LegacyGT.com

05 LGT Midpipe and Y-Pipe Options

Looking for some feedback regarding mid and y-pipe options for my 05 LGT. A previous owner decided to cut the downpipe and weld it to the OEM mid pipe which I am not a fan of. Not looking for a full exhaust if I can help it, I'd like to use my Prodrive mufflers and replace the mid and y, the options I have found are AVO, Turbo XS and Megan Racing.

I plan on replacing the CNT catless DP with an Invidia catless DP when I replace the other components.

Has anyone run a similar set-up, and if so, how did you like it? Thanks!

I've had a custom Y back to magnaflow knock off mufflers for over 5 years, loved the sound with the stock mid pipe and catless Invidia dp.

The Y piece rusted out, it was a cheap piece the exhaust shop had laying around.

I like the throttle response of the stock midpipe. the Invidai Q300 I bought in Aug was way to loud and I feel the car lost some throttle response.

I'm currently running the stock midpipe from my 09 Spec B on the wagon with Pro Lab Tuning straight through mufflers. It has a deep sound but has a drone on the highway. I'll put the stock wagon mufflers on soon for the winter. The set up sounds nice with the windows rolled down.

I've poste pictures recently in other threads, will do them from home later tonight.

try post #2368 http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/did-you-do-your-4th-gen-legacy-todayi-vol-7-262261p60.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My setup is cnt catted downpipe, turboxs mid/y pipe with resonator, stock cans. Turboxs cans droned too much for me. Want to try a different resonator with the turboxs cans but I wpuld have to cut up the nice mid pipe.

Try to stay away from the bell mouth CNT downpipes. I've removed and installed them a few times and there is one nut thats a pain the butt to loosen and tighten. one time i had to Dremel the nut off because it was seized/rounded. If you are a budget then go for CNT because it does work and the fitment is alright.

Do some research on the divorced down pipes. That might be a better option.

That same nut under the DP is a PITA with all dp's.

Just use anti-seize compound and don't over tighten it. Make sure you put good nut on that one.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for all the feedback!! I plan on getting the Invidia divorced catless DP as it's one of the few options for the 5EAT. Still trying to determine which mid/y set up to get. I've read great things about AVO with the Prodrive mufflers I have but it's $600+ and out of stock almost everywhere. I think I wanna stick with a resonated mid, which eliminates the Turbo XS and a GMS.

The wagon is about to be garaged for the season (forecast calls for snow on Friday) so I have some time to figure it out.

Wait, it's going to snow and you're parking your awd turbo Subaru???

Other than the fact that it's welded together, is there anything wrong with your current setup? There's nothing wrong with welding the pipes together. The DP is 3" and the exhaust is 2.5" and requires an adapter to mate them together, or cut and weld.

Wait, it's going to snow and you're parking your awd turbo Subaru???

Other than the fact that it's welded together, is there anything wrong with your current setup? There's nothing wrong with welding the pipes together. The DP is 3" and the exhaust is 2.5" and requires an adapter to mate them together, or cut and weld.

Sadly yes, the LGT is going in storage for the winter and I'll be driving my 08 Outback instead. I have a little rust starting on the LGT and until I can repair it I want to avoid the salt and crap they put all over our roads in Minnesota.

My set-up works for now, the mid/y is getting pretty rusty and I would like to replace at some point - since parts are limited for the 05 LGT I am looking now while there are still a few options available.

Yeah, WTF? Powersliding the wagon is possibly the best part of winter. After dropping the kids at school, I go fishtail for a half hour.

Yes it is, and until I find a rust-free turbo as my daily (or a rusty-but-trusty one) I will be grocery getting in the Outback, and joyriding in my husbands WRX this winter :)

I just put on the Cobb catted DP for the 5EAT. I really like the change in tone and the significant improvement over stock throttle response and performance. it fits beautifully as well. the only headache it gave me was the fact that I have a borla catback and the grimmspeed gasket didn't fit over the flared piece at the flanges. else, it's great!

Archived