LegacyGT.com

Fuel Problem On 99 Legacy

So every time over the past two weeks when I go to put fuel in Ruby. It shuts the pump off after only putting in 1.50. If I hold the nozzle and go slow she takes fuel fine. But I can't lock the nozzle wide open or it shuts off. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks guys.

I had a Ranger that did the same thing. It would go great for the first buck or two, but then you could only trickle it in there a couple cents at a time. It was fun when the temperature was below freezing, you learned to only put enough gas in to get you where you needed to go. At any rate, it turned out to be the flapper in the filler neck. It got stuck partially open, only like 1/4 inch open to be exact.

I think Rumble nailed it. Most common reason for this is in the evaporative emissions control system. There is a vent valve controlled by a solenoid. That valve is supposed to stay normally open and vents fuel vapor to the charcoal canister. The valve is shut when the system runs a self-test to detect vapor leaks.

If you have overfilled the gas tank in the recent past, this can cause the charcoal canister to take on liquid fuel, which blocks it up to vapor flow. Or the vent hoses could have liquid in them. This is why the manufacturers warn not to keep putting fuel in after the pump shuts itself off.

So, most likely the vent valve, vent hose or charcoal canister. You can fix these things DIY, but it will take some troubleshooting to figure out exactly what is wrong.

Archived