LegacyGT.com

Ringlands and headgaskets...

Hi folks. Does anyone have favorite thinks to threads detailing the reasons behind why ringlands and head gaskets tend to fail on these cars? Any links for tips on how to prevent both from failing? Just looking to study up on common problems with these cars in an attempt to be prepared and plan for possible future repairs. Links, general info etc welcome. I've done some searching on here but in case there is good info I didn't see here or on other sites where I am not a member; thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

Mike

It's all in the tune. My wagon has been off the factory tune since it had 8000 miles on it, Dec 2004. That's when Cobb released AP.

Get the car off the factory tune ASAP.

When you do a rebuild, use ARP head studs.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Spaceman, the head gasket issue is much more of an issue for the normally-aspirated models. The turbo models use a different head gasket design and a better, stronger shortblock.

Here's a useful article on the head gasket issues, including some good explanations and photos to show what happens:

https://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-head-gasket-problems-explained/

Lots of good info already on the thread, other tips for best reliability and longevity on the turbo Subaru models:

- be diligent on the oil changes, always with synthetic oil & the correct oil filter

- always keep oil topped up

- always use 91 or 93 octane fuel

- avoid going WOT until the engine is fully warmed up

- avoid going and especially staying in WOT at lower engine RPM (< 3000)

- be diligent on the cooling system maintenance

- never allow the engine to overheat

Your biggest threats are:

- detonation leading to piston and main bearing damage

- low or dirty oil leading to turbo oil starvation

- timing belt service lacking, leading to valve damage

I had leaking head gaskets when I picked up my car and have heard others as well who suffered from the same problem with turbocharged models as well. Definitely more of an issue with the NA models but that's not to say that the turbocharged models aren't affected either.

I do recommend that you upgrade to ARP head studs if you replace your head gaskets. Might not be completely necessary but I'd say worth spending the extra bit of money for more clamping force.

I feel the stigma of Subaru's and ringland failure has a lot to do with immature/uninformed owners. I've seen so many WRXs with straight pipe turboback exhausts while still running the factory tune. Anyone that has owned a turbocharged car before or has done there research will realize most things to prevent ringland failure is common sense.

Interesting to note is that the unequal length manifold design has been said to contribute to ringland failure. Although I haven't seen concrete evidence but the nature of the unequal length manifold with colliding exhaust pulses can lead to high cylinder temperatures which can lead to detonation.

I had leaking head gaskets when I picked up my car and have heard others as well who suffered from the same problem with turbocharged models as well. Definitely more of an issue with the NA models but that's not to say that the turbocharged models aren't affected either...

The NA head gaskets would fail like clockwork between 80K-120K miles. It was practically guaranteed. The issue had to do mainly with the design of the head gasket itself. The fix for them involves installing the turbo head gaskets or MLS gaskets very similar to the turbo head gaskets.

I'm sure the gaskets can fail on the turbo motors just like they can on any motor. It's just not the same issue that the NA motors are notorious for.

Ok now things are starting to come together. So the wife drives the car like a typical driver, not overly hard on the gas but definitely not like an old man driver. She knows to go easy until the car warms up. I keep the oil topped off and change it around 4,000 miles with T6. I guess I need to look at the PCV and intake system for oil residue to see what condition those are in and I should be good for a while. Great info. from you all, thank you, I feel a good bit better now that I have a clearer picture.

Not to start an oil debate but the one time I put T6 in my Legacy GT I had it changed out less than 2,000 miles later. Felt like glue in the engine.

Have had much better results with Motul and Amsoil at least as far as smooth engine performance.

Archived