LegacyGT.com

Help sell me on an '18 Legacy vs. '18 Accord...

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess I should be extremely happy that I am 3 hours aways from Daytona:lol:

Three hours? Your profile says you're in Jacksonville. Last time I did that in the LGT it was only a little over 1 1/2 hours from Daytona Beach Shores.;)

Did you get to the Florida Subaru Rumble on the Beach last April on Daytona Beach (Shores)? I never knew there were so many Subarus in Florida.

I apologize for highjacking this thread. Where were we? Dealer add-ons? Buying a 2018 Legacy vs. a 2018 Accord?

728078190_LGTontheBeach.thumb.jpg.f23811770f2520e0e1603eeeacf85be6.jpg

Maybe part of the experience is the dealership. I recently visited 2 different Honda dealers to check out the new Accord and got no help. The first one I walked around for about 20 minutes and no help, salesman walked right by and didn't even say hello, so I left, went to the second dealer, walked around for 15 minutes walked into the showroom and asked for a salesperson so I could check out the new Accord, was told someone would be right with me, waited another 20 minutes with nothing. Left me with a sour taste...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I work at a hospital, and we never close due to weather. I HAVE to be at work, and short of a nuclear war, no excuses. Here in the PacNW, we get a ton of black ice in the winter. So, the comment earlier about only needing AWD 3 days a year, does not apply to where I live.

Just in my neighborhood alone where plowing is infrequent, there is no way I would want to traverse the hills in my area with a 2wd Accord or Camry. No way.

If the roads so much as look slushy/slippery, it gets very hazardous with such steep hills. At a minimum, I would take my Suburban in 4wd w/Cooper AT3's. It will climb any icy hill, and plow through deep snow where cars can only dream. But, it stops about as well as a freight train. Since we got the Subie, the world has been a much better place.

I had a 2003 Accord with a manual transmission. It was nice to drive and looked okay. And it rusted everywhere. It was just okay in snow. It also had parts that came off the trunk hinges and the rear pass-through was too small for a bicycle with the one-piece rear seat down. I looked at the 2015 Accord carefully. The parts in it were cheap. Compare the trunk hinge with the struts on the Legacy. The same goes for the hood - Honda has lift and stick. The Legacy has struts and a much bigger pass-through. The four wheel drive made a world of difference for two winters compared to FWD. And the ride on the Legacy is a delight. Even the CVT is okay with the paddle shifters so I don't miss the MT as much as I would with the Honda. Eyesight works with color cameras so there is more information and processing for the system than radar can provide. And if you can't see where you are going, you shouldn't expect to be flying blind successfully. Subaru developed the camera system because it can "see" more about what that thing is in front of you. The rear detector is radar on our Forester and is forever doing panic stops when we back up near flowers. I went for a demonstration of Eyesight at an auto show - the distinctions that it makes are remarkable. Finally, my wife replaced her old Legacy wagon with a Forester. That has the same 4 cylinder engine as the Legacy (and paddle shifters) but it weighs less, so it's faster. It rides well and has better use of space So compare the Forester with the Legacy. The Outback is the other thing to compare but the four cylinder is too slow.

I work at a hospital, and we never close due to weather. I HAVE to be at work, and short of a nuclear war, no excuses. Here in the PacNW, we get a ton of black ice in the winter. So, the comment earlier about only needing AWD 3 days a year, does not apply to where I live.

Just in my neighborhood alone where plowing is infrequent, there is no way I would want to traverse the hills in my area with a 2wd Accord or Camry. No way.

If the roads so much as look slushy/slippery, it gets very hazardous with such steep hills. At a minimum, I would take my Suburban in 4wd w/Cooper AT3's. It will climb any icy hill, and plow through deep snow where cars can only dream. But, it stops about as well as a freight train. Since we got the Subie, the world has been a much better place.

Here-here, sort of along the lines of "better to have it & not need it vs. need it & not have it".

Hondas are wonderful cars...

...for about 120-150k miles. Then their transmissions explode.

Yep...exactly right! I have had one Honda at 230K and have a 2001 Accord with 170K. Trannys work PERFECTLY! Let's try not to generalize too much:spin:

Hmmm

Tech, power and manual or AWD and ok tech.

Hard decision.

Another reason to avoid the accord. You'll end up in a community with asshats like this clown who continues to comment without receiving any attention, except for this one [emoji6]. In b4 this guy posts up a partout thread on honda forums when he totals his fwd accord on one of those "3 days" it snows.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

21 years of fwd/rwd driving in the north east and not a single at fault accident.

vs the guy who doesn't know how to turn off his Tapatalk signature. :lol:

grew up on RWD, middle years on FWD and latter years on AWD, guess what/ AWD is worth every penny and then some of the penalty you pay in fuel mileage.. and I do not get stuck climbing up steep inclines due to lack of traction.... that's why I own 2 Subaru Legacies.

Comparing my Legacy 15 Premium and a friends Accord 18, would say the ride with accord was a bit more comfortable and smooth and indeed more quite...(the wind noise really bothers me and dealer says it's like that and there is no fix for it!) and as I tried my other friends Camry 2018 (which I don't like at all for many reasons) I would say both loose in ride comfort to the still old fashioned Camry 18!

But still love my Subaru... besides the AWD, safety...lower CG (because of the boxer engine)...there are several other small but important things:

the infotainment system and the display is much better than the accord (and also to Camery 18), the large gas tank is really a benefit...that saved me during the hurricane Irma evacuations and the severe gas shortage...and the lifting system for the hood and trunk is really advantageous, Legacy trunk is smaller than Accord, but since the lift struts stay out of the trunk it allows more efficient use of the cargo space...Also the wider opening to the main cabin (after folding the rear seat) is really advantageous...at least for me it worked great because I could carry all my IKEA furniture in my own car (indeed not with a single trip :) )

Comparing my Legacy 15 Premium and a friends Accord 18, would say the ride with accord was a bit more comfortable and smooth and indeed more quite...(the wind noise really bothers me and dealer says it's like that and there is no fix for it!) and as I tried my other friends Camry 2018 (which I don't like at all for many reasons) I would say both loose in ride comfort to the still old fashioned Camry 18!

But still love my Subaru... besides the AWD, safety...lower CG (because of the boxer engine)...there are several other small but important things:

the infotainment system and the display is much better than the accord (and also to Camery 18), the large gas tank is really a benefit...that saved me during the hurricane Irma evacuations and the severe gas shortage...and the lifting system for the hood and trunk is really advantageous, Legacy trunk is smaller than Accord, but since the lift struts stay out of the trunk it allows more efficient use of the cargo space...Also the wider opening to the main cabin (after folding the rear seat) is really advantageous...at least for me it worked great because I could carry all my IKEA furniture in my own car (indeed not with a single trip :) )

Supposedly the Legacy wind noise has been fixed in the '18, with revisions to the side mirrors (more like the Impreza). Plus thicker door glass correct?

I agree even though the Accord's trunk technically measure bigger, you lose 1-2 cubes w/ the hinges getting in the way.

On the infotainment setup, I can't decide if I like the Legacy's embedded method -or- Accord's on top the dash. Seems like on-top might catch more glare.

I'm going to have to double check the seat height on both vehicles, getting in/out of the Accord may be a bit more of a chore.

I have feeling that I will be able to wheel & deal better on the Legacy long before the Accord loosen up.

^^^ personal jabs about technical know-how on forum signatures and posturing on driving skills don't contribute to the Accord vs Legacy debate. So far this forum has been pretty civil; let's keep it so.

You must be new here :lol:

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

I'm starting to lean more towards the Accord, if nothing else for just being a lot faster. The 1.5 Accord is about an 7.5 sec 0-60 time vs Legacy 9-9.5 (maybe even 10??). Not to mention the 2.0, which the numbers haven't been released yet.

But comparable equip, I'm pretty sure the Accord is going to cost more, like $2-3k.

I'm starting to lean more towards the Accord, if nothing else for just being a lot faster. The 1.5 Accord is about an 7.5 sec 0-60 time vs Legacy 9-9.5 (maybe even 10??). Not to mention the 2.0, which the numbers haven't been released yet.

But comparable equip, I'm pretty sure the Accord is going to cost more, like $2-3k.

2.0 Honda is at 5.7 sec 0-60 and has been released weeks ago.

Archived