LegacyGT.com

Side molding is coming off, dealer says not under warranty?!

Hi All,

I have a 2015 Legacy. So far I like the car, but I noticed the side door molding on the passenger side was coming loose from the car.

I took the car my local dealership (I purchased this one used, with a few months remaining on the factory 3/36k mile warranty, then I purchased the 7/100/0 extended warranty from Subaru). They told me that since it didn't come from the factory with the molding, it wasn't covered under warranty.

While I think that a genuine Subaru part, installed by an authorized dealer, isn't under warranty is a crock of crap, I need to get it fixed before it falls off the car.

Any recommendations for some double sided tape to use? I tried the 3M Super Strength molding tape (part# 03609 with a green #2 in the top right corner), but the tape is to thick and leaves a gap between the molding and the car... any ideas? The old tape was toast and wasn't holding onto the molding anymore...

Accessories are typically only covered either under the 3/36 warranty but some are only for one year. Extended warranties do NOT cover these types of items. I have installed several body side moldings on various cars over the last 15 years. 3M makes a special high strength automotive trim tape which is what you need. Check amazon as I am confident it is available there. It is very thin and the same material the manufacturers use to adhere items to their cars at the factory and at the port.

Thanks - I wasn't sure, but I did put an email into Subaru. I figure worse case I could take it to a body shop... But it really shouldn't be hard to re-tape it. If I can find the correct take with the correct width.

So I looked for 3M trim tape, but there are so many different choices, would you happen to remember the right kind of tape?

This makes me think only the perimeter is taped, I wonder if the center is raised, and only the perimeter sits flush? I'd imagine you'd need some pretty thin tape for just the perimeter. With these moldings I thought the whole bottom was flat, but I guess maybe not.

https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/doc/accInstallGuide/077983-j101sal800xx.pdf

Subaru accessories installed by the dealer at the time of sale would be covered under the same warranty as the rest of the car.

per Subaru

https://www.subaru.com/owners/vehicle-warranty/warranties-2015.html

What is Covered

These warranties cover any repairs needed to correct defects in material or workmanship reported during the applicable warranty period and which occur under normal use:

• In any part of the 2015 model year SUBARU which is identified on the inside front cover of this Warranty & Maintenance Booklet (the "vehicle").
  • Any Genuine SUBARU Optional Accessories.
  • In addition, adjustment services are covered one time only during the first 36 months/36,000 miles of operation, whichever comes first.

Sadly, I couldn't find a thin enough tape. But, I did make a call to into Subaru and explained the situation. They agreed to cover the cost of having the dealer replace the molding! Woohoo.

Thank you everyone for your input.

For future reference if you need it. 3M makes an automotive double sided tape for adhering just these kinds of things with a variety of thicknesses. If you have an auto body supply store near you, they will stock it.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/All-3M-Products/Automotive-Products/Attachment-Tapes-Fasteners/Automotive/Post-Factory-Installations/?N=5002385+8709313+8711017+8711413+8716713+8719972+3294857497&rt=r3

Archived