LegacyGT.com

Need a rear dif

Got noises coming from my 245k mile rear dif. Local shop says bear(s) and cheaper to source a used one. I've looked around some online with no luck. Any help guys?

1999 Legacy Outback wagon, 2.5 DOHC, automatic

Thanks!

FYI - located in Houston, TX.

In Houston, searching on car-part.com shows some hits at

Cullen Auto Parts

713-733-5100

Apache Auto Parts

877-412-3700

No idea of condition or price, you'd have to call them.

Would be cheaper to find a local auto recycler. Shipping a heavy piece might be expensive.

No idea of condition or price, you'd have to call them.

Would be cheaper to find a local auto recycler. Shipping a heavy piece might be expensive.

This is why I don't like car-part.com. They force you to call them, sit on the phone while they research the easiest way to jack the price on you, force you to come to them to get the part. $200 from ebay including free shipping and a 6 month guarantee sounds better than that hassle. Never had good luck on car-part.

About a year ago, I was searching for a driver's seat for my 2012 Malibu. I found two places in Phoenix (an hour and a half drive) who had it. Called them and one told me $400, the other told me $150. I went to the place that had the $150 seat and they said "Well we have to go pull it, it'll be about 3 or 4 hours". They said it would be the same color (black) and power heated seat. I came back 3 hours later when they called, it was a stained light gray seat from a earlier generation Malibu, no power seat, not heated. Come to find out, they were a parts broker who sent guys out to the local yards to pull parts. Waste of 6 hours. I could have spent the same amount of time and had twice the fun.

Well, it's just a lead. You never know, you might get lucky once in a while, the stars are aligned, etc. :lol:

:lol: The universe hated me back then. I was a screw-up. Though if OP doesn't buy that one I linked, I'm gonna snag it. I could always use a backup 4.44 rear diff for my SVX.

Thanks. Looks like a fair amount of work, but doable. Probably be sure I've got all my parts ready first.

So, put the backend on ramps to get a good look at the dif.

Nuts & bolts don't look to badly rusted and was able to break loose the drain & fill plugs in the dif.

Took pics of the numbers I could see starting toward the front of the car:

8X with 0/2 in a circle next to it

Double circle KN5 then what looks like a 1

Tried to post pics but only got real small image.

Question is - are there specific numbers or markings I should be looking for to verify 4.44 LSD ?

DifNumbers.thumb.jpg.9b006eaf8529543c54cead68bb100bc8.jpg

To make work a little bit easier, not only make sure you have all parts to be replaced, including consumables, but also make sure you get under the car and spray it with some penetrating oil about 24-48 hours before you start. My personal favorite is equal parts of acetone and ATF, mixed well. The absolute best penetrating oil ever.

You're likely going to need a rear wheel alignment, but it's been done without before, so make sure you have a shop in mind to do it after. Also, look into replacing normal wear parts while you're doing the job. My thought process for a large job like that is "I'm taking it off anyways, why not put a new one on". This includes brakes, bushings, end links, fill the new diff with some good oil, make sure your boots aren't bad and if they are buy a reman axle or reman it yourself. It may sound like a lot and a pain in the ass, but you'll thank yourself later when you don't have to replace that part that you should have replaced x months ago when everything was apart.

Thanks. Looks like a fair amount of work, but doable. Probably be sure I've got all my parts ready first.

So, put the backend on ramps to get a good look at the dif.

Nuts & bolts don't look to badly rusted and was able to break loose the drain & fill plugs in the dif.

Took pics of the numbers I could see starting toward the front of the car:

8X with 0/2 in a circle next to it

Double circle KN5 then what looks like a 1

Tried to post pics but only got real small image.

Question is - are there specific numbers or markings I should be looking for to verify 4.44 LSD ?

The stamp you're looking for is on the top of the neck of the diff. It should be stamped TP in a square. For 99 there was no LSD on the Outback. The Forester got it but only on the S models.

Gonna show my ignorance here - Is an LSD a direct bolt in & it works with no other modifications?

Gotta be somebody in the group that knows if I will benefit by bolting in an LSD dif..?? please.

Can anyone answer this..??

Gonna show my ignorance here - Is an LSD a direct bolt in & it works with no other modifications?

Gotta be somebody in the group that knows if I will benefit by bolting in an LSD dif..?? please.

Can anyone answer this..??

Yes, it is direct bolt on and requires no modification as long as the diff matches your final drive.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, did the swap to an LSD in my driveway. Not much fun and you definitely want some help at a couple of stages. You'll want lots of PB Blaster, an impact wrench, and I had to use my torch to loosen a few bolts. Put never seez on everything so if I ever have to do this again, please God don't make me do this again, I hope it will be easier.

Thanks everyone for the advice & help.

Good times. I wish I had one. I'm often asked by people in jeeps with huge lifts if I need any help because they could barely get to where they are and I must be trapped. I never have been, but still it would be nice to have one more tire putting torque down.

Archived