LegacyGT.com

Timing belt

I'm at 96k miles. For a timing belt, do most people go to the dealer or independent shop (or do it themselves)?

What else should I get done? Water pump? Serpentine belt? Anything else?

I think the dealer wants $600 or $700 for the timing belt. Any idea what an independent shop might charge assuming $90 an hour labor rate (vs $110 at dealer)?

What brand timing belt and water pump are good?

If you are comfortable with do-it-yourself, the AISIN TKF-006 kit has most everything you would need and contains good quality components. Cost online is usually a bit over $200. This would be a good time to replace your thermostat with Subaru OEM, radiator hoses and serpentine belt.

AISIN kit reviewed here with lots of good pictures:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/aisin-tkf-006-timing-belt-and-water-pump-kit-review-260226.html

Some people do have it done at the dealer or an independent shop. An independent shop that has a lot of Subaru experience will usually be cheaper, and it's good to get to know them. Prices vary, but around $700-800 is not unusual. For that, they should replace everything on the timing belt path: tensioner, idlers, and water pump. Other work would be on top of that.

haven't had to do the Legacy yet, but I'll second the Aisin kit - I used that the second time around when I replaced the timing belt, etc. on our Odyssey - it was a very nice kit, many parts were identical to OEM. Fit was perfect. (different kit - Odyssey uses the tkh-002 kit, but I figure their quality level runs across the board) - wish their was an Aisin option for the GT. I'll end up going OEM, I imagine, given the concerns voiced over recent Gates kits.

Not sure what the going rate is (I generally do my own work) - if you do it yourself, might be worthwhile to have a couple of cam seals on hand in the event you find a leak when you pull the timing covers.

• 1 year later...

bringing this thread back from the dead.. just wanted to confirm because information is sparse on fifth generation timing belt kits..

will the AISIN TKF-006 kit fit on a 2014 legacy 2.5i?

Amazon says it will NOT fit, and rock auto doesn't list timing belt kits for anything in fifth gen besides 2010 model year. Just looking for some clarification. Thanks

edit: I just read somewhere that 2014 legacy uses a timing chain, is this true??

2011 3.6R has a timing chain right? If so there is no need to change but should serpentine belt and the others be changed?

Correct. Every Subaru H6 since 2001 has been a chain engine.

I believe your owner's manual has a 60,000 interval for accessory belts.

Yes, your engine has a chain. Subaru changed to a timing chain when the motor was updated from a EJ253 to FB25 in 2013.

Thanks Dgoodhue. Is it still recommended to replace idler bearing, etc as you would do when you hit 100k with a timing belt driven ej253?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edit: never mind, chain and pulley, and rest of spinning bits all lubricated by engine oil...

I just replaced my timing belt with that AISIN TKF-006 kit myself about a month ago. Included 2 idlers, toothed idler and tensioner, water pump and belt. Along with two seals. Also replaced my serpentine belt and thermostat at the same time.

Took me about 8 hours total time. Including radiator flush and burp after radiator fans and everything was in place. Mind you this was my first timing belt replacement I have attempted by myself. There are some great write ups on this forum or find yourself a step by step YouTube video and you’ll breeze through it. Everything fit together perfectly with no issues.

I was quoted $750 for the timing kit replacement.

TB kit, Serp belt, blue coolant, thermostat, spark plugs. Cost me $300.

It easier than you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything is possible with an endless supply of enthusiasm and money, lol. In your case the real question should be can I swap an FB for my ej25. And that isn't a question that has come up before that I can recall. In the technical sense the motors are identical. You would need to look into the engine's technical specs like cam timing control, emissions systems, fuel injection connections, and if they are identical or very very similar I would be you could. Whether it would be cost effective, only you can determine that.

Can you add a timing chain to your motor? No, the chain requires tensionsers, guides, lubrication, sprockets for all the driven components, and a sealed metal cover...

• 4 weeks later...
Got a dumb question, for car with a timing chain (which doesn't need replacement), does it have tensioner and pulley that need to be replaced?
It has a tensioner system that is pressurized by engine oil pressure. This is one reason you dont want to go with a thicker oil than 30w on an fb or ez engine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

No problems running a full synthetic 10W-60 in mine.

More likely to have tensioner problems with just low oil pressure. I don't think another 4 or 5 psi of pressure in mine is going to be an issue. If it was going to be an issue the tensioner would have a pressure relief system which is easy with a spring loaded valve.

No problems running a full synthetic 10W-60 in mine.

More likely to have tensioner problems with just low oil pressure. I don't think another 4 or 5 psi of pressure in mine is going to be an issue. If it was going to be an issue the tensioner would have a pressure relief system which is easy with a spring loaded valve.

It's more about forcing thicker oil through very small passages in order to provide hydraulic pressure to those tensioners. It's a long term reliability issue.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Archived