LegacyGT.com

2003 Entry Level Mods

I have a 2003 Legacy Wagon. What mods would you recommend? I already need an exhaust so I want to upgrade, are there any good exhaust systems that will help with performance? I have also been looking for a cold air intake, but there isn't much for my specific car. Would an intake for an 03 WRX or something like that work? Are there any other mods that I haven't thought of?

Thanks

Performance mods like intake and exhaust for the 2.5i in general don't do much unless yours are bad and need to be replaced anyway. The best way to improve those cars is to upgrade the suspension and brakes. You end up with a car that is fun to drive, but still slow in a straight line.

+1 on brakes and suspension. Replacing worn out stock rubber suspension parts with sturdy poly bushings makes a sloppy family wagon feel like a sports car driving on rails. Thicker sway bars also make a huge difference in the handling department.

EL or UEL headers with an axleback exhaust setup and hollowing your second cat really opens the exhaust up a bit. It may not give you much in the performance department, but it sure sounds great.

Seeing that you have an L model, look to the higher trim levels for appearance and comfort mods. The LL Bean and VDC wagon has a dual cupholder center console and very nice powered leather heated seats and power heated mirrors that turn a boring car into an enjoyable car. All great creature comforts in the dead of winter in Colorado.

If you're into lowering it, there are some good lowering springs that can let you achieve that. Some nice wheels and tires change the whole look of the car. Head over to the photo gallery if you need some inspiration. There are tons of people who have modified their cars to make them their own.

Auto sadly

The auto really doesn't do these cars justice, but one thing you can do to bring out the life in the auto is to make the torque distribution just like a manual.

I have a 2.5 5MT in my Forester and a 2.5 4EAT in my Outback and despite them being almost identical in the HP and TQ department, the Forester feels punchier due to the 5MT. This is, in part, due to the 50/50 torque split that the manual transmissions have.

Here's the link to the 50/50 mod: http://www.rs25.com/forums/f8/t99075-4eat-diff-lock-switch-handbrake-mod-torquemada-lite.html

It's a pretty cool mod. I built my prototype and in testing, it makes all the difference and doesn't cause any damage to the transmission. I am going a different route on my car though, so I am probably not going to develop it much further.

The auto really doesn't do these cars justice, but one thing you can do to bring out the life in the auto is to make the torque distribution just like a manual.

I have a 2.5 5MT in my Forester and a 2.5 4EAT in my Outback and despite them being almost identical in the HP and TQ department, the Forester feels punchier due to the 5MT. This is, in part, due to the 50/50 torque split that the manual transmissions have.

Here's the link to the 50/50 mod: http://www.rs25.com/forums/f8/t99075-4eat-diff-lock-switch-handbrake-mod-torquemada-lite.html

It's a pretty cool mod. I built my prototype and in testing, it makes all the difference and doesn't cause any damage to the transmission. I am going a different route on my car though, so I am probably not going to develop it much further.

Awesome. That is something I will probably do. Seems relatively easy and effective. Thanks

Archived