LegacyGT.com

The Harbor Freight War

I work at a fairly small shop where most of the guys are up to their eyelids in debt with any one of the tools franchises that stop by on a weekly basis. (Myself, to a small degree. Maybe up to the knees.)

But what I have noticed is the divided opinions on Pittsburgh tools regarding their durability and overall place in a automotive work environment.

My thoughts are mixed. On one hand cheap tools with a lifetime warranty is very taunting due to the fact that you can break them all you want and get a free one the next day. But at the same time I also own a few sets of the name brand tools and definitely see the difference. But the cost comparison is insane.

So the main trade off I see between the two is very high cost vs. very low quality.

What do you guys think? List how often you use your tools, what tools you use and your thoughts.

Kind of a false choice. Being in debt is a bad idea no matter what. Overpaying for tools and then paying for them again in interest? This is just a dumb idea.

Many of the HF tools are junk. The Pittsburgh Pro line for the most part is made by the same manufacturers in Taiwan that make decent tools. Apply the 20% off coupons and they are a great bargain. But similar in most respect to brands like Kobalt or Husky.

If you are a home mechanic, the Pittsburgh Pro are probably good enough. If you are a pro, the Pittsburgh Pro tools could tide you over until you buy better tools second-hand at a garage sale, estate sale, pawnshop, etc. Save up and buy them for cash when you find something good. Build up a collection gradually.

Some of the good ones, you could take off the handles and put old SnapOn handles on and maybe your buddies will leave you alone :lol::

tool-1.thumb.jpg.5ed2bae1f984f21bb2fffb0e2495d341.jpg

tool-2.jpg.8224b9bbb91ebce2376f1c0003997ba3.jpg

tool-3.thumb.jpg.d9978c5af6578374373a36311bc825da.jpg

tool-4.thumb.jpg.4aba3f3635cdfc09212cf23222660aca.jpg

tool-6.thumb.jpg.4a0f71d3470d75703c9d818bcf33a429.jpg

tool-5.thumb.jpg.3f0c236650f886af42b30029d3e4f6b6.jpg

tool-7.thumb.jpg.56e92b8d908a48dae721fe89750ed08e.jpg

• 1 month later...
HF tools have to be judged individually. I bought 3 ratchet wrenches made in Taiwan which are great. The extra teeth give you a click for every 5 degrees of turn. Good for those tight spots. And the price was great. Some of the hand tools such as combination wrenches made in India or China aren't the greatest, but if you are putting a set in your car for emergency repairs they'll do fine.

Haven't had any problems with their hand tools, but not so lucky with their power tools. I've had 2 power tools that only last for about 5 - 6 uses and then they crap out. When it comes to power tools, pay the extra cost for a better brand.
My wife's balls are delicious.

If I break a HF tool then that means I should get a higher quality one. I have been using tons of their stuff and yes, you get what you pay for. But for most of us home users its good enough. For a pro, time is money and having to deal with a broken tool is not cost effective either. I also purchase used sets of high-end tools online to save a few bucks. Last thing I bought was a SnapOn flare wrench set. Thats one place you do not want a cheap tool.

I have a mixture consisting mainly of Craftsman, Snap-On and Matco. The only HF sockets I own are the 1/2" impact swivels that I got for ~$20. They have not broke or even shown signs of failing. My co-workers toolbox is 80% filled with Pittsburgh tools and he's never had a problem. I think I've had more Snap-on and Craftsman sockets break than he has.

Snap-On has the best ratchets but they can and will break. I've snapped the heads off probably 3 in the 11 years I've been turning wrenches. My Craftsman impact sockets take a shit load of beating and look better than the Snap-on impacts I own.

I recently bought the most badass Milwaukee 1/2" battery powered impact gun (1400 break away, 1100 tightening) iirc. The gun was 250 and I opted for the 9.0Ah battery so I paid another 200 for 2 batteries and a fast charger. It's heavy but it blows the snap-on mg725 pneumatic out of the water and it was cheaper. It will also blow the comparable Snap-on battery gun out of the water and they want 500 just for the gun, no battery or charger. Are you familiar with the special sockets needed for the crank pullies on some older Hondas? The Milwaukee takes the crank bolt out without blinking, no special tools required.

I definitely consider myself a tool connoisseur and not a pimp toolbox kinda guy. I probably have close to 10k in tools sitting in a less than 1k Husky toolbox. The best part about the tool guys is you can pay them $20/week with no interest, depending on how much your bill is up to.

The tools I wouldn't go cheap on are ratchets, air tools and any sort of flare wrenches or crows feet. There is a noticeable difference between Craftsman and Snap-on wrenches and while I prefer the Snap-on, my craftsmans have held up just fine. I'm sure I'm missing something but as you can tell, I'm passionate about my tools :lol:

I like craftsman stuff over Pittsburg especially if you're budget conscious. The problem with cheaper sockets and wrenches in my experience is they tend to round the heads easier. Some tools from snap on like the wrench sets are worth the extra money because they don't round the heads like cheaper tools. I would say my took collection is mostly made of midrange stuff like craftsman and a few snap on essentials. Craftsman is still not a bad deal for a mechanics tool box.

I believe the same company that makes Craftsman hand tools, ratchets and wrenches in Taiwan, makes the HF Pittsburgh Pro series. There was a documentary on TV a while back about it, and though they didn't mention companies by name, you did get to see product and it was pretty clear who the companies are.

I typically buy Craftsman and Husky. HF for 1-time only, limited use functionality. And, I watch CL for deals on S-O and MATCO tools and storage.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I think I read an article that there's on a few factories in the world that produce hand tools and wouldn't be surprised if they're cast in the same factory but the gears used in the snap on ratchets are definitely smoother and more precise than a hf or craftsman.

I like everything by GearWrench - Taiwan-based and their ratchets and pass-through systems are truly wonderful to work with.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

98% of my Craftsman tools are made in the USA. The few that have broke and since been replaced, are made in China or something. They do remind me of the Pittsburgh or Cornwell style sockets.

I have some really nice GearWrench ratcheting wrenches. The long, double box end, can not be beat! I also have a flex-head ratcheting set and their serpentine belt kit.

My Harbor Freight Earthquake XT is the best tool I have purchased. It has 1200 breakaway and costs less then milwaukee if you include battery and charger. Milwaukee is rated higher a little higher though and has more tools you can use the batteries with. I have had no bolt give me trouble and I live in a salt state with a 12 year old car.

• Moderators

Others have said it, but hand tools are fine and the power tools are iffy--I agree. I think I replaced a cutoff saw twice and the third time it crapped out I just had them give me my money back.

If you use stuff every day to make a living, definitely buy pro-quality stuff where needed and where you can afford it. But going into debt for the tools sounds like a bad plan to make a decent income.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Others have said it, but hand tools are fine and the power tools are iffy--I agree. I think I replaced a cutoff saw twice and the third time it crapped out I just had them give me my money back.

If you use stuff every day to make a living, definitely buy pro-quality stuff where needed and where you can afford it. But going into debt for the tools sounds like a bad plan to make a decent income.

It's easy to go into debt when a 6-10 pc. socket set is $250+. I was lucky enough to buy a majority of the expensive stuff when I was young and didn't have a mortgage.

Effiency is the name of the game. Anything that will help get a job done quicker is priceless. You basically pay beaucoup bucks for tools to increase productivity and keep food on the table at the same time.

Xtea: I researched the gun you have prior to purchasing the Milwaukee. I read a lot of great things about it but I couldn't justify the slight increase in torque over my pneumatic gun. The earthquake is plenty for the diy folks.

Archived