LegacyGT.com

lsd info please

i am looking at the manual 2000-2004 legacy and GT.

first: manual 2000 L vs GT suspension and drivetrain differences and benefits

second: manual 2003 L vs GT suspension and drivetrain differences and benefits

how do the rear lsd's compare in snow and slick conditions?

how much better handling does the GT have over the L?

what was improved for the 2003's for each?

thanks in advance.

Torque spilt depends on if it's an auto or manual. Manual cars are 50/50 front to rear all the time. The automatic cats are I think 80/20 front to rear until slip is detected then it adjusts for a Max of 60/40 split

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The GT and Outback Limited only came with the limited slip differential.

The torque split is a little more complicated depending on the year. On the 2000-2004 GT and Outback it was 50/50 on the 5MT. However with the 4EAT, the GT and Outback had 90/10 torque split with electronic variable control until 2003 when the GT Wagon and Sedan got VTD at 45/55 split with electronic variable control. The Outback only had VTD when equipped with the VDC option in 03 and 04. The VDC option gave a true 50/50 split that adapted to 45/55 under low traction. It was available since 01 on the Outback Limited 3.0 and 3.0 LL Bean.

3rd gens were so freaking confusing when it came to their drivetrain configurations. By 03, there were 9 different configurations.

The GT has the all-weather package, so you get heated seats, heated windshield, and heated mirrors for your winter driving pleasure.
My 2000 GT 5speed wagon has none of those features. I think it's just the GT limiteds that got those features

My 2000 GT 5speed wagon has none of those features. I think it's just the GT limiteds that got those features

My bad, I just saw he said 2000 GT and 2003 L. I read that backwards. The 03 GTs came standard with that package whether it was leather or not. In 03 the Limited option was dropped on the GT trim and all of them were equipped with the GT Limited package

Don't worry about whether one has LSD or not. Most cars of this generation didn't make enough power to make it that noticeable to begin with. Moreover, these are small, viscous-type LSD's, not the better, clutch types that STI's got.

GT's also got slightly bigger front brakes than the L's in the later years. Suspension wise, it was all the same, even the swaybars.

Gearing-wise...it depends on the year. Some GT's got a lower (e.g. taller) FD than some L's- for examply, early GT's had an FD 3.9, vs later L's had FD 4.11 like in my '03. Your best bet to verify what your car has is to look at the transmission ID on the driver's side bell-housing.

What I'm trying to say is, just get the car with the convenience features that you want and for the right price. Mechanically, they were all relatively the same. If you want extra power without any modification, get the H6 LL bean model, but that is auto-only. If you want a little fun commuter you can hop up a little bit, any of the 5spd ej25 cars will do.

Don't worry about whether one has LSD or not. Most cars of this generation didn't make enough power to make it that noticeable to begin with.

They absolutely make a difference, especially in snow. I'd rather have both my back wheels moving in low traction than biased to one side. A LSD is not just for performance cars. Ever get stuck in snow with a car without a limited slip? I have, it sucks. Especially when you can clearly see the wheel that's not spinning would have better traction that the wheel that is.

the 30th anniversary edition also got those as well iirc

The 30th anniversary Legacy GT was a 99 and was only available in a sedan only and was an extension of the Limited trim, so yes, it did get those. As far as the Wagon 30th Anniversary, they were only available in the L trim and did not have any of those options.

*GT Limited* from 2000-2002 does not have all weather. Just leather,mini sub under passenger seat, 6cd changer, sunroof, woodgrain trim, leather shift boot and knob, snowflakes,certain years bigger brakes with a lsd rear, fog lights, better head lights, color matched mirrors,door trim and side skirts. Spoiler is optional but 90% have it. I just wish it came with a turbo....

my main attraction to the 2003 over the 2002 is the bumper and the side exterior trim. can the bumpers be swapped without swapping the bar behind them?

on a budget, will a L wagon with a better brake kit be comparable to a GT's stock brakes?

thanks

my main attraction to the 2003 over the 2002 is the bumper and the side exterior trim. can the bumpers be swapped without swapping the bar behind them?

on a budget, will a L wagon with a better brake kit be comparable to a GT's stock brakes?

thanks

An 03 L will have the stock brakes of an 00-02 GT. 03+ legacy's got the better 2-cup center console, instead of the flimsy HVAC cupholders of the older models.

An 03 L will have the stock brakes of an 00-02 GT. 03+ legacy's got the better 2-cup center console, instead of the flimsy HVAC cupholders of the older models.
The 2000 GT did NOT get the same breaks as the rest of them. The 2000 got ~10.4 in rotors. The subsequent GT's got the ~11.3in rotors

The 2000 GT did NOT get the same breaks as the rest of them. The 2000 got ~10.4 in rotors. The subsequent GT's got the ~11.3in rotors

Only in 2003+ did the GT's get 11.4" (294mm) front brakes consistently. 2001 seemed to be the most inconsistent with later production 01's getting them, and earlier ones getting the smaller 10.8" (276mm) fronts, with a smattering of early 2002's getting the same treatment. These all used the same 2 piston front floating caliper, only the brackets differed.

Brighton and some L models of those same years got 10.5 (260mm), single piston front brakes.

see cars101.com

As to why this happened, it's anyone's guess. If you're looking at an 01-02 GT, your best bet is to just measure it yourself.

rougeben83 is right. 2001 is a very odd year to find parts for this car.

01 was the last year of Gen 2 brake parts it seems. In 01, the top trim, LL Bean, got the newer brakes that are found on the 03+ GT.

Funny, Subaru changed the body style and engine phase in 2000 but kept the previous gen chassis components (except the rear spindles) until 02-03.

01 was the last year of Gen 2 brake parts it seems. In 01, the top trim, LL Bean, got the newer brakes that are found on the 03+ GT.

Funny, Subaru changed the body style and engine phase in 2000 but kept the previous gen chassis components (except the rear spindles) until 02-03.

2002 was also when the WRX was first introduced into the North American market - perhaps subaru's largest market to compete in. They share the same bigger front brakes as the 2001+ GT's.

Archived