LegacyGT.com

Getting shafted by Wyoming Valley Subaru timing belt service

edwardsde69

So about a year back I got my 09 subaru legacy gt, it had 95000 on the clock and when it approached 100000 I took what I thought was preventative maintenance and got the timing belt changed. Well that's at least what they charged me for. About a month or too went by and I started having some noisy idles and when I would rev it it would sound like a whine. I figured it was the belt breaking in so I let it go for about a year. Just recently I decided to pop the timing cover off and every bearing has play in it. In addition the belt has developed some cracking and the tensioner has weeped fluid. You guys let me know if I'm crazy or if this is normal wear but I'm thinking all they changed was the water pump.

I put about 11000 miles on the car since.

Also should note if I shake each and every bearing it sounds like a box of marbles.2136420c2ef0e84c55617cc4b2ad8b00.jpgd9cbdb040eaa9928f9d65b3fbfdc0da0.jpga6dce3a78381158ce2afa5176c2abfd0.jpga3dbb5a2490a47e6b3e35bbde2a00985.jpgce902dc571a934eb5d3c36f9a1a454d1.jpgfc3e67a86c75ded5caa7e8fd261274b4.jpg2b62598e1ace1847eb17d534a8663fe9.jpgd8910dd5d2bcca6a95574f734958c335.jpg992a696093142bd3352348613eb6848d.jpgc5f4a10dd9ce8e8d362ed3c90eb52c63.jpgcc07931205886816db5d3d9b1e1d6a9a.jpg773d73704a78f89c23d87c94c3451abf.jpgaf5f9df599cdbb31c0842efa81877bf1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Continental is an aftermarket belt, so it's almost certain they replaced it unless the belt had been previously replaced. OEM I believe is a Gates belt, but I don't think it's branded as Gates, but more importantly, it wouldn't be branded as Gates' competitor continental.

As for the pulleys, harder for me to say, but if they went to all the trouble to replace the belt, once you've gotten that far, it doesn't really make much sense to suddenly get lazy about the other bolt-up items.

Those look like the original idlers and tensioner. The red-colored idler is the old design with only a single bearing, the newer design has a double bearing just like the blue-colored idler has. The Contitech timing belt must have been changed, that does not look like an OEM part.

Sometimes places will not quote the full timing belt service including the idlers, tensioner and water pump because they think the customer will be turned off by the cost. So, they try to cheap out and it ends up being false economy when one of the components on the timing belt path goes out later on.

Looks like they changed the belt and nothing else. It's hard to say about the water pump. What did they claim to have done?

Those look like the original idlers and tensioner. The red-colored idler is the old design with only a single bearing, the newer design has a double bearing just like the blue-colored idler has. The Contitech timing belt must have been changed, that does not look like an OEM part.

Sometimes places will not quote the full timing belt service including the idlers, tensioner and water pump because they think the customer will be turned off by the cost. So, they try to cheap out and it ends up being false economy when one of the components on the timing belt path goes out later on.

Looks like they changed the belt and nothing else. It's hard to say about the water pump. What did they claim to have done?

Everything I wanted the belt and all idlers changed and the water pump. The water pump appears to be new.

I paid over 900 to have the work done.

Also asked numerous times to have my old parts back but never received anything as you can see why.

For $900 they definitely didn't replace everything. Belt still has the white timing marks so that was replaced. Agree on the idlers looking original. The stock water pumps are really good and usually still look like new. I personally don't recommend replacing the water pump and never heard of one failing.

I would. The reason Subaru originally used the single bearing is that idler is under the least belt pressure of all of them. However, they changed to the double bearing because that was found to be more durable and reliable than the single bearing. You can see pictures to compare them below.

You don't want to have to worry about any of these things for another 100K miles. Losing an idler would mean valve damage.

Note there is a flat washer that needs to fit behind one of those idlers to get clearance from the engine case. I forget which one. So, keep those washers when you remove the old components.

idler-2.jpg.b2d830e16f3ebf56e05784fa020838ad.jpg

idler-1.jpg.f97f3ad77a69b5af309e7a806d34d69d.jpg

I would. The reason Subaru originally used the single bearing is that idler is under the least belt pressure of all of them. However, they changed to the double bearing because that was found to be more durable and reliable than the single bearing. You can see pictures to compare them below.

You don't want to have to worry about any of these things for another 100K miles. Losing an idler would mean valve damage.

Note there is a flat washer that needs to fit behind one of those idlers to get clearance from the engine case. I forget which one. So, keep those washers when you remove the old components.

Ok gotcha the funny thing is I already bought a separate one with the double bearing so I should be good.

The only spacer I found was behind the tensioner.

Should not be happening that quickly on all new components, which they were not.

12mo/12K miles is Subaru's warranty on their repairs. Since it's still only 11K miles, I'd file a complaint with SOA Customer Care and see if they will repair, or at least reimburse you for the repairs.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Show them how noisy the idlers that you took off the car are. When they can spin those pulleys by hand and hear them sound like a rollerskate wheel, they will realize there is no way those were replaced just one year ago. If they charged you $900, you should get at least a partial refund. They did not treat you right.

Why to have them tell you "no that's normal the belts just breaking in".
Well, there's always a chance they could tell you that - but if you are firm, and they actually look at the parts, that's not likely - at the very least, they'd replace the parts that were "defective" (bearings with play, leaking tensioner, cracked belt) since it would be still in the 12 month/12k miles warranty. If it isn't brought back, then they definitely won't cover it.

To be fair guys I fought with myself for a while for whether or not to disassemble and check if the work they had done was correct. I did and found one pulley with play took it off and the tensioner tensed back up so everything had to come off.

You think I can go there with these pulleys and belt and they would give me any sort of refund??

Yeah looking at my receipt shows they only replaced the belt and water pump. What kind of subaru dealership only replaces the belt and says **** it with the idlers. I remember specifically telling then to replace all the idlers.

On these cars I know the belt doesn't usually break it's the idlers that do.

You paid $900.00 for a belt and waterpump replacement?

$900.00 should cover much more than just those 2 items and labor.

Something's not right here. If you told them to replace everything, and they didn't, then the only recourse you have is what's on the repair order.

If you don't still have a copy of it, you can just stop by their payment office and have them print you a copy of it.

If it's not on there, it's not been done, and you have no options but to replace the parts on your own dime.

However, if it is on the repair order, then they charged you but didn't do the work.

If the latter, and they balk about repairs, contact Subaru Customer Care, without delay and let them work it out.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived