LegacyGT.com

Engine shakes when rolling windows up/down or power doors

Car is a 2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium w/CVT. The car shakes when you use any kind of electrical item. I used the door locks and it shakes, same with windows. Anyone know what this could be? I'm thinking alternator or the battery. However, the battery is brand new. Could this be a grounding issue?

My 07 and 14 Legacy did and does this. I'm not sure how severe the shake is, but my engine bogs when the doors are locked or unlocked and when the window is completely up or down. example; If the window is already all the way up and I press up, the engine bogs a bit when the button is held down.

My 2013 2.5 does this. It's VERY, VERY slight. Honestly, I think it is simply the alternator taking the electrical load, which is putting a load on the belt (and therefore the engine). I think the engine is so well balanced that any decent electrical load (especially a motor load, like windows) will cause this.

It's not a defect. It's normal. It's simply the engine responding to the sudden increase of load from the alternator. Most cars to do this - most people maybe haven't noticed.

Archived