LegacyGT.com

2018+ Factory tinted windows?

I’m really liking the 18 Legacy 3.6. Does the window come with any type of tint from the factory? My 11 Outback Limited came with what seems to be lighter tinting on the front and sides, and dark tint on the rear and hatch.

??

Most front windows are usually factory tinted to around 77%. They aren't clear. At least according to my tint meter when I was testing it on new cars at a car dealership.

Are you saying yours is darker from the factory?

I had to get mine done aftermarket to 35%.

Just to be clear...as chowser51 stated, some manufacturers "tint" the glass from the factory but it's built into the manufacturing process of the glass...it is not a film. If you want a real tint that will reduce heat and UV you MUST have a professional tinter put a good quality film on your glass. I went with 35% here in FL which is legal. In VA I had to use 50% which was legal in that state. I suggest a ceramic tint as they are the best for both heat and UV rejection.

See attachment for (incomplete) window light transmission data I have compiled from information provided by SOA in April/May/August 2015 and October 2017. Any authoritative additions/updates appreciated.

The glass information listed below represents calculated reference values, and may not represent actual values determined by testing.

For the Outback:

Front windshield - 0% for both UVA and UVB

Front door glass - 20% UVA & 1% UVB

Moonroof - 10% UVA & 1% UVB

Rear door glass with dark tint - 5% UVA & 1% UVB

Rear door partition glass with dark tint - 5% UVA & 1% UVB

Rear quarter glass with dark tint - 10% UVA & 1% UVB

Rear glass with dark tint - 5% UVA & 1% UVB

Solar Penetration levels:

Front windshield - 45%

Front door glass - 45%

Moonroof - 15%

Rear door glass with dark tint - 20%

Rear door partition glass with dark tint - 15%

Rear quarter glass with dark tint - 20%

Rear glass with dark tint - 25%

Visible Ray Light Transmittance Values:

Front windshield - 75%

Front door glass - 75%

Moonroof - 20%

Rear door partition glass with dark tint - 20%

Rear quarter glass with dark tint - 25%

And for the Legacy:

Front windshield - 0% for both UVA and UVB

Front door glass - 20% UVA & 1% UVB

Moonroof - 5% UVA & 1% UVB

Rear door glass with dark tint - 0% UVA & 1% UVB

Rear door partition glass with dark tint - 0% UVA & 1% UVB

Rear quarter glass with dark tint - 0% UVA & 1% UVB

Rear glass with dark tint - 0% UVA & 1% UVB

Solar Penetration levels:

Front windshield - 45%

Front door glass - 45%

Moonroof - 15%

Rear door partition glass with dark tint - 15%

Rear quarter glass with dark tint - 20%

Visible Ray Light Transmittance Values:

Front windshield - 75%

Front door glass - 75%

Moonroof - 20%

Rear door partition glass with dark tint - 20%

Rear quarter glass with dark tint - 25%

[source: Personal correspondence, Subaru of America, October 20, 2017]

N.B. I'm not so sure about "rear quarter glass" in a Legacy.

Window_Light_Transmission_171020.pdf

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

... [factory tint is] built into the manufacturing process of the glass...it is not a film.

Exactly.

If you want a real tint that will reduce heat and UV you MUST have a professional tinter put a good quality film on your glass.
Not necessarily. See the attachment I posted above.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

For 2018 the UV light reduction is down to 99% due to the new front and side laminated windows. If you care as well, this reduces the wind noise too! The windows did not come tinted with a film layer BUT the lamination gives it a bit of a tint effect. I ended up getting all windows tinted with 35% for the side and back and the front with Air 80.

hQo56Jh.jpg

For 2018 the UV light reduction is down to 99% ...

Good to know. Careful, though ... the figures I posted were for light transmission, not reduction. 99% reduction = 1% transmission.

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...
I read tinting the rear window impacts dimming the outside read view mirrors since the only sensor in on the inside rear view mirror.

Also that tinting the windshield can interfere with the Eyesight camera accuracy/function.

I have 5% tint on all my rear windows and 35% tint front windows and have never had issues at all all auto dimming mirrors still works and no affect on Eyesight.

Our Forester XT Touring came with darker tint in the rear and some lesser tint for the front windows. My '15 Legacy seemed to have very little, if any tint, all around. I spent a pretty penny to have UV + IR-blocking tint installed. Driving with the sun to my left and in my face, the difference between the stock Forester and after-market Legacy tint is night and day. The heat reduction is pretty impressive with the aftermarket tint in my Legacy.

When we have more cash I plan to add the expensive ceramic tint to the Forester, probably before next Summer.

I don't have any plans on adding tint to the windshield. I don't like how driving into the sun can heat me up on a long drive, but it's not worth the potential Eyesight issues. I'll have to settle for less heat added from the rest of the green house, unless I can garner some information that leads me to believe windshield tint is OK.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

I read tinting the rear window impacts dimming the outside read view mirrors since the only sensor in on the inside rear view mirror.

Also that tinting the windshield can interfere with the Eyesight camera accuracy/function.

I have 5% tint on all my rear windows and 35% tint front windows and have never had issues at all all auto dimming mirrors still works and no affect on Eyesight.

Same here. 15% and the auto dim works perfectly fine.

tinting my windows to 50% (legal limit here) had absolutely no effect on mirror performance.

Outbacks are tinted from the factory (rear and rear side glass in cargo area) and they also have 0 issues

2nd the above. Mine are tinted to allowable (must allow 27% VLT) and dim etc. all work fine.. (Cannot tint windshield)

You can tint a windshield. Mine is tinted with Air80...optically clear and very robust UV and heat rejection. If you didn't know I put it on, you'd never know it was there!

http://asiapacific.llumar.com/choose-a-product/automotive-window-films/clear-window-films

Archived