LegacyGT.com

2018 Legacy Tech

Had the car for 3 weeks today and just got home from the dealer who installed the remote start.

A couple of things I wanted to mention since I've seen threads here on the topics.

1. Remote Start

While it came with the extra fobs, it also works with the existing FOB. Just have to press the lock button 3 times, holding the 3rd press. I was really surprised (in a good way) to learn this as I had read you needed the 2nd one and even my salesperson told me that was the case.

2. USB music

They must have substantially improved the head unit. I have > 3200 mp3s on a USB stick and the scan time in just a few seconds. By the time I start the car and back out of the driveway, the entire library is fully available. I was disappointed by the reports that it took several minutes, but it's not the case for the 2018. I'm using a usb3 stick that has around 25GB out of 64GB used.

Anyway, I've learned quite a bit browsing this forum the last few weeks and thought I'd pass this along!

Had the car for 3 weeks today and just got home from the dealer who installed the remote start.

A couple of things I wanted to mention since I've seen threads here on the topics.

2. USB music

They must have substantially improved the head unit. I have > 3200 mp3s on a USB stick and the scan time in just a few seconds. By the time I start the car and back out of the driveway, the entire library is fully available. I was disappointed by the reports that it took several minutes, but it's not the case for the 2018. I'm using a usb3 stick that has around 25GB out of 64GB used.

Anyway, I've learned quite a bit browsing this forum the last few weeks and thought I'd pass this along!

Glad to hear they have improved USB read time ... On my 17 it takes the head unit 2min 12sec to read ~13GB of mp3's ! I do have many jpg's of the album cover's mixed in .... It is on a USB 3.0 stick, but if I forget to check where the song is when I shut down the car it will revert to the 1st track it reads off the USB until the file list is loaded. :confused: Since I leave my USB stick plugged in I don't know why it doesn't buffer 3-5 minutes or save the location.

I too have found many very informative, entertaining, & useful posts @ LegacyGT forums

I have a few hundred songs (at a time) and it loads immediately or seems like it. I'm not sure I would need Gigs or thousands/days of songs loaded up. Nice to hear they may of improved load time for those that do. I also have Sirius and a disk in so no shortage of selections. My 17 remote start works the same way although while staying in Grand Lake, the first morning the Fob started the car. The next two mornings I would get the lights and a beep but no start. The RF/separate Fob works 100% of the time. Distance is the limiting factor I would guess.

After putting my entire CD collection onto a USB drive, I was so happy that now I can finally listen to any of the music I've collected over the last 30 years.

I have a 64 gb USB stick, and the collection takes up about 25 gb of space. The first time it loaded up it took around 5 minutes (maybe less but I wasn't timing) which I thought was OK as it's just a one time thing.

To my utter disdain and disappointment it does this EVERY time I turn the car on !!!.

Listening to ELO........, stop for gas and when I turn the car back on it plays a minute of two of the same song and then reverts to the first song on the collection in alphabetical order. In this case AC/DC Back in Black. I guess this is because it's the first song loaded. I then have to wait until the whole collection is loaded up again, then go through the list, find the album and song I was listening to before stopping and then select that song again.

I can put up with many Subaru oversights and peculiarities but this takes the cake. Who the hell thought that this system was OK to put into a car needs firing!

I'm glad they fixed it for the 2018 model years, but now I have to live with this for the next 10 years.

:spin::spin::spin:MAD:spin::spin::spin:

and then reverts to the first song on the collection in alphabetical order. In this case AC/DC Back in Black. I'm glad they fixed it for the 2018 model years, but now I have to live with this for the next 10 years.QUOTE]

I hadn't realized the seriousness of this problem until I read your post PhilT .... but now I fully get it ...... 10 years of forced listening to AC/DC !!!!! ... that's an horrendous thought. Now on the other hand, if it was Professor Longhair or The Wild Tchoupitoulas on that 10 year endless loop .....Ahhhhh. :)

After putting my entire CD collection onto a USB drive, I was so happy that now I can finally listen to any of the music I've collected over the last 30 years.

I have a 64 gb USB stick, and the collection takes up about 25 gb of space. The first time it loaded up it took around 5 minutes (maybe less but I wasn't timing) which I thought was OK as it's just a one time thing.

To my utter disdain and disappointment it does this EVERY time I turn the car on !!!.

Listening to ELO........, stop for gas and when I turn the car back on it plays a minute of two of the same song and then reverts to the first song on the collection in alphabetical order. In this case AC/DC Back in Black. I guess this is because it's the first song loaded. I then have to wait until the whole collection is loaded up again, then go through the list, find the album and song I was listening to before stopping and then select that song again.

I can put up with many Subaru oversights and peculiarities but this takes the cake. Who the hell thought that this system was OK to put into a car needs firing!

I'm glad they fixed it for the 2018 model years, but now I have to live with this for the next 10 years.

:spin::spin::spin:MAD:spin::spin::spin:

If yours takes more than five minutes to load ... then you need to have that time remaining on the song you are on before you shut the car down! Another option;1] when you turn car back on restart the song you are on so it plays for the loading time or 2] switch to radio before turning off and then switch back to USB when restarting.

Both have worked for me unless I get a super short intro or interlude that is only 15-30 seconds.

I personally am rather peeved at it too that the system can't buffer the song you are on & the next one or two when you leave the usb in ... mine seems to delay also while searching by phone via BT for music each time it is started!

I hadn't realized the seriousness of this problem until I read your post PhilT .... but now I fully get it ...... 10 years of forced listening to AC/DC !!!!! ... that's an horrendous thought. Now on the other hand, if it was Professor Longhair or The Wild Tchoupitoulas on that 10 year endless loop .....Ahhhhh. :)

Could be worse........could be Kylie or even Jason Donovan :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

The other day when I took the car for service, they put be in a 2018 OB. I have to say I was pretty impressed with the head unit. Its very responsive compared to the 15-17s and it looked to be a higher resolution. probably even a different glass. You don't see the pulse graph of lines.

You can adjust settings and stuff while the car is moving and don't have to hack up the wires.

In the vehicle info screen it shows the yaw and roll angles, which I thought was pretty cool to have. Not that I ever needed it.

The side mirrors are nice and sleek and have a bigger BSM light that you won't miss.

With the HVAC control panel update, you can see the time in a single glance and don't have to search for it.

It also has the setting to auto lock and unlock doors that a lot of folks here wanted. You can set it to lock/unlock based on speed or shift lever. And you can have it set different for lock vs unlock. So you can have it lock at speed but unlock when shifted to park.

The speed limit shows up in the top center gauge cluster as well, which I think is pretty neat. And it doesn't turn red!

The upgraded steering wheel and controls feel nice. However I couldn't find the mute button on there..

Not sure if I'll like the frameless homelink mirror. I hate that my side mirrors now don't darken entirely and leave the border. And I think having that on the rear view mirror too will drive me nuts. It looks pretty darn sleek though.

Archived