LegacyGT.com

Considering a 2018 Legacy but the Outback seemed quieter

Kmvd

So, my wife and I test drove a 2.5 Legacy down concrete highway today, then drove a 3.5 outback of similar trim, forget the model, it's the one below touring. The outback had less road noise from tires and seemed less wind noise too. Same weather, drove one right after the other down the same highway. Is the outback really a little quieter than the Legacy, or just difference in tread design between the two?

From what I’ve read and seen the Outback tires are a little bigger sidewalk which should be a more comfortable ride. But the Outback has quite a bit more wind noise from the roof rack compared to the Legacy. Did both models have a sun roof? You will absolutely get wind noise through there.

Also the 3.6 is generally quieter in operation compared to the 2.5.

I think they both had sunroof's, but neither were open. It seems like I did notice more engine related noise in the Legacy while test driving the 4 cylinder in both models too.

I'm leaning toward the Legacy as I don't need the wagon, and the wagon is noticeably more expensive than the Legacy.

The Outback and Legacy more or less the same vehicle but the Legacy would have less drag because it sits lower and a sedan should quieter. The front of the vehicle are identical but sounds are a subjective but what you determine maybe just a bias.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

I'd say they though they are very similar vehicles, in the Outback you have larger diameter tires that rotate slightly slower and the occupants are seated higher above the road, so farther away from the tire noise. Differences in the tire's tread pattern might be a factor.

I would guess it's a difference between tires, sidewall compliance, and even a slightly stiffer suspension in the Legacy that transmitted more road noise. If you thought it was noise from the motor, that seems less likely, but possible that the lower ride height has more sound resonating off the pavement below the car.

The H-6 3.6 is a quieter engine than the H-4 2.5. Both engines are fine the 2.5i isn't as smooth or quiet as the 3.6 especially under heavy acceleration. H-4 will get you every where you need to go with less fuel and has no problem keeping with traffic flow. If city driving is your main use the 4 cylinder would-be your best option while on the highway the 6 cylinder does make a fantastic Cruiser. The gas mileage on the highway between the two cruising is nominal since my Leg gets over 30 MPGs the same as my Foz( increase drag).

The gas mileage on the highway between the two cruising is nominal since my Leg gets over 30 MPGs the same as my Foz( increase drag).

Rowlette, are you able to get over 30 MPG with the H-6? I thought the H-6 fuel economy was a lot less.

Rowlette, are you able to get over 30 MPG with the H-6? I thought the H-6 fuel economy was a lot less.
My average is 25.3 MPGs but on Expressways, Turnpike, I95, I75, when 70 mph just cruising for dayvacation or traveling the most I have average was 32.3 MPG mainly highway with the H-6. The trip average to NC been 28.3 MPGs. To put this in prospective I do not floor it or go 80 mph just cruising at highway speed and definitely not trying to win any races. As a crusier the H-6 is lot like my Audi's. The H-6 is terrible for stop and go Traffic but I didn't purchase it for that purpose. Most of my adult life I have been fortunate thank G_d, to have extra vehicles, one for the beach etc., Or around town and a Cruiser.

The fact of the matter the driving the Foz H-4 to NC and the Leg H6 is just about the same if they had an H-6 for the Foz, I wouldn't hesitate buying one.

Archived