LegacyGT.com

Looking for advice on what to do next

Hi all,

I am having a pretty bad misfire on cyl# 2. Engine has 108,000 miles.

Here is what I have done recently:

• Leakdown test 8-24-17
    1 20%
    2 17%
    3 17%
    4 15%

• New non OEM ignition coils (Last fall)

• Had the injectors cleaned and flow tested (Last fall)

• Replaced intake manifold gaskets and TGV delete (Last fall)

During the winter I had a misfire on cyl#4, so I switched plugs, then ignition coils, and finally injectors from 2 to 4. I switched items when I detected a misfire, but I never got a misfire after I switched injectors until just recently. The engine was much jerkier than before, and I detected 30 knocks in cyl#2 just at idle with the AC on.

So, I'm leaning towards faulty injector. I am going to switch them again and see what happens. If you have any other insight please let me know! Thanks, and I appreciate all of the help I've had from this forum from just lurking.

I think 3 of those numbers are out of spec ?

Did you do a compression test ?

do you have the service manual,

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up replacing all of the aftermarket coils with OEM after replacing the misfiring coil with an oem one. I haven't had a check engine light come back yet.

I still have some stumble at idle and around 2500. I'm going to change the vacuum source for the fpr from the #4 intake runner to the bov, but I can't find a good tee so I'm going to get a turkeylord tee.

So #2 is now free of misfires then. That's good.

So I hope it is not what I am thinking it is (broken ringland). With a slightly cracked ringland, compression is lower when the engine is cold, which would easily throw misfires. But when the engine warms up, the rings expand a bit, thereby 'closing the cracks' and increasing compression back. And that will stop throwing misfires.

You have done a warm leakdown test already. Although pretty high, your numbers were fairly consistent across all cylinders. So this *may* rule out valve clearance issues. Note the emphasis on 'may'!

So at this point (assuming you have indeed checked spark plug/injector/coil pack), I would still check the valve clearance and probably check the cylinder walls for scoring with a borescope.

Finally, fwiw, I suffered from the same issue on cylinder 2. I also did a (cold) leakdown test and results came out great (5%!!). Spark plug/injector/coil pack were fine. So I began to convince myself that my rings were shot. Yet, I decided one morning to check the valve clearance. And one exhaust valve had zero clearance! After the fix, all good.

• 3 months later...

Archived