LegacyGT.com

Needing a fuel pump for a 96 legacy with donor engine

Hey guys!

I'm totally new here and am more than confused! I purchased a 1996 Legacy (I believe original it was a single turbo) with a donor EJ20 twin turbo — I'm looking around and can't seem to find any solid sources on what to do here.

I need a fuel pump for it but do I purchase the fuel pump for the engine, or for the body? I was told the engine, but the fuel pump is located (I believe) under the rear-right seat.. are there any resources or info that you guys know of that can help me figure this out?

Thank you all :D

More specs about the vehicle might help. Location, engine, RHD/LHD, etc. I'm assuming it's RHD if it is twin turbo. Location helps us to help you track down the part.

Whoops, forgot some parts there! It is a RHD and I am located on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada. I'm not entirely sure of the total engine specs as it is a donor — I do know that it is the twin turbo engine (2.0L?)

Thank you!

I would just skip trying to find a new OEM one and instead get a walbro 255. It'd be better to have a pump that can handle any motor that's in it instead of trying to find an OEM that's only rated for certain motors. You can get just the pump instead of the whole pump assembly and just swap it over. There are two identical panels behind the back seat, the pump will be on the side of the car with the fuel filler neck.

I would just skip trying to find a new OEM one and instead get a walbro 255. It'd be better to have a pump that can handle any motor that's in it instead of trying to find an OEM that's only rated for certain motors. You can get just the pump instead of the whole pump assembly and just swap it over. There are two identical panels behind the back seat, the pump will be on the side of the car with the fuel filler neck.

That's probably going to be the best bet.. thank you so much! Do you knoi of any videos or anything? Found a post on here but the old pictures are expired on photobucket :(

That's probably going to be the best bet.. thank you so much! Do you knoi of any videos or anything? Found a post on here but the old pictures are expired on photobucket :(

Here is a DIY I posted yearsago: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/walbro-255-lph-install-diy-198427.html

I installed a walbro on my first gen but the kit and install is the exactly the same for your application.

What's the benefit of installing one of those bad boys on an my 97 lgt. The fuel pump is one of the last things untouched and makes me wonder when it'll go out. At 250k miles. Would that be over kill or should I go for something a little less? Just want quality

The pump has to be able to deliver enough fuel to support the horsepower of the engine.

So if you have basically stock power you should get a stock output pump. If you took your engine from factory boost to 35 psi, you would already have blown up the motor by now without a pump able to deliver much more fuel than factory.

When the pump falls short, you lean out, then you detonate, then you blow the head gasket, break the piston head, and grind your block to scrap.

The pump has to be able to deliver enough fuel to support the horsepower of the engine.

So if you have basically stock power you should get a stock output pump. If you took your engine from factory boost to 35 psi, you would already have blown up the motor by now without a pump able to deliver much more fuel than factory.

When the pump falls short, you lean out, then you detonate, then you blow the head gasket, break the piston head, and grind your block to scrap.

This is what happens when your fuel pump can't keep up with your turbo motor:

giphy.gif

Archived