LegacyGT.com

Headlight Residue

I've noticed that the inside of the headlight lenses on my three-week old '17 Legacy Limited seems to have a bluish fog or residue. It only shows when the low beam is lit bit I'm a little disappointed that my brand-new car seems to have "dirty" headlight housings. Has anyone else noticed this? Does it get worse with time?

I've seen it too when detailer's were working on the car.They told me it's either the glass itself that has that "haze" or the inside needs to be cleaned as the inside windows do when the car is new from the factory.

If it is a layer it's most likely there to protect against heat I guess.

No, not a prism effect, it's only visible when the low beam is on, light coming from the inside.

Here are a couple of shots I took with the headlight in the shade this morning. It shows as a ring on the inside of the housing directly in line with the beam from the bulb. I think it's a residue, maybe a film of condensed plastic gases or something. One way or another, I don't think it should be there and I hope it doesn't get worse.

Headlight-Off.thumb.jpg.dd6ca94e716123082da4587488a286cc.jpg

Headlight-On.thumb.jpg.d9e980d9a1ecbff169b34abee4f93a36.jpg

mine has the same sort of haze, normal. The headlight is vented so if there is any condensation it will dissipate, though this is not my issue (or yours, probably).

At night, my headlights are plenty bright (HID) so I don't worry about it.

One way or another, I don't think it should be there and I hope it doesn't get worse.

It's totally normal. I work in automotive lighting. There's a chance it could be anti-condensation coating on the inside of the lens that becomes more noticeable when the light shines on it. Either way, it's perfectly normal.

Archived