LegacyGT.com

Scratched paint

powbmps

Like a dumbass I left my gas cap off and drove like that for a couple of hours on the highway. Of course the cap is tethered so I didn't lose it, but my paint was scuffed up pretty good. I circled the area in this photo. I tried a little 3M swirl remover and some wax on top of it. Does anyone have any advice on how to fix it?

Thanks alot,

Chris S.

(I never got a CEL without the cap on.)

239622898_Scratch001.jpg.e0d2388412734eb13625f43d1007a28a.jpg

That's not a scratch, those are just plastic rub marks. They'll come right out. I would try bug and tar remover if you have it or just wax and rub it in good. I have some 3M superfine rubbing compound I've used before with good results. Be careful with rubbing compound though or you'll end up with a dull spot if you use the wrong product.

At the end of the day a scratch like that is just a PITA because u know its there and how u got it. Just try a few products, see how you go. Even some colour wax from turtle wax may work. Only other suggestion if nothing works is go to a body repairer and see if they have any ideas, but Im sure any idea they have is going to hit the BLING BLING department!

Yeah I know it TOTALLY sucks Chris, dont worry in one way shape or form, we all have done something like that, so we know how u feel. And girls mate, let me tell you, if its a thread on their skirt they notice it, oooh cant go anywhere till I fix that she says, hmmm and they wonder where WE get it from LOL....

[quote name='Th3Franz'][quote name='deepershadeofp']stick one of those big fake aluminum gas cap stickers over it and leave it be.[/quote] Maybe it could read, "<93 (octane), no admittance"[/quote] How about..."Replace Gas Cap When Done Filling". Sorry...couldn't resist.

I am sure it will come off, At least most of it till it wouldn't be noticeable. We understand how it feels particularly when something that is avoidable. I remember once I filled up at a "full service" gas station, the service guy used the tip of the nozzle to close the fuel door after filling up (I noticed a long stratch only latter). Now I always fill up myself. In your case [b]you may consider the other way around[/b] :lol: :lol:

Archived