LegacyGT.com

Very high a/f learning 1

Lgt005

Stock tune calls fro 20* of AVCS at 1.20g/rev and 700-1600rpm. With 15* around those ranges. It's hard to hit but doable.
Yes that's about when I saw the 20°. It was from a red light on Route 1.... I did my oil change yesterday and there might be a header leak. I will check it out later on this weekend. Are there any other tips from you fine fellows?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't gotten to exhaust leak yet.

Regarding my possible fuel problem.. I started to watch my fuel pump duty cycle, injector m/s, and injector duty cycle.

Anyone know what the correct #'s for these three fields with a stock tune?

So after a couple tanks of 93 Gulf octane, she jumped up to 1.000

so i did some logging, and its looking good in terms of timing and fine knock? (noob in training)

first one is me in stop and go traffic. you can see my fuel learn spike when i slow down and especially when i press on the brake.

https://datazap.me/u/volta55/0875-1000?log=0&data=1-17

the second is a "crowded" on-ramp.. no WOT, but a good amount of boost and throttle plate %

https://datazap.me/u/volta55/crowded-onramp-25?log=0&data=1-5-6-7-17

fairfield country is fukking shite with traffic in the evening.

dnI0Qy8.png

I do have a slight exhaust leak ( sounds like it is pre-turbo )

out of curiousity.. can my 5EAT be causing some of my problems? it shifts a tad rough when the block is cold/ warming up.. and i could swear sometimes it drives differently/ shifts differently when i drive Sport D mode for a couple days, then switch to normal Drive. sometimes its a slug when in normal D mode.

The 5EAT can certainly be contributing, th TCU<->ECU interactions are not well understood, short of a few tables and dabbles in TCU table definitions, re-engineering.

I dont have time to review or analyze the logs, plus tired of doing so but...

Based on the LV alone I'd say

a. you're still running fairly lean and/or have a bunch of post-MAF leaks . If you have any type of aftermarket intake, consider rescaling your MAF, especially in the CL AF Learn ranges. If not, then re-check and maybe replace all the couplers and clamps.

b. the ECU hasnt had time to fill in the Timing Learn table yet after RC returned your IAM to 1.0 most recently. Give it more time and see you register any FLKC in upcoming logs (at what RPM, Load, MAFv, build a trend and overlay with your combined timing tables).

Reset the TCU via RomRaiders logger next time you're dabbling with the ECU or tune.

Best to do this once the ATF is warmed up and engine at operating temp as well.

Then let her idle a bit, drive normal in auto, then somewhat spirited in manual mode.

OK, good to know. And no Stage0 tune either, right?

Do you know what CALID you're running on the ECU and if its the latest/last SOA pushed for your model year, emission spec?

FKC and FLKC always at zero is a tad odd, you should get some blips, especially so long as IAM stays at 1... there would typically be at least some FKC (negative) or if your IAM drops down to say 0.8 or 0.5 or something, I'd expect to see positive FLKC (hopefully).

No knock noise seems (refreshingly) suspicious knowing how the knock strategy is set on these cars.

Yes, agreed with covertrussian, try some Shell or Exxon/Mobil - tankful of each if you want. If that doesn't help, reset the ECU and TCU with a fresh tank of one of the top tier fuels in there and see how she does.

If that doesn't help - its likely something in the fuel delivery system (not uncommon on such an old car). Injectors, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator.

OK, good to know. And no Stage0 tune either, right?

Do you know what CALID you're running on the ECU and if its the latest/last SOA pushed for your model year, emission spec?

FKC and FLKC always at zero is a tad odd, you should get some blips, especially so long as IAM stays at 1... there would typically be at least some FKC (negative) or if your IAM drops down to say 0.8 or 0.5 or something, I'd expect to see positive FLKC (hopefully).

No knock noise seems (refreshingly) suspicious knowing how the knock strategy is set on these cars.

Yes, agreed with covertrussian, try some Shell or Exxon/Mobil - tankful of each if you want. If that doesn't help, reset the ECU and TCU with a fresh tank of one of the top tier fuels in there and see how she does.

If that doesn't help - its likely something in the fuel delivery system (not uncommon on such an old car). Injectors, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator.

No Stage 0.

I am not sure the CALID; I think i can easily snag that from BTSSM. I am un-aware SOA, sorry.

Okay.. I will burn this tank dry and try shell/ exon mobil

covertrussion, I was looking at your FPR Vacuum Line Relocation thread ( http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5191064&postcount=518 ) and wondering if thats something that will help my other problem ( A/F#1 very high )... Although my stumble has been almost non existent...jw

I wouldn't mod the FPR line, not until you find the actual issue. No need to add complexity when you are having issues. With that said, your FPR might be shot, in which case I would do a STI FPR conversion instead (since stock is $$$ and super complex).

You still might have some vacuum leaks, I would stop smoking the car, it hasn't been useful thus far. Some vacuum leaks only open under vacuum/boost, smoke test will not find these. I wouldn't stress over it too much though.

Get a vacuum pump, and start applying vacuum to all vacuum valves and see if the vacuum pump is loosing air. Things like FPR, emission components, BOV, all have diaphragms that could be leaking.

After that, this is where it starts getting expensive...

Have you replaced the fuel filter?

Fuel pressure regulator?

injectors (injector filters could be dirty, restricting flow)

MAF?

Intake manifold gaskets (4)

Throttle body gasket

Check the following items too, make sure all clamps are tight.

Intercooler

Intake Hoses

Throttle Body Hose

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Citgo is crap, Gufl is crap, I don't know how more direct I can get then that, there is a reason why everyone performance minded sticks to Shell.

Are you aware of any published independent testing on this? Citgo is listed as Top Tier so I would expect it to be at least meeting its octane ratings. For what it's worth, I only ever get non-Shell gasoline when I'm stranded away from one, but I'd be interested to see anything to confirm my observations (as well as yours).

Are you aware of any published independent testing on this? Citgo is listed as Top Tier so I would expect it to be at least meeting its octane ratings. For what it's worth, I only ever get non-Shell gasoline when I'm stranded away from one, but I'd be interested to see anything to confirm my observations (as well as yours).

I'm not sure anyone will take the initiative to do that study, could easily get them into slander/defamation lawsuits. Plus who would pay for it? :lol:.

I recommend Shell because I've been using it for over a decade with my home built turbo cars (which are high compression and are VERY sensitive to proper gas). The knock that Volta55's getting would have long killed my cars (non factory turbo motors don't have the same strength to withstand prolonged knock like factory turbo cars do). If anyone ever complains to me about their car running like crap, I tell them to use Shell for a tank or two and just about every time that fixes that issue.

I noticed that Citgo is Top Tier, but so is Cosco (which is not really regarded as that great of gas around here at least), so while they might have good detergents, they might not have as good quality gas? Perhaps relating it to Soda would be better way, sure store brand "coke" will do the job and is safe for you to drink, but it wont taste as good as Coca Cola.

I've tried to find some non-biased articles, but it's all either marketing (for shell v-power) or just online forums with people's suggestions for shell too. One thing that I did find interesting is this. Shell worked with Ferrari F1 to make sure their fuel is good. Perhaps their racing heritage is what makes them be so good for our turbo cars?

22 Ascent STOCK

That's odd, is that only where you live? I've traveled all across Eastern US to Midwest and only used Shell, and they all would put a $1 hold for a few days and then do a proper charge.

22 Ascent STOCK

I used to use Shell for traveling because it was good consistent gas, but found that in one day (four fill ups) I was out $400 of my card limit and it didn't clear up for 2-3 days. It's happened to me most every time I've used Shell with 3-4 different cards. I haven't tried in the last year or two, maybe it's changed for me and I need to try again.

Yeah that would piss me off too. I've never seen that, and Shell is the only gas station that I've used in the last 10 years for all of my cars.

One time, about 10 years ago, I was going to MA and couldn't find a Shell, so had to get another company, had to get Hess, first thing I noticed was how bubbly it was, next thing I noticed I was at down 1/4 tank within 50 miles, when it's usually over 100 miles, I haven't used another brand since then.

Now I'm not saying gas it self was THAT bad, but the pump aerated the gas so much it was impossible to get a proper full tank (people don't like you topping gas off up there, heck NJ doesn't even let you fill your own tank up).

22 Ascent STOCK

I got bad gas from Shell a couple months back...I believe I posted about it...I was getting crazy knock after filling up and turned out to be bad gas...Now I more or less stick with Mobil...Maybe it's the owners putting water in gas tanks or Something...idk

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

I got bad gas from Shell a couple months back...I believe I posted about it...I was getting crazy knock after filling up and turned out to be bad gas...Now I more or less stick with Mobil...Maybe it's the owners putting water in gas tanks or Something...idk

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've also had some bad Shell when I was driving through Maine to go to Acadia.

Valid point, the only thing I know for sure is that each company uses it's own mix of cleaning agents, otherwise the fuel is coming from the same refineries, at least this is the case in California.

Filled up with Citgo 93 in a neighboring town(shelton if that makes any difference hah) and FKC is hitting to -5 degrees

I am going to stick to my trusted station, Gulf, and enjoy the low fine knock numbers.

still holding at 1.000 which is a first since I have owned this car ( about a year now )

Archived