LegacyGT.com

Is it possible to apply too much tension to the timing belt?

I replaced the timing belt on my 2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i, all pulleys were replaced as well the only thing that was not replaced was the water pump because it looked like it was recently replaced. Everything went as plan and the installation was easier than expected. I drove the car today (40+ miles) when suddenly a grinding noise caught my attention. I managed to get home and quickly checked the timing belt but everything appears to be fine which makes me wonder, is it possible to apply way too much tension to the timing belt? I really don’t have another explanation for that noise. Does anybody know what the symptoms are of an over tensioned timing belt?

The timing belt has a hydraulic tensioner so no you cannot apply too much tension to it (you did pull the pin out of it right?). You can install some parts improperly, I would check around all the pulleys, idlers and cam pulleys for any rubbing or loose parts. Also check the accessory belt on the engine to be sure everything is aligned and nothing is rubbing on that.

Does your car have a manual transmission? If so, there are timing belt guides that need to be adjusted with the correct amount of clearance.

Timing belt tension is automatic and should be self-adjusting, as FLlegacy was saying.

Your drive belt tension for alternator, P/S and A/C is set manually, did you get that set right?

Archived