LegacyGT.com

Taking a trip to the dragstrip

I am planning on going to New England Dragway this Friday (10-20-2017)with my 5th Gen LGT. My only engine mod is a OTS Cobb AP. I am probably not going to do a ton of runs, but I have itch to make some drag strip runs and my other vehicle is acting up. I am curious on what I can make it run for a time. I will obviously post good or bad my results. Anyone local is more than welcome to join me.

I am planning on going to New England Dragway this Friday (10-20-2017)with my 5th Gen LGT. My only engine mod is a OTS Cobb AP. I am probably not going to do a ton of runs, but I have itch to make some drag strip runs and my other vehicle is acting up. I am curious on what I can make it run for a time. I will obviously post good or bad my results. Anyone local is more than welcome to join me.

have you read thru this sticky? http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5th-gen-1-4-mile-time-142091.html

I have read that thread in the past, my 2.5i is even in that thread from one time I raced it back when I 11st bought it.

I already practiced a few 5k launches and they seem to go pretty well. I am more worried about missing shifts than anything else.

Mine is set to 4k, and the few times that I have launched, I have found myself bouncing off the rev limiter before I can even get it into 2nd gear. I'm literally in 1st for about 1 second, the shift comes real quick.

I ran mine a few weeks back on the Cobb off the shelf tune for the 91 octane CA fuel and my best was a 13.72 at 99 mph. That was slipping the clutch and granny shifting. I learned about the launch 2 step and the flat foot shifting and went back to better my time and only ended up slipping the crap out of the clutch, my car does have some sort of aftermarket clutch too. Im not going back, im not gonna beat this car up anymore, dont wanna totally kill the clutch.

I practiced yesterday, the 4K launch went smoothly with practically no spin. I will start with that and adjust accordingly. The 5K FFS feel funny compared the FFS shift I have done other cars, but it's a lot less violent. I figured out my issues with my 1-2 shift hitting the gate and missing quick shifts, [i generally don't drive my car that hard], I have to apply pressure to left towards the 1-2 shift stop and obviously pull down toward 2nd and it cured my missed shift issues. [i actually had that issue with my 2.5i as well, again I rarely drove it that hard.]

My lugs were loose after my practice launches, they must have not been fully seated from when I replaced them all. I brought a torque wrench with me so I can check the lugs at the track.

I suck. I did 3 full runs and I couldn't put everything together. My best ET was 13.7 with 96.5mph which I missed 4th Gear. My best mph was 99.2mph on 14.4 ET which missed 2nd gear. I would have like to get a full run, but it still is fun and I didn't break anything. My good 60's were low 1.9, I am sure I could have improved that but I was trying got get a clean run 1st. My runs looked clean on AP in terms of knock.

During tech inspection when I had to test my clutch safety with, my DAM dropped to 0.938. I have never seen my DAM at anything below 1.00 and it I look at it everyday. My 1st run was using 0.938 DAM. I didn't know how to easily get my DAM back to 1 other than leave the track and take it for a cruise. I ended up reloading my MAP, but then I screwed up my LAUNCH control and FFS shifting. (I think I have to adjust those with the engine running) On run I was little shocked to see my start RPM go to 6000rpm on the launch on that run when I was expect it to stop at 4k,I at least recognized its before I over rev'd my motor but it threw me for a loop.

You have to reset the LC and FFS after reloading the map, learned that the hard way as well. Still respectable numbers for a family sedan!

I did reset them, but it didn't take. I suspect it was because the engine wasn't running when I edited them. It was like it was in the memory of the AP but didn't get transferred to the ECM memory.

I suck. I did 3 full runs and I couldn't put everything together. My best ET was 13.7 with 96.5mph which I missed 4th Gear. My best mph was 99.2mph on 14.4 ET which missed 2nd gear. I would have like to get a full run, but it still is fun and I didn't break anything. My good 60's were low 1.9, I am sure I could have improved that but I was trying got get a clean run 1st. My runs looked clean on AP in terms of knock.

During tech inspection when I had to test my clutch safety with, my DAM dropped to 0.938. I have never seen my DAM at anything below 1.00 and it I look at it everyday. My 1st run was using 0.938 DAM. I didn't know how to easily get my DAM back to 1 other than leave the track and take it for a cruise. I ended up reloading my MAP, but then I screwed up my LAUNCH control and FFS shifting. (I think I have to adjust those with the engine running) On run I was little shocked to see my start RPM go to 6000rpm on the launch on that run when I was expect it to stop at 4k,I at least recognized its before I over rev'd my motor but it threw me for a loop.

I really liked racing mine too, seems like our cars run the same, 13.70 at 99 mph. I think if I had done the FFS and the launch 2 step it would go faster, but like I said previously , my clutch slipped and I stopped when I did that. Im now on E85 and the boost is at 18 psi with more timing, maybe ill try one more time but be easy on the car, just see how much the mph comes up. I too had a problem shifting, these transmissions just dont seem to be meant to be shifted fast.

Archived