LegacyGT.com

Subaru’s Canadian-Spec Outback and Legacy are Here; Where’s the 6-Speed Manual?

lagacyforce

The Canadian-spec 2018 Subaru Outback and Legacy models have arrived but the 6-speed gearbox is missing. Would you buy a manual transmission if it were still offered?

The manual transmission is going away in the Outback wagon and Legacy sedan models. Subaru Canada is dropping the 6-speed gearbox in the new 2018 Outback and Legacy sedan and it’s not coming back. Subaru went away from the manual rower in U.S. models in 2015, but you could still get one in Canada until now.

Why is Subaru and other automakers dropping the manual gearbox?

It’s likely because of tighter fuel mileage regulations in the U.S. and Canada. Subaru dropped the 6-speed standard gearbox back in 2015 to meet the more stringent fuel-mileage regulations here in the U.S. market. Subaru Outbacks and Legacy models with the new Lineartronic continuously variable transmission (CVT) are more fuel efficient.

The Canadian and U.S. Subaru Forester SUV is still available with a 6-speed manual transmission in the 2.5i and 2.5i Premium trims, but the CVT is much more fuel-efficient. The Subaru Forester with a 6-speed manual gearbox gets an EPA estimated 22/28 city/highway mpg, and it gets improved considerably at 26/32/ city/highway mpg with the CVT automatic. All automakers need to get their fleet mpg up and this is how they can do it.

Reprinted from TorqueNews

People aren't buying mid size family cars with manuals anymore... it's trended this way for almost 20 years. Shame too. But guess what? In 10 years we will be complaining that you can't buy a car with an internal combustion engine anymore!!:eek:

If I was 10 years younger, I'd be all over a new Civic Sport hatchback with the turbo manual. Sounds like so much fun, and replicates all the great times I had in my old manual Civics and Integras. Just with waaay more torque.

Anyone who knows anything about vehicles knows that you can get better mileage out of a manual transmission. The demand for the legacy and outback in a MT just isn't there. We still build imprezas in a 5 speed and ship them to canada and all over the US so don't give me the tighter regulations crap either!

Given the right driver it's hard to beat a manual gearbox. Most automatic gearboxes lacks the ability to predict if it's necessary to downshift or not, they just do it.

But CVT gearboxes are sometimes better than manual boxes and sometimes worse. The big problem is that automatic gearboxes are tuned for certain driving patterns and as soon as you leave that pattern fuel consumption is off. The most fuel efficient speed you can have is around 45 to 50mph, above that the aerodynamic drag takes over, below that the automatic gearboxes downshifts to give the driver a good throttle response. But the engine can actually cope with "driving on the torque" pretty well, which you can do with a manual box but can't do with an automatic.

That said - the current car I have has a CVT gearbox with the and mode, but I lack a mode that's optimized for fuel economy and don't care about performance until I really floor it.

453747.png

Anyone who knows anything about vehicles knows that you can get better mileage out of a manual transmission. The demand for the legacy and outback in a MT just isn't there. We still build imprezas in a 5 speed and ship them to canada and all over the US so don't give me the tighter regulations crap either!

Well - given the same set of conditions, the CVT gets better MPG, and in the US, that's helps them meet the CAFE requirements. I would bet they sold very few manuals in the Legacy and Outback, hence the cost to keep them around is higher, too. (more stuff to have on hand for the manufacturing floor, more piece parts for the interior, etc.) - it stinks, but manuals are going away in most applications. (it will be a sad day for me when I have to move to a vehicle after my LGT if I can't get a manual... at least the WRX and STi are holdouts!

Ah, the manual vs automatic debate; my humble opinion is that the manual encourages and facilitates a much closer involvement in the driving experience but no, it's not likely to be faster than a good automatic in the hands of most drivers. My roadster will alway be a manual but my daily driver (Subaru Legacy) will be an automatic. But it's a sad day when the car of your choice is no longer offered with a third pedal.

At the risk of hijacking the thread - apologies in advance - something else we've lost in Canada with the 2018 models is a Sport or Limited trim level without EyeSight. You have to get the base or Touring (US Premium) to buy a new Legacy without the cameras. It's the way of the future; automatic CVTs and complex control systems.

Legacy-Canada-Lineup-2018.thumb.jpg.4e755c03a0146640c7969696a44f2fc0.jpg

Legacy-US-Lineup-2018.thumb.jpg.38db6c43e8b4ccdee6fae03f7db4d445.jpg

EyeSight. EyeSight is a big reason that manuals are being phased out by Subaru. It doesn't currently work with manual transmission cars, and I doubt Subaru will ever offer it with a manual transmission car. Subaru is looking to offer EyeSight as standard by 2022, and the US Department of Transportation is trying to make auto-braking mandatory by 2025 Subaru pledged that they would have it 3 years sooner than the mandate. I know Subaru is currently offering manuals on the Impreza/Crosstrek/Forester still, but who knows for how much longer. What that means for the upcoming 2020+ WRX/STI still offering manuals is unknown. I hope I'm wrong, but I have a deep down dread that Subaru will kill off the manual in all their cars by 2022 if not sooner.

EyeSight. EyeSight is a big reason that manuals are being phased out by Subaru. It doesn't currently work with manual transmission cars, and I doubt Subaru will ever offer it with a manual transmission car. Subaru is looking to offer EyeSight as standard by 2022, and the US Department of Transportation is trying to make auto-braking mandatory by 2025 Subaru pledged that they would have it 3 years sooner than the mandate. I know Subaru is currently offering manuals on the Impreza/Crosstrek/Forester still, but who knows for how much longer. What that means for the upcoming 2020+ WRX/STI still offering manuals is unknown. I hope I'm wrong, but I have a deep down dread that Subaru will kill off the manual in all their cars by 2022 if not sooner.

Interesting since I don't see how you can offer automatic braking in a manual.

You can, but you may need to also have a robotized clutch.

Nothing is impossible, but some things are more complicated than other. So the manual gearbox might be as expensive as the CVT.

453747.png

I suspect that the system would just cut fuel delivery and stall the motor if offered with a manual transmission. Not "ideal" but if it's only an emergency system, it's better than rear-ending another vehicle, or hitting a pedestrian.

Subaru is looking to offer EyeSight as standard by 2022, and the US Department of Transportation is trying to make auto-braking mandatory by 2025 Subaru pledged that they would have it 3 years sooner than the mandate.

If you read through this press release it says

Subaru announced today that Automatic Emergency Braking will be standard on nearly all new models sold in the United States by 2022.

http://media.subaru.com/pressrelease/930/1/subaru-make-automatic-emergency-braking-standard-feature-2022

The key is nearly which I am hoping mean they keep at least the WRX/STI and why I think their will never be another MT Legacy GT.

I know Subaru is currently offering manuals on the Impreza/Crosstrek/Forester still, but who knows for how much longer. What that means for the upcoming 2020+ WRX/STI still offering manuals is unknown. I hope I'm wrong, but I have a deep down dread that Subaru will kill off the manual in all their cars by 2022 if not sooner.

According to the project manager at Subaru, the WRX/STI 6MT are safe for the release of the next generation.

The 2020 Subaru WRX and WRX STI will retain their manual option.

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2017/6/27/The-2020-Subaru-WRX-And-WRX-STI-Will-Keep-Their-Manuals-7739856/

You can, but you may need to also have a robotized clutch.

Nothing is impossible, but some things are more complicated than other. So the manual gearbox might be as expensive as the CVT.

I suspect that the system would just cut fuel delivery and stall the motor if offered with a manual transmission. Not "ideal" but if it's only an emergency system, it's better than rear-ending another vehicle, or hitting a pedestrian.

I wasn't real clear. I know it can be done, just for the low sales numbers, not worth the development costs.

• 5 months later...

Archived