LegacyGT.com

Seized throw out bearing

Yesterday I was driving to meet my parents for dinner and my clutch got stuck to the floor and a super gnarly squealing came from my car. Scary for sure but handled it well.

Today at lunch I pulled the air box off and the rubber boot back that's around the lever connected to the clutch cyclinder and confirmed my Throw out bearing is completely seized. Sparks, non-movement... The whole deal.

I've had the car for quite a long time. The entire time the Throw out bearing (TOB) has been squeaking while it wasn't engaged. Since the clutch wasn't slipping I didn't feel an urgent need to replace it.

When Harvey hit Houston I was in New Orleans. I had to drive my poor car through flood waters to get home to San Antonio. Since then, it's gotten progressively worse and my clutch has begun to slip.

Since my throw out bearing is officially seized up I figured I would come to seek some advice for some people who have changed their clutch at home.

Is it typical for the TOB to be squeaky? Does anyone good experience with parts manufacturers that make better parts? I personally have experience with EXEDY from my Honda days and enjoy what they have to offer.

Did you pull the engine or drop the transmission? Also if I'm going to have all of this stuff out is there anything I should look to replace while its out just as preventative maintenance?

I like poly-bushings but I have no desire to put a lightweight flywheel on.

I am also majorly restricted on budget but am willing to do some extra if it means my car will feel better.

Well you probably need a new trans. The TOB definitely wore a bad grove into the snout. No way to say for sure until you pull the engine or trans but it is very likely. It's always easier to pull the engine IMO. There is a lot more maintenance you can do with the engine out also.

Snout repair kits are F*&King garbage. They all make noise and they bearing doesn't last long.

If you wana save money buy a exedy kit but, also buy a OEM TOB and toss the exedy one.

Did you pull the engine or drop the transmission? Also if I'm going to have all of this stuff out is there anything I should look to replace while its out just as preventative maintenance?

I like poly-bushings but I have no desire to put a lightweight flywheel on.

I am also majorly restricted on budget but am willing to do some extra if it means my car will feel better.

Exedy clutches are a pretty good stock replacement, but I agree with Rumble, use a Subaru TOB. I've done a clutch replacement both ways, pulling the motor and dropping the trans. I favor pulling the engine over dropping the transmission because I don't have a transmission jack and balancing a 5MT on a floor jack is a royal pain in the ass, even with my 3 ton large rolling jack.

Advantages of pulling the engine are you can do other preventative maintenance items with ease, like spark plugs, rear main seal, oil separator plate, etc. Removing the engine is stupid simple too. I have a nice easy writeup here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5606438&postcount=25

^second the pulling the motor, with the subarus there is just way to much in the way plus you have to disconnect the front drive axles, and doing that right involves breaking a connection somewhere along the lca, which means youll need an alignment after putting it all back together.

Thanks for the input guys. I Think I have an engine hoist where I work that they will let me use. I've never had to pull just the engine so it's definitely a bit intimidating. But from the way it sounds it preferable. I'll just have to take the leap I guess. The trans feels I knew that when it happened I had to drive home. I'll keep ya'll posted!!! Thanks again.

Archived