LegacyGT.com

Pushing the build... for posterity but not 56k

sleepydave

Still piggybacking on the stocker. I will definitely check that out thanks! Did not realize btssm had that functionality!

Mostly budget. So ill run open till I crack a sleeve :knock on wood:

This is a diy/budget friendly project for the most part.

Ideally Id be closed deck or pinned at least, 14mm head studs, 6spd, and with a 75+mm turbo, top feed 1600s, and more suspension mods. :p

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then, do get that app. You will definitely love it and be thankful you have it. You just need a tablet setup or an android phone. Below is my current gauge set up. You can set up alarms for multiple things (e.g. beep at a certain rpm, beep when it knocks, beep when coolant temp reaches a certain range,etc..).

You can also pull LVs on the fly and log by hitting the defrost button. I LOVE that thing. Been using this on both of my cars for 3.5 years now.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=262199&d=1519186754

Yeah that's one of the drawbacks. I know you just hacked your cubby but you could always look into a permanent tablet install. I have a nexus 7 installed there and I use a vagcom cable for the app.

Something like this: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/jdm-dash-w-nexus-7-265112.html?t=265112&highlight=nexus

Got quite a bit done yesterday!

-abs relocated (today I relocate the upper reservoir and the ps reservoir)

-intercooler piping completely mocked up (have to get everything cleaned, deburred, and a few pieces welded to lessen the couplers used)

-got my intake semi mocked up (not the final)

-iat sensor bunged and wired

-hood closed!

-piece of downpipe mounted and checked for clearance (so I can drive to the exhaust shop to combine with my old downpipe.

-have to figure out slight overflow relocation

-have to get that godforsaken snap ring from hell back on the turbo

-clean up some things (bumper trim spots, etc)

-got my wastegate actuator cut, threaded down, and somewhat mounted. (going to use a helper spring to effectively decrease spring rate for break in)

-bought a battery, coolant, and oil for my 3 upcoming changes

She is close!

8E7F6EDD-D180-41B8-A4A3-2E016199EB5B.thumb.JPG.358bc2bb6308b41510109b2b25aa2ac0.JPG

648E6247-8422-426B-9F0C-97E9B35C1103.thumb.JPG.a9bb6d07672ca25705a2a2a38d133ffc.JPG

0917F59D-3FA0-49BF-88E6-1DF5DD03983E.thumb.JPG.dab8231132442544d028cc889db73636.JPG

1285C3E3-0244-42E7-8A2C-A3BE116C58E3.thumb.JPG.1681a7a60604830e7a053d940e705bea.JPG

D6D1C2FA-A4A6-4911-9F7B-2622552FFAFA.thumb.JPG.bf599f83f094ae0eae3aba290414bd6d.JPG

E8BA710B-B5F4-4CB3-9F2F-41EBB69BBDFB.thumb.JPG.6f2035eac939e16ded0419b1542206e6.JPG

what did it cost overall to go brotated? what did you need to reroute?

possibly thinking about going rotated but not sure if its really worth it.

Well, I'm in it for less turbowise than most, but because of that, I have had to modify more. So my case isn't exactly what you should base it off of, haha.

Minus the turbo but including :

oil drain setup ($14)

downpipe modifications (~$200 I am guessing once all is said and done)

relocation of abs (free)

relocation of power steering reservoir ($7 for line)

upper reservoir relocation ($16 for line and adapters)

turbo coolant bypass ($3)

intake (4" coupler, 4" aluminum 45*, very large filter) ($100)

fmic core used ($60)

fmic universal piping kit ($80)

2.75" to 2.5" silicone elbow ($7)

adapter plate ($180)

I'm in it about $700 if you include dremel cutoff discs, and assorted odds and ends (new bolts for a few things).

Include the turbo and I'd wager I'm at $950 for a front mount intercooled, rotated setup.

Well, I'm in it for less turbowise than most, but because of that, I have had to modify more. So my case isn't exactly what you should base it off of, haha.

Minus the turbo but including :

oil drain setup ($14)

downpipe modifications (~$200 I am guessing once all is said and done)

relocation of abs (free)

relocation of power steering reservoir ($7 for line)

upper reservoir relocation ($16 for line and adapters)

turbo coolant bypass ($3)

intake (4" coupler, 4" aluminum 45*, very large filter) ($100)

fmic core used ($60)

fmic universal piping kit ($80)

2.75" to 2.5" silicone elbow ($7)

adapter plate ($180)

I'm in it about $700 if you include dremel cutoff discs, and assorted odds and ends (new bolts for a few things).

Include the turbo and I'd wager I'm at $950 for a front mount intercooled, rotated setup.

hmm not bad. but as you said its a home built kit. If i wanted to switch it up id need new ic piping, intake, uppipe and dp. not terrible in the grand scheme.

its a home built kit.

That's where the fun is! :)

It's really not all that customized, but it is, er, catered to. Really the only "custom" work is the iwg mods (negated by going external) and the downpipe modifications.

In the end, I'm happy to be ~30% cheaper than Perrin charges for intake/uppipe/downpipe, and I essentially have that plus fmic and a 60mm turbo.

:woowoo:

Will have more pictures tomorrow. So this is more for me than you guys :p

But the following is now done :

-coolant reservoir relocated and plumbed

-fmic piping finalized, deburred and bench sanded, fitted, and clamped. along with methanol bung tapped. (still need to leak test the tract though, but need to make a new tester as my old one is 3".)

-bumper is trimmed up (awaiting a honeycomb grill to hack up and use behind foglight ports)

-hood still closes :)

-loads of loose plugs plugged accordingly

-battery situated

still need to :

-charge leak test

-paint one charge pipe

-paint relocation brackets

-clean up wires

-heatwrap many things (blanket material comes in today)

-put the pitch stop in

-new alt-s fuse needs to go in

-pcv setup is like 50% done. still need to run head breathers and drill my catch can for equalizer tie in and 3/4" crankcase breather

-did the math for an overflow tank (needed 1.44quarts total capacity at minimum), and will be modifying a 1.5quart tank to fit (awaiting shipping)

-have one line left for the methanol to plumb

-oil filter, oil, and coolant; along with subsequent prime, leak check, prime some more.

-flash my sd map I have been working on

-plumb my wideband into the half downpipe (henceforth known as halfpipe), will need to extend wires

-flip my fmic connection couplers 90* or so (right now, they show a little too much threaded rod through the bumper opening for my taste)

-plug in my engine harness

-intake filtration (awaiting shipping)

-adjust afr window for failsafes

-test fire and adjust afr's temporarily (will need to readjust after warm, then I can tackle coolant temp compensation)

and I think that's actually it for the moment. Future things once running include :

-knocksense wiring

-15psi switched boost-a-pump

-walboro 450

-build a better intake manifold (short runner, large plenum, 70+mm throttle body (not aftermarket on the tb, just a different manufacturer. may use the rx8 body and port it)

-aeromotive regulator and ~60psi base

-blast plates (found a set I'm willing to pay the asking price on) or 6spd if my 5spd is hurting bad

-dialing in the tune and renting some dyno time after street tuning

Unfortunately my phone died last night. However, she is running and alive!

Long story short, I had a slight mishap after priming the system on Saturday and discovering a fairly large oil leak. Monday, got the hoist rented again, pulled her, removed the drivers head, got everything buttoned back up, and back in last night after work. This is what I saw Saturday while priming :

https://youtu.be/rSt-Rqv4STo

She appears to be leak free now, and she fired right up last night after fuel and oil priming, however she is loud as hell right now. My exhaust is essentially a foot of downpipe. I made an appointment for Saturday to get the connection to the catback fabbed up. Coolant overflow is situated and mounted.

Things on the still need to do list :

-charge leak test

-clean up wires

-heatwrap more things (had to remove the bits surrounding harness plugs for the engine removal on Monday)

-pcv setup is like 70% done. still need to drill and mount my catch can for equalizer tie in and 3/4" crankcase breather

-have one line left for the methanol to plumb

-plumb my wideband into the half downpipe (henceforth known as halfpipe), will need to extend wires

-intake filtration (awaiting shipping, pipe arrives tomorrow, coupler Friday, I hope)

-bleed coolant, along with 30 minute runtime before first oil change.

-adjust afr window for failsafes

-adjust afr's temporarily (will need to readjust after warm, then I can tackle coolant temp compensation)

-refit bumper and splash shields

-boost controller and finish wastegate bracketing

-bead a couple charge pipes that I am certain will need it (I can pull them out by hand with force when clamped fully)

-finally take her off jack stands!

It was great to finally hear her run, but it was late so I shut her down quickly. Also, had a slight panic moment as I saw smoke roll out from the underside. Turns out it was my greasy handprints on the header burning off.

Will have footage in the next day or so, but may not be able to get to her until tomorrow after work.

It's all little stuff now I hope. Psyched to get street tuning, but this damn snow needs to relax first.

Technically second start. Tackling little issues, cam position sensor had a tiny leak on drivers side, getting vac leaks taken care of, still havent mounted my catch can (hence a lot of lines laying about), no wastegate attached (vacuum or flapper), etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK54fYRBnzc

And a few little growls once she got a bit more settled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V9W33KxYTo

*If anyone can shed some light on embedding youtube videos, I am all ears. I have auto parse and auto embed checked, I tried youtube tags, sharable links, media tags, googling bbcode, etc. No dice.

Woo! Made it to the exhaust shop! 18miles. Ill have more media to post today.

Fun fact, if you think your car is loud. Drive around with open downpipe for a day or two. My ears are ready for any muffling haha

She is aching to let loose!

CEL is for boost controller which is not hooked up yet. This is still with no actuator and an open flapper. This is also with my new 3" rotated downpipe and no more than 50% throttle roughly. Total mileage for this motor is on the tripodometer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hajMIrB22Ak

Xrzck8c-d0Q4GPWEaDdEF-Xf1AlGZz2-wFDzDNoei538Otpn_dgQHeMn6-Uj_0a7bwUiPD7-ucyDo11sQbJpgphSnGE983993MhXv5EkIY8P4aLEtWxVQx-NOCPcFgECa9g0w_-L1u9pSjGJ74KtlB5nYE4I2VMxoTOzQlOJL88iajv90nF2RvSR7TZaxcsmBYmPHzwTxRg-x4PHuhAICzvJlYYCD2Vy-xmPbuGc4mBqQSfChMbgL_FYqEiT7CQ5eyX8IT5QOQ7QoE7gik_h9Zd-DfP-0Qj1POpBhLnsVMFCTy4_j1bjJOd3XVfeeoMwPqghoUr8CVeZ16MWx0Gzk4zUu35t8ZKkMpNi9CQjhU5nrP2UXrbv9CAyQJvbscOdc81y5ygHaoifb0paCP9qkV-R9SnEampQh5Xu8ZoQQk4mc6ni17gcqv06DN5Qo4MVygdUzSYTERUvjZYGURhANkkQxzbi-IbrmGtGRGo2kBYTsFP6O7qeY2vph6m2DzfZ-VYnTfcEHUGHoXIPgTDqW_aL34qnmM7S97c89aXjA1xW910J5BYdmt28Mra6kE8iNwXndz4KIcDG1CA8hkYs94ATlh4BX4Z9xnDV964-iS3WWW_gEoePNXc0PKK7WnXx4USoITAtUprhi8KGF9kJr8QyabOjzu_e=w939-h704-no

Knux66kjMqgnJurdr51kUE6228-GlFqHjM7NPNF9Jj-Dk6m_N9z2Q0UgQxmVSfUPqJOenLgi0X0ybGV2_5vxJw4EfnqjsxJ_RrrsHmHGHj2ZnNUw_uxCsYWD6P0r-nHEe5XGGoSxmTF3Y80oyBaSH8H0H0ErpFGp4KbpMGsKi7u1U7QkQLxTNdqCu9eteQQARaOxTkNFMvYUnUnBneqJmqsLZwwolVSOVlG76jO2OxhwPw_7HnElWGZtJtkXS4chdG--v4XNI9avL3-QE0dIuqldgQrDRJDseTZLSKEP9UW45MC4Kd0Nj71_iNBhIek80KXpdyvXPK2a8XNz64AqlM9-jyCnw3wS0IYsdsnfN3FQDc4RVjPY7i9C2lmGTSxXyDd23eWzC-sWyqULEH10FnVgg1dsJ0t6ZCKycyfpaYf0wOqSdchKs8tvqoC3jUsjSnqwHc5p0c7IGr_ZZEzFxE33gv8uBKo21zNGcdv-f2T7jqKQzwOi6du0PRrDP-1mIYEvK7rzet0-nyN7iQYBkDw2u4qgG8VTvaFDdPesaTYvde3LIQ9FRtteMo6IHr7aM3LSiaGCaHnRL-u6lr9O-fSFUFLhPW0XbOHpcpTmNHhJX9qC9Iz_Wr_YG86yz2xTCBXPQVlkjvlcW1cwpFAuh0fzqoB2bTX0=w939-h704-no

*site kept failing upload :( if you cannot see the two pictures, please let me know.

Why did you relocate the coolant overflow tank (the one close to the radiator)?

My charge piping pushed the other one up just enough to not fit in any of its bracketry anymore. I could either notch some metal or relocate, and I chose the latter. It was a total of $9 to get the hose, mounting hardware, and a new bottle.

I can also use the area to better mount my methanol pump now that the space if freer. Currently it is mounted to the outside of the washer fluid tank.

Welp, i broke a nipple off the coolant reservoir. Saw the price to replace and decided just to eliminate her. She's gone now. had no bleed issues after either. Also uv dye kits are awesome for oil leak hunting. Drivers side avcs bolt leaking behind the timing cover. Fixing that during todays squall, and inspection come Thursday!

Still have to wrap exhaust and finish pcv tank, but the list is shrinking daily!

Woo! All legal (and already covered in dirt and salt, but fear not, she is undercoated routinely) and ready for finalizing breakin and street tuning! Then to the dyno to see if I meet my goals or not.

4 port catch can's first iteration is done and will be installed today!

going to wire up a few things fuel pump wise over the weekend (as well as my knock sense). logs are showing 10.8 psi by 3800rpm at 72% throttle in 3rd gear (with a helper spring that starts to crack the gate at ~8psi). I have not done any wot yet. I can be in positive pressure at 2k in 5th, 2400 in 4th, and 2800in 3rd with the 16cm holset housing.

IMG_2628.thumb.JPG.cfdfa3845b55ab5f32c85d3f9c107e97.JPG

Finally got around to doing a pressure test (and finally found my little tester). my only two leaks seemed to be one coupler and my methanol nozzle. so fixing those now, along with soldering in a weatherproof fuse for the meth pump and trying to decipher my newfound avcs issue.

My right and left are not as close as id like them to be. for a momentary second there is up to a 7 degree split. then they catch up. going to clean and swap my ocvs to troubleshoot.

did more logging and street tuning. actually scared myself in second gear. and have since decided this is the build that gets me away from doing a majority of street tuning followed by dyno cleanup. this will be the other way around with street tuning just to cleanup.

will end up going external wastegate as well. she goes from 10 to 20 psi in 350rpm at ~85% throttle. And thats with the helper spring. I fear she'll hit 40+ by redline at wot if I stay internal. Lesson learned. Even hogged out, holsets just do not regulate well enough to stay internal on a 4 banger imho.

i think thats about all ive got for today diary.

oh and my cheap japanese volkswagon honeycomb arrived. That's going in my bumper vents tomorrow.

gUDQMEOiweOMZ5o1VHoC0Ura7Bylw9nWtelecT2kQ-WLWKt5Il99jSEKwuK4m0PO0w64fBKAuqHAxqDBfjK9qoDrBmK3_O7nAMh9YF0c91DhcPoftsZFgohxTyJZ9vT2dbKceM9sANZd2g9EdPU00GT0vrmY2LKBVaDM2-PQfCC_-OuehoRfNBrBjj0Q8OIMwh-nFRbZPWj6yDhm-Q0Sk6ICgE6cNS1_ZvTKsKKyV0uyFI7NPRzKc75hLrNHqfigs-r7Z-FssaQhs-qGMGbC7FvDZRZhYrHirEPieP-AoZ9z4hFhGsK2HmvUAYjx5fxI_yJd8Txu4AZsgHCb42VoDanhZC8QavB0EF6MJ1C1qTAk1UvvyPTXOTXV2q16dzDHe0G69y37BFGMYb2ndTqzHKlrNY5LZ8LsKe6ZA61IlvOFWa4vgiQOWMaMQJgtDCXYtfxdeN-o2i3iZmRfzUiqWrg8L_kKxL5NXlK0oxvqKVOQ4ex8CbxGyBLf3K-RkmfmDrtOU4t-1CYzPocY5_GkeFy6YVBhC2fXTyGnOcKNQpGovORGrS4MPH2GPA5sR82wF7yuCJZPvvDAaq8QFZIizpLoqWaesdwvSIkVXHk=w939-h704-no

BwN63VLyNUJ6GJEZ2

IMG_2629.thumb.JPG.3de271a65ddd51d58c5bf591914a5281.JPG

Archived