LegacyGT.com

Keep it or sell it off?? Need advice please.

Folks, I'm looking for some advice. I have an '04 Legacy. 218,000 miles. I paid $1,000 for it in March of last year. It had 154,000 on it at the time. It was a friend sale so I got an outstanding deal. It's been well maintained and everything works on it. I have all the service records on it since new. Here's what has happened lately:

*Hit a deer in January. $1500 got her back on the road again.

*Timing belt replaced in August at 210,000 ($925)

*Driver's side wheel bearing and ball joint replaced just 2 weeks ago ($770)

*Now, the throw-out bearing in the clutch is making noise and will cost $1300 to replace the whole clutch kit.

Is it time to just sell it off? I use it for work and drive roughly 3,500 miles a month. The deer wasn't the car's fault. The timing belt and everything else are basically wear items. But at 218,000 miles, what else is going to go wrong?

Thoughts?

If you are putting on over 40,000 miles per year, are those city miles or highway miles? City miles with stop and go driving are a lot harder on the car and will wear things out faster.

The clutch and throwout bearing are normal wear items, similar to brakes. You might be able to get a better deal on the clutch replacement, though.

Many Subarus can get to 250K or 300K miles before engine rebuild. You might expect things like exhaust system work, wheel bearings, CV boots, belts and hoses, alternator, starter, new battery, shocks, brakes and tires.

This is one of those judgement calls. Considering the low price you paid, you could probably maintain this thing for awhile longer and still come out ahead. When you get to the really high miles, you have to look at what it would cost you to replace the car, not what you could sell it for.

First of all stop taking your car to a dealer for service, $925 for timing belt? I did mine for right around $100. My ball joint was less than $10 and the bearing somewhere around $60 I think. I understand not everyone can do the work but you are being f**cked without lube. I personally would not spend $1,300 to have it fixed, if you can someone else to it cheaper I would just go that route as long as everything else is in fair condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off...I didn't have repairs done at a dealer. It's a local shop that does good work at a fair price. They are very highly rated and honest. I live in a condo and cannot do this kind of work in my parking lot.

Doesn't matter anyway. I traded it in on a new car today. Got $1,000 for it. I disclosed the clutch problem (not like they wouldn't have found it themselves). I'm happy but I'll miss my Subie!

First off...I didn't have repairs done at a dealer. It's a local shop that does good work at a fair price. They are very highly rated and honest. I live in a condo and cannot do this kind of work in my parking lot.

Doesn't matter anyway. I traded it in on a new car today. Got $1,000 for it. I disclosed the clutch problem (not like they wouldn't have found it themselves). I'm happy but I'll miss my Subie!

Where I’m from those are not fair prices. A good timing belt set can be had for around $200 and it’s about a 2 hour job. There’s no way it should cost almost $1000 to do a timing job. OEM ball joint and wheel bearing can be had for about $100, again maybe a 2 hour job.. It sounds like they’re charging like $300 an hour for labor or they are charging about 3x the cost for parts. In the end it’s up to you, do what you want but I suggest you at least buy the parts and take them to the shop and have them put them on. Good luck with your new car.

Also did they really only give you $1,000 for it? I was offered $1500 trade in for my 2000 and it’s seen way better days.

I'm not sure why I feel the need to defend myself, especially for a car that I no longer own. But... according to Nadaguides.com, a 2004 Legacy 35th anniversary with a stick and 218K is worth $1,150 in my area for average condition. My car was pretty average plus it needed a clutch. I know that it should have only cost like $15 and took 20 minutes to install according to you but I was happy with $1,000 for it. That's what I paid for it 18 months and 62K miles ago. I can't complain.

I don’t think you got a bad deal I just thought your car would be worth more than that. Mine books for less than that if I’m not mistaken, but these things sell for way higher than book value in good condition. One that runs good with no rust typically goes for about $3,000 in my area.

I don’t think you got a bad deal I just thought your car would be worth more than that. Mine books for less than that if I’m not mistaken, but these things sell for way higher than book value in good condition. One that runs good with no rust typically goes for about $3,000 in my area.

Yup bought mine (2003 with rust) for $2000. Also those are really bad prices for the parts and work.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure why I feel the need to defend myself, especially for a car that I no longer own. But... according to Nadaguides.com, a 2004 Legacy 35th anniversary with a stick and 218K is worth $1,150 in my area for average condition. My car was pretty average plus it needed a clutch. I know that it should have only cost like $15 and took 20 minutes to install according to you but I was happy with $1,000 for it. That's what I paid for it 18 months and 62K miles ago. I can't complain.

I assume you don’t believe me when I tell you how inexpensive these can be had for.

Here is the wheel bearing complete with seals and hub for only $60

https://ebay.com/itm/KOYO-Front-Wheel-Bearing-Front-Hub-Set-For-Impreza-Legacy-Forester-Baja/252371545180?fits=Year%3A2004%7CModel%3ALegacy&hash=item3ac2842c5c%3Ag%3ASZMAAOSw3mpXIqpv&_trkparms=pageci%253A626ea5fb-b8fb-11e7-855a-74dbd1808681%257Cparentrq%253A501c3bfa15f0ab64835e1d3bffffb977%257Ciid%253A5

Here is the ball joint for only $35

https://ebay.com/itm/OEM-Genuine-Subaru-Front-Lower-Ball-Joint-Complete-20206AJ000-/112504276157?fits=Year%3A2004%7CMake%3ASubaru%7CModel%3ALegacy&epid=1611317187&hash=item1a31c704bd%3Ag%3ApJoAAOSw9fNZf~YJ&_trkparms=pageci%253Accb930bb-b8fb-11e7-a47e-74dbd1806531%257Cparentrq%253A501ef49915f0a9cb1bea0010fffe139b%257Ciid%253A1

Here is a list of timing belt kits, the go to is usually Gates or Aisin. Both of which are priced below $200.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,2004,legacy,2.5l+h4,1440649,engine,timing+belt%2C+water+pump+&+component+kit,16088

These are all top quality products. If you wanted to go cheaper you could. I paid $60 for my timing set, and have less than $100 invested in both wheel bearings and ball joints, but those are no name parts mostly.

Just for shits and giggles, here’s a list of clutch kits too, so you can see how badly you were about to get screwed.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,2004,legacy,2.5l+h4,1440649,transmission-manual,clutch+kit,1993

I’m not trying to be an asshole, I’m just trying to save you some money in the future. Do some research before deciding to pay out the rear end.

my dealer did my 2003 Legacy T-Belt for $450 and that included a new $100 tensioner....

Archived