchasing it, tip shows no signs of oil coming out of the exhaust). Hopefully that helps.

You will probably hear many stories concerning Subaru longevity. Our 1981 Legacy had 175,000 on the odometer in 1995, when we gifted it to one of my student's mom, whose husband had found his secretary more desirable than the mom. Left the remainder of the family with no car. Car went about 200,000 miles, when it was given to a local farmer, who used a cutting torch to rid the car body of its upper back end. He then welded in plate steel, and was used on the farm, for hay carrying duties.

Our current 1997 GT wagon has 155,000 on it, and is used daily, for both long and short haul trips. We own a '12 Legacy 2.5i 6MT, and both '14 and '17 Imprezas. Extended family own an early 2000 Outback and a heavily modified Rex.

Yeah. No car is perfect. However, Subarus generally do live up to the hype, for our family.

It doesn't seem to be common place with head gasket leaks yet on the 5th Gen 2.5i's. I suspect the 10'-12' 2.5i will eventually leak oil from the head gaskets, but looking at the 4th Gen 2.5i as a guide, the head gasket leaks seem to more common when the car is older and has more than 125k+ miles.

My 2012 2.5i had 80k miles when I sold it, but the only reason I sold it because I wanted (and bought) a 5th Gen GT. I would have driven it many more miles.

Personally I would drive the 2.5i to at least 100k miles. If you have a CVT transmission, they are now cover to 100k. You will eventually need brakes, but you shouldn't really have any major repairs.

I just sold our 2010 Outback with 123k miles. I bought it when it had 80k. No issues except for a starter. I did keep up the maintenance and replaced the timing belt/water pump a few months ago. Only reason I sold it was because I wanted something fun and a 2011 GT popped up.

Honestly, I've had shit luck with Subaru. But then again, I drive decently hard and have had the turbo models give me the most issues. My 2000 Legacy GT (NA of course) had 259k when she gave up the ghost, but that was due to me giving up on it. My sister's 2001 Legacy, she had it for 6-7 years, and traded it off with 194k on it(only major issue was a headgasket, which was expected on those), and still got 4k out of it. Then she got a 2009 Legacy 2.5i with 60k on it, and i think she's up to 113k on it now, with just an coolant sensor that went south. I personally dont see any issue with putting another 60-80k on your car, the NA Subaru's tend to be pretty solid!

My first Subaru was a 2002 Legacy GT. I bought it with 98k on the odometer. Other than regular maintenance only issue i ever had was a misfire and a new coil pack fixed that. Sold it with 225k to a gentlemen who is still driving it today as far as i know. I now have a 2010 Legacy GT I just recently crossed the 100k mark and have never had any issues with it. I just follow the recommended maintenance schedule and everything has been good so far.

Honestly, I've had shit luck with Subaru. But then again, I drive decently hard and have had the turbo models give me the most issues. My 2000 Legacy GT (NA of course) had 259k when she gave up the ghost, but that was due to me giving up on it. My sister's 2001 Legacy, she had it for 6-7 years, and traded it off with 194k on it(only major issue was a headgasket, which was expected on those), and still got 4k out of it. Then she got a 2009 Legacy 2.5i with 60k on it, and i think she's up to 113k on it now, with just an coolant sensor that went south. I personally dont see any issue with putting another 60-80k on your car, the NA Subaru's tend to be pretty solid!

260k on a car is not "shit luck":lol:

My 2010 has 173K on it now. I bought it new in November of 2009. No major problems at all (with the exception that I add oil every 700-1000 miles), just standard maintenance and a sunroof that won't slide back anymore.

At 60K miles, yours is not even broken in yet

You will probably hear many stories concerning Subaru longevity. Our 1981 Legacy had 175,000 on the odometer in 1995, when we gifted it to one of my student's mom, whose husband had found his secretary more desirable than the mom. Left the remainder of the family with no car. Car went about 200,000 miles, when it was given to a local farmer, who used a cutting torch to rid the car body of its upper back end. He then welded in plate steel, and was used on the farm, for hay carrying duties.

Our current 1997 GT wagon has 155,000 on it, and is used daily, for both long and short haul trips. We own a '12 Legacy 2.5i 6MT, and both '14 and '17 Imprezas. Extended family own an early 2000 Outback and a heavily modified Rex.

Yeah. No car is perfect. However, Subarus generally do live up to the hype, for our family.

Sounds like this farmer is a BAMF and created the first Subaru Legacy UTE?

More like the missing link between the Brat and the Baja. MCM did their thing with a WRX not too long ago, which I *think* means we're on pace for another truck-like thing right around the 7th-gen Legacy mid-cycle refresh.

As far as actually adding something productive to the thread, I'm sneaking up on 183k in my Baja (pretty similar engine to what's in the '11 2.5i). I've owned it less than a year, but there was no evidence of any major issues in the 173k before I bought it. I'm guessing the previous owner only traded it in because the original clutch finally gave up. Just rolled 95k on the '11 GT the other day, no complaints there either.

Archived