2009 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.0D

Eivind

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work buddy, greets from Germany!

I'm also thinking about buying those KW variante 2 coilovers...

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/922/9ao1W1.jpg

can you just tell me how much lowering potenital is there, after you already lowered it (based from the position in the picture above)? Is it possible to "slam" the car extremely like with the BC coilovers?

I know, KW suspension is known for high quality materials and driving comfort, but not for extreme lowering applications... so i'm thinking abot buying a k-sport or BC racing...

Edited by ton G.I.

Thanks. :)

On the picture below, you can see the position of the spring on the front strut. There is still a good amount of lowering available.

I don't have a picture of the rear shock, but it is not bottomed out.

KaAiHC.jpg

Nice work buddy, greets from Germany!

I'm also thinking about buying those KW variante 2 coilovers...

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/922/9ao1W1.jpg

can you just tell me how much lowering potenital is there, after you already lowered it (based from the position in the picture above)? Is it possible to "slam" the car extremely like with the BC coilovers?

I know, KW suspension is known for high quality materials and driving comfort, but not for extreme lowering applications... so i'm thinking abot buying a k-sport or BC racing...

I just paid my set of kw v2 for my 2.5i, i'm nervous until i will install it!

Ton G.I. I think this set is top according to his quality.

Eivind your project is amazing!

Now i'm searching rear bump stop!

Enviat des del meu Redmi Pro usant Tapatalk

That's okay. I prefer the US lights. The EURO facelift lights have too much chrome for my taste.

Often, I feel US guys prefer EURO/JDM parts, and EURO/JDM guys prefer US parts. :p

Also the US lights are very uncommon over here (maybe I'm the only one with them?). However, pre-face cars are delivered with the same lights, but with amber turn signal.

the USDM headlights are really awesome... i have to look for a pair of good ones... but ebay.com only has crap or no pair... there are also 2 different ones: with black inlay and with chrome inlay.

i need that black one...

In Europe, we don't have that orange part in the headlight... an on a black car, it's perfect!

• 3 weeks later...

"Had an appointment with the "Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office" for approval of the KW adjustable coilovers. So now it is printed in my registration card."

Mind explaining for us yankees? Do you have to get any mods approved by the government?

I love the hitch too. I love how it is tucked way under the bumper.

Not digging the white wheels, but I definitely like the style of them. They have a design that screams more "rally me" vs "Im a pretty girl"

I should start collecting taillights from the Junk yard and do a EDM "group buy"

"Had an appointment with the "Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office" for approval of the KW adjustable coilovers. So now it is printed in my registration card."

Mind explaining for us yankees? Do you have to get any mods approved by the government?

Thats correct. Especially when lowering, since it changes the geometry. Need to bring TÜV documentation on the coilovers, and documentation on wheel alignment/tracking after the installation.

Of course, I could give a ****, but if (/when) I get pulled over, they would just send me for a full technical inspection. So better to have it written in the registration card.

Not digging the white wheels, but I definitely like the style of them. They have a design that screams more "rally me" vs "Im a pretty girl"

Well, each to their own I guess. I love these wheels.

I had the same wheels on my previous car, and I just had to get them again. 17 inches last time, 18 inches now.

5dx10u.jpg

wvzoYN.jpg

Edited by Eivind

I was a student at UiT and yeah, I brought my XT there! Even went to the North Cape with it. I recall noticing that the 'local' outbacks looked better than the one I had. The EDM/JDM versions just look better overall. Slicker front and rear ends.

I think our EDM cars are slightly lower, at least what I can see on photos of stock USDM Outbacks, but maybe it's just my perception.

And ofcourse you have that horrible looking roof rails. :D

The second think I don't like on all USDM cars are those orange parts in headlights. I know ton G.I. loves them, but anyway.. :p

Edited by Konns

You're right. Our cars have slightly more ground clearance than you guys. BUT the stock handling is a joke, a real joke :mad:. It took me 9 years to get it right, 9 years!!! BTS kit with Rallitek overload springs combined with some front spacers to keep usdm ride height. And added aftermarket swaybars and stuff.

Also, you guys have more beautiful and higher quality headlights, nicer front and rear bumpers, rear fog light (we don't have any), folding mirrors (we don't), etc... But, we did get the XT. So that's nice. Although you did get the diesel version which is nice too I think in terms of torque and fuel economy.

Oh, good to know!

When it come to handling, I've never had better car then my current 3.0 with LSD. My father owned V. gen white 2.0D Legacy 2012 without "Sport" options and it was good, but you could feel the weight and 16" wheels were just too small for that car. Though the styling was very agressive.

A question for Eivind – where do you live exactly? I would like to stop by when I will be traveling to Norway to visit my friend next year, and I want see your car when it's finished!

I was a student at UiT and yeah, I brought my XT there! Even went to the North Cape with it. I recall noticing that the 'local' outbacks looked better than the one I had. The EDM/JDM versions just look better overall. Slicker front and rear ends.

Thats so cool! How did you ship your Outback over here? :)

You're right. Our cars have slightly more ground clearance than you guys. BUT the stock handling is a joke, a real joke :mad:. It took me 9 years to get it right, 9 years!!! BTS kit with Rallitek overload springs combined with some front spacers to keep usdm ride height. And added aftermarket swaybars and stuff.

Also, you guys have more beautiful and higher quality headlights, nicer front and rear bumpers, rear fog light (we don't have any), folding mirrors (we don't), etc... But, we did get the XT. So that's nice. Although you did get the diesel version which is nice too I think in terms of torque and fuel economy.

Thats true, I would love a XT. But I love my diesel also. :)

We do have the XT version of the Forester. And of course the Impreza WRX and STI.

I have tuned mine to ~190 hp / 420 Nm (thats ~310 lb·ft I guess?).

Oh, good to know!

When it come to handling, I've never had better car then my current 3.0 with LSD. My father owned V. gen white 2.0D Legacy 2012 without "Sport" options and it was good, but you could feel the weight and 16" wheels were just too small for that car. Though the styling was very agressive.

A question for Eivind – where do you live exactly? I would like to stop by when I will be traveling to Norway to visit my friend next year, and I want see your car when it's finished!

I live about 1,5 hour drive from Ålesund / Aalesund. :)

Thats so cool! How did you ship your Outback over here? :)

Thats true, I would love a XT. But I love my diesel also. :)

We do have the XT version of the Forester. And of course the Impreza WRX and STI.

I have tuned mine to ~190 hp / 420 Nm (thats ~310 lb·ft I guess?).

Went on a ship from the west coast to Oslo. Then it went on a train from Oslo to some city, then truck from that city to Tromsø IIRC! Crazy. It took three months total. School helped pay for the move. And the car is back with me now :spin:

I think the Diesel is the better choice for Norway though. You have plenty of low end torque to pass cars if needed. And fuel economy is definitely a plus knowing high pricey fuel is over there.

You should post a quick video/sound clip of your ride. I'd like to hear it.

Went on a ship from the west coast to Oslo. Then it went on a train from Oslo to some city, then truck from that city to Tromsø IIRC! Crazy. It took three months total. School helped pay for the move. And the car is back with me now :spin:

I think the Diesel is the better choice for Norway though. You have plenty of low end torque to pass cars if needed. And fuel economy is definitely a plus knowing high pricey fuel is over there.

You should post a quick video/sound clip of your ride. I'd like to hear it.

Hah, thats crazy. Did you manage to ship it both back and forth without any transportation damages?

Yeah, I'll see if I can make a video some day. :)

Yeah. The shipping was just fine. Except when the customs here checked my car and made a mess in the trunk: I had a bottle of transmission oil and the thing got spilled all over. It stunk so bad for a while. Other than that, no issue at all.

Yes, 18x9" ET30. Going to fit them with Toyo Proxes 235/40-18s.

And yes, I will have to trim the plastic fender flare, and roll the inner metal fender.

Like this (picture credit unknown, but I found it here on the forum) :

zBfjB2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This weekend was spent in the garage, upgrading the speakers in the Subaru. On saturday, both doors were sound deadened and I also got the woofers mounted.

On sunday I mounted the tweeters and wired it up.

aGU6uJ.jpg

Purchased what I needed, like speaker adapter rings, door dampening kit, extra mats and cables.

gEaDBZ.jpg

Lets go!

ue6CUH.jpg

First, I sound deadened the whole inside of the door with alubutyl insulation mats, and after that a layer of waterproof polyurethane sound absorbing mats.

Z4Oyf7.jpg

I also replaced the OEM plastic film with alubutyl mats. The point is to make the door as tight and dead as possible, for it to better function as a speaker enclosure.

sa1s6S.jpg

The last step was sound absorbing polyurethane on the backside of the door card.

UZ8028.jpg

And more of the same on the opposite side..

QSgZ2G.jpg

Bk4S8k.jpg

Tweeters mounted on the A-pillar cover up on the dash.

WtYd4e.jpg

Here is an old picture of my sub. I found an enclosure actually made for the wheel well of an Audi Q7, but based on its dimensions, I figured it would fit in the Outback as well. Sealed enclosure, 38 liters volume, for a 12" element. I actually managed to fit the sub, mono-amp, 2ch amp, extra battery, detachable tow bar, and the mandatory warning triangle (in Norway anyway) inside the spare tire wheel well. This way everything is stowed away, and I have the whole boot at my disposal. I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of deep bass I still get with everything hidden as well as this.

0Hqrm5.jpg

So after a thorough adjustment its time to enjoy! :)

XWNjYk.jpg