LegacyGT.com

What % is Factory Legacy Window Tint

Ovcoursitsilver

Yes, I searched. But I haven't been able to find out the %VLT of the Legacy's windows as they come from the factory. I'm planning on having my windows tinted but I need to stay legal at the minimum 70% on the front side windows. My son has been stopped and ticketed more than once for what the shop told him was legal. The installers here all quote the %VLT of their film but they won't estimate what the total %VLT will be once they instal over the factory windows.

Not sure about your specific car, but for most Subarus it is about 75% VLT, IIRC.

I'm surprised a good tint shop would not have a VLT meter. The best thing is to have them apply a small piece of scrap tint and measure the total VLT with a meter. That way, you would be sure it was within the legal limits.

None of the tint shops around here admitted they had meters. They probably don't want customers finding out they've just installed illegal tints. The Québec government web site describing the window tint laws now lists authorized inspection facilities where ticketed drivers are supposed to have the VLT confirmed. Also where they go after they have corrected their non-conforming windows. Maybe I can go to one of those places and ask them to measure the stock windows.

If the law is 70% minimum, they are pretty much telling you don't apply aftermarket tint - otherwise they can pull you over. If you are doing it for heat rejection and not appearance/privacy, there are a number of products that have decent numbers for heat rejection in the 90% range - 3M crystalline 90 is one, and I imagine there are some ceramic tint films that are in the 80-90% visible light transmission that would work as well.

Archived