LegacyGT.com

Pin Code programming for Key Fob.

Just curious if anyone has done this with the new key fob? (NOTE: Mods, if thread needs to be moved to a diff. section, feel free.) ;)

It'd be nice if hiking/biking/beach trip/etc. to leave the large/heavy key fob in the car, without worry.

Personally, I may just try it, and convince myself that it's safe enough. ;)

I should have mentioned it is new to me. With my previous impreza, I still had the older turn key, with the buttons built in.

Good to know that you use it on occasion. I just got the car a month ago, so, still reading the manual as time permits. ;)

If your car has keyless access, it will not let you lock the door by tapping on the handle with the key still in the car. I wouldn't be surprised if the doors won't lock at all with the key still inside the car and the engine not running.

That being said, I haven't set up the PIN feature on my Legacy. I would much rather just use the MySubaru app/website.

That being said, I haven't set up the PIN feature on my Legacy. I would much rather just use the MySubaru app/website.

Gotcha. Shy of people wanting to pay for that 'service,' through the app, I guess there's always the option to set up the pin code. ;)

Gotcha. Shy of people wanting to pay for that 'service,' through the app, I guess there's always the option to set up the pin code. ;)

Absolutely. I think it cost me around $250 for 3 years of the higher level service that includes vehicle tracking if stolen. For me, the piece of mind was worth it. I was debating settings up the PIN code at one point myself, but realized I didn't want to go through the hassle with the app on my phone as an alternative haha.

I think the PIN code/ key disable is great and I use it all the time, especially when I'm working out or going to be outside doing something where I don't want to have a bunch of stuff in my pockets. Obviously it takes a little longer to get back into your car but it really is much safer(unless someone is following/chasing you and you're trying to get into your car quickly for safety). If you were just to drop your key fob or have it stolen you could easily find the car and drive away with it. To get it when it's locked in the car with the PIN setup would would either need to know the PIN and how/where to enter it in or go the less discrete route and smash open a window. If someone actually wanted to steal the whole car and not just stuff they would then have to know how reactivate the key to get the car started since the car won't start with the fob disabled.

If some one is dumb enough to steal stuff from your car or the car itself I doubt they would be able to do any of that - except for maybe smash the window haha.

Well, based on this, I think I'll set it up.

Most of the time, my car is parked at work, or in my garage. But, when we take long trips and go hiking in the mountains, it'd be nice to leave the key(s) and the fob in the car out of sight. Plus, in remote areas, there aren't many thieves lookin' to steal cars. Maybe the stuff inside but at least most suspecting thieves wouldn't be able to figure out the code and reactivate the key. That's my hope, anyway. :)

That is why I have Insurance.
:lol: +2

Archived