LegacyGT.com

Official Lowered Outback Thread V2

GTEASER

Something else to just be aware of - you will get tire rub. I went down to Legacy GT height and one tire rubbed. Nothing else did, but occasionally one of my tires rubbed. I had many alignments and it was always that one tire.

If you load up the back with people+ gear your rear wheels will occasionally rub. I settled on + 1 inch front and +1.5 inches rear from Legacy GT height to still use my outback as an outback (stiffer springs would have worked also).

Rebourne also used his as an Outback - but I think he went to smaller OD tires.

Oh, if you have not already found this in your research, the OBs have the exact same inner fender liners and fenders as a Legacy (I type LGT for short, but same for all 4th gen Legacies), yet the OBs have a taller diameter tire.

I had mine fenders rolled when i got the Tein springs and Koni's down to below LGT height. Then I had it rolled again (MOAR!) when i went to 245s. It always found a place to rub, but only at extreme angles, which meant I had found the right tire size ;-)

When I briefly ran LGT diameter tires, all was good. https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5223264&postcount=30

• 1 month later...
Oh, if you have not already found this in your research, the OBs have the exact same inner fender liners and fenders as a Legacyhttps://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5223264&postcount=30

I didn't find this to be the case, the 05 OB had a different mudguard position when I went to Pick'n'Pull to grab a front fender to replace my 05 LGT fender liner.

• 3 months later...

The V1 and V2 threads have been tremendously helpful that I very much love my n'used OBXT - but it needs some lowering. I'm looking for stock LGT height that will hold up some weight when I plan to actually use the Outback. No towing, just hauling stuff - so definitely don't want a setup in the rear that will sag.

With that said, I'd like to go with Bilstein B6 struts/shocks for front and rear. Looks like I'll need the Spec.b hats for fitment and adjustable control arms to dial everything in.

Looking for spring and spacer recommendations. Photos would also be a bonus! Again, looking for close to stock LGT height as I'd like to run an 18" with meaty tires.

King rear springs?

https://get-primitive.com/springs/550-king-springs-2005-2009-outback-standard-height-rear-only.html?search_query=springs&results=11

hrmm... i don't see LGT height King springs with their stiffer rate.

I think you're going to find stiffer rear springs with dedicated coil overs. Definitely don't go with Tien H-tech. I had major rear sag with those when loaded up for trips, or even just costco.

King rear springs?

https://get-primitive.com/springs/550-king-springs-2005-2009-outback-standard-height-rear-only.html?search_query=springs&results=11

hrmm... i don't see LGT height King springs with their stiffer rate.

I think you're going to find stiffer rear springs with dedicated coil overs. Definitely don't go with Tien H-tech. I had major rear sag with those when loaded up for trips, or even just costco.

I'll give Primitive a call to see if they have anything.

Something I'm now trying to figure out is if the USDM (aftermarket) Bilstein B6 have a similar higher spring perch as do the JDM Bilsteins... Bilstein's catalog calls out the need for Spec.b hats for both front and rear. Anyone know?

• 2 weeks later...

These cars on their stock suspension look pretty high from outside, but once you're driving, they feel quiet low to the ground.

Can't imagine with a lowered suspension 1"-2" reducing the fender gap they must feel really really low.

I'm used to my older Forester which sat a bit higher..

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...