LegacyGT.com

Good replacement bulbs for '97- '99 GT driving lights

Anyone have any good suggestions for brighter bulbs that will fit and work well with the stock GT driving lights? All 3 of our Legacies have these lights, as I added some used lights from Ebay to the Legacy L wagon. The original bulbs that came with the lights still work, but one is dim, so I'd like to replace them both with something brighter that will illuminate well on the back roads.

Any suggestions?

Also, what size bulb do these lights take (these are the stock '97- '99 GT driving lights)?

Stock bulbs should be 9006. Something like the Philips VisionPlus 55W should work well. Try to avoid the overwattage bulbs, they don't last and put out more heat. Avoid the "blue" or "crystal" bulbs, they're a scam.

There aren't a lot of worth while upgrades for halogen bulbs, you can get higher output ones that also are a higher color range, so they will be white vs yellow, but those bulbs tend to not last more than a year to year and a half because they burn hotter.

LEDs are pretty decent, but substantially more expensive for good quality ones, and they don't seem to have the depth that halogens do, meaning, they don't throw the light all that far.

HIDs are my choice, the benefits are huge but they require modication or replacement of the headlight assemblies, because they require projector lights, they won't work properly in a typical reflector headlight and Reflector + HID= Ricer honda with blinding lights

Since these are for the driving lights, not headlights, I wouldn't mind something brighter, even though it's hotter as I would only need to use them on some of the back roads around here.

For headlights, I'm sticking with ones only slighter brighter than OEM so they shouldn't fail after a few months. I've been running Philips X-Treme Power's in the wagon for 3+ years and have yet to have one burn out

• 2 weeks later...

On my 2006 WRX Wagon, I went with an HID kit from Kensun. Initially, the kit that I purchased came with 6500k bulbs (slight blue tint). I did not like the diminished light output compared to stock, but liked the intensity of the light. So I bought replacement 5000K bulbs - now I have HID intensity/clarity AND more light output!

I'd recommend the 5000k kit per the 'color' as it produces a light that is whiter than stock, but is lacks the 'blue' tint that limits the brightness and visible light.

You can find those kits on Amazon. They made quite a difference over stock.

Archived