LegacyGT.com

Quick Dumb Question...Can one person sleep in a sleeping bag- 2007 Legacy GT Sedan?

Haven't bought it yet but will be driving it home and may have to at LEAST nap for a few hours if not sleep overnight.

Will have a warm sleeping bag but am concerned about:

1) How flat do the seats lay (looks pretty flat)

2) How big the opening is

I'm only 5'10" but just wondering what the results were for Car Camping in it.

07 Legacy GT Limited.

Thanks

The Count

Much easier in the wagons. :)

Fold down the rear seat and push the front seats forward a bit. Place your camping mattress and a pillow on the cargo floor. 6' 0" is about the limit, but you could sleep on the diagonal.

As an option, a small rectangular piece of plywood, roughly 40" W x 30" L can be used to extend the cargo floor a few inches forwards to the front seats.

But your comments are regarding the sedan, just to clarify?

I have not tried sleeping in the sedan, since I have the wagon. But interior dimensions are about the same, except less height in the rear cargo area and slightly less width for the trunk opening. Seats fold close to flat in either one.

Good luck! I'm 6/6'1 and I doubt I'd be able to sleep in that car unless you like to be curled up on the back seat.

Consider maybe finding a campsite and a cheap tent. What part of the country will you likely be stopping in to rest?

In a sedan, I’d think your best bet for a nap would be in the passenger seat.

If you are a side sleeper or tend to change sleeping positions, that does not work as well as lying flat.

Good luck! I'm 6/6'1 and I doubt I'd be able to sleep in that car unless you like to be curled up on the back seat.

Consider maybe finding a campsite and a cheap tent. What part of the country will you likely be stopping in to rest?

Have you considered that he already has a big metal and glass tent that can be locked while he's sleeping?

Have you considered that he already has a big metal and glass tent that can be locked while he's sleeping?

Big metal/glass tent? I was talking about those tents made out of flexible rods and nylon. What kind of tents do you sleep in made of metal/glass? That sounds more like an RV. :lol:

He didn't provide enough details. With that said, he could probably find a cheap motel to sleep in for about $30/night. But again, it depends where he is at. If he's in Hollywood, I'm sure someone will let him borrow a cardboard box for about $30/night. ;)

Big metal/glass tent? I was talking about those tents made out of flexible rods and nylon. What kind of tents do you sleep in made of metal/glass? That sounds more like an RV. :lol:

Just saying I have slept in tents that have even less room than he would have sleeping in the back of the car with the seats folded. An actual tent attracts attention, that you may not want, and provides little insulation and no security. Plus, people have this strange idea that you must pay them money to set up a tent site.

The car already serves the purpose of providing temporary shelter, and it is fairly inconspicuous, so it's all about how you look at it.

I'm glad you mentioned that it's 2007, pre 2007 sedan's don't have folding seats (seriously Subaru???)

With that said, I haven't slept in my 05 sedan, because I usually take the big roomy 2012 outback off roading & camping :lol:

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

It's not the most comfortable night's sleep you'll ever have, but yeah it's totally possible. I'm 5'11" and I nap in the front seat of my '05 just about every night (I work 3rd shift, f**k lunch break that's naptime lol).

If you're tired enough you can sleep anywhere. Hell, it's 10x more comfy than sleeping on an airplane :lol:

Appreciate all the replies.

Bought the car.

Was able to crash a couple of nights in NY and Toronto.

While not ideal it is possible.

The weakest link is the actual opening is shorter than the height of the seats (the curved part of the top of the opening) SO it makes it kind of claustrophobic and almost impossible to flip onto your side if you're on a pad and a sleeping bag.

One night was in a WalMart parking lot and it was super bright and noisy bc of the lot sweepers. I turned around head first so head was in the trunk and feet sticking out into the rear seat. This was actually the most comfortable as it was darker, quieter and felt warmer prob due to trapping heat in there and insulating.

I have really bad claustrophobia but was able to do it.

While not ideal as others mentioned it is possible.

Loving the car so far.

2007 2.5 GT Limited 5 speed

In a sedan, I’d think your best bet for a nap would be in the passenger seat.

This right here. These cars are small for mid size sedans in America, and reflect more of what its Japanese creators viewed as normal for mid size cars. The back seat is narrow side to side but somewhat deep. The foot well is also quite small. There is also a small but considerable hump in the middle seat. The leather is comfy, but id go with the passenger side if I were you, and recline as far back as possible. A good bit of legroom there, actually.

My wifes 04 outback manual talks about folding front seats flat by removing headrest, moving seat up all the way and then reclining it. it should lay more flat than if you just reclined it and line up with the rear seat. My car is full of crap and a car seat right now so i cant try it at the moment in my 05 but i know it works in the 04s

Archived