LegacyGT.com

High water

I have a 2008 GT LTD. Flash floods started in the area, and I unfortunately was out during that time. I was driving through some and got to a particularly high area. None got inside the car. As I was cruising through it the brake light, parking brake notification, and battery light came on. Shortly after getting out it went away. I was wondering why this was happening? She drove back just fine and started on and off several times after. I will add that my power steering is heading out and the battery light and brake light tends to come on when that is struggling..but my PS was not struggling at that time. Thanks!

Are you asking why the warning lights came on while you were driving through high water? Well, because you were driving through high water.

Water is a pretty good conductor of electricity. Salt water more so, which is why you should never drive your car under the ocean or in the Great Salt Lake or the Dead Sea. Anywho, when you got water up into your car's undies, it started shorting out various circuits. Thus the warning lights from various electrical systems.

Lol well we do get the salt on the roads so it's definitely seen the salt. I live out in Erie PA..bought the car out at Newark NJ area if I recall correctly. It took one winter here in Erie to start rusting all the old rock chips I'm assuming came from NJ traffic all of its life. Although I can't imagine some of the weird areas you must get rust after a salt water flood.

Archived