LegacyGT.com

Torn belts

Hey guys, was just doing fluid checks on my 06 GT and decided to check the belts being I heard a squeak. I pull the cover and noticed the alternator belt was torn. The place where I bought the car from had put new belts on when I got it back in July. What would cause this? I checked the pulleys and nothing looks bent. f139cd17b8be988d579107b30f7d3fb5.jpg5382dda7ce0e5844bfca3154451832f8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Are there any markings on the belt, a brand and part number? I'm wondering if that's the right belt for the car. It It looks thin to me, even at the bottom where it might not have torn.

Your belts don't look new. From the pictures, it looks like the front belt was worn along the edge and eventually developed a crack. That allowed some of the reinforcing cord to come out under belt tension. Now, all that has to happen is for that small bit of cord to get pinched under the other belt. When the front belt moves away from the pulley, the reinforcing cord is being pulled out a tiny bit further since it is still being held in place by the other belt. That eventually brings other strands of reinforcing cord out. At cruising speed, there's a chance for this to happen 3500 times per minute.

It's easy to replace your drive belts. You should do both of them asap with a good brand like Mitsuboshi or Continental.

Are the positions of the belts reversed?

In the top pic, the alternator pulley appears to have an unoccupied groove and on the crank pulley near the engine cover the belt appears to me to be too wide.

Archived