LegacyGT.com

Very high a/f learning 1

Lgt005

Dimensions for the resonator are very important. It is basically acting like a big air spring/damper. The mass of air inside it and the dimensions of the "neck" where it connects to the intake are tuned to fit the application. Maybe you could have some luck finding a takeoff at the recyclers.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Along with vacuum leaks, another thing that will cause high A learning (idle learning) is lack of fuel. This could be a clogged fuel filter, clogged injectors, dying FPR, etc. basically anything that keeps the fuel from easily getting into the engine at the right pressure.

I've been battling with high A learning myself, for me it will peg out the AF 1 Correction at 25% but A learning will still be under 10%. Because AF 1 correction can't go any higher then +25% my car starts lean misfiring with AFR's in 17-18 range at idle.

Also exhaust mods (event post downpipe) will effect the AFR's on these cars.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Do you have the newer intake manifold orange gaskets installed? Older ones will start to leak at idle.

I was chasing a leak forever, turned out my TGV ends were leaking since they made a slight change to the 07 from the 05/06. JB Weld/RTV was the fix.

I would pressurize the system again and spray soapy water on all the vac lines/TGV gaskets area checking for bubbles.

I changed out my exhaust mani gaskets and for the life of me could not get the OEM to seal (finally got the Grimm 2x thick). I jacked up the car, added a ton of soap to water in a spray bottle and covered the UP/DP/Mani gaskets in soap and fired up the car. I slid back under to see one of the gaskets bubbling.

Do you have the newer intake manifold orange gaskets installed? Older ones will start to leak at idle.

I was chasing a leak forever, turned out my TGV ends were leaking since they made a slight change to the 07 from the 05/06. JB Weld/RTV was the fix.

I would pressurize the system again and spray soapy water on all the vac lines/TGV gaskets area checking for bubbles.

I changed out my exhaust mani gaskets and for the life of me could not get the OEM to seal (finally got the Grimm 2x thick). I jacked up the car, added a ton of soap to water in a spray bottle and covered the UP/DP/Mani gaskets in soap and fired up the car. I slid back under to see one of the gaskets bubbling.

I cant recall the color of the intake manifold gaskets when i installed new turbo inlet.

Okay, Ill smoke her again this weekend.

Low IAM means your car is perceiving quite a bit of knock. I'd really refrain from running the car hard (in boost, hard acceleration, etc.) until you figure out what's going on.

Yeah I have been keeping it barely in boost except for those pulls yesterday.

both logs I did yesterday, my btssm boost psi gauge def read 10/11psi ( i remember glancing at it while accelerating) but looking at my logs, I dont see a boost more than 5psi :confused::confused:

I really appreciate the help guys

Not trying to thread jack but I recently had a lot of parts professionally swapped by a cobb authorized tuner as well as a tune. My car went from 17 lbs of boost to 0 boost in 5 minutes. Is it normal for WGDC to be ramping up before I get to 0 lbs of boost?

Not trying to thread jack but I recently had a lot of parts professionally swapped by a cobb authorized tuner as well as a tune. My car went from 17 lbs of boost to 0 boost in 5 minutes. Is it normal for WGDC to be ramping up before I get to 0 lbs of boost?

Generally if it goes to a constant boost value, you're probably got a MAP sensor issue. If it doesn't boost above some certain level (but above 0psi), then your wastegate is stuck open (or your solenoid or some other mechanical issue is effectively causing a 0 WGDC). To answer your question bolded, yes, WGDC can and likely will ramp up before 0psi boost on most tunes.

Found another leak

2cZsBkt.jpg

and fixed it.

sprayed MAF

reset ecu

and drove home from work in sh*t traffic..

IAM is currently at 0.625

AF#1 is still in the red.. 12 or 13 % I believe

AF 2,3,4 are 0 +/- 2%

AFR is quiet low, 14.0ish.... and i sometimes get a hint of rich exhaust smell

On a stock tune after an ECU reset, your IAM starts at 0.5, and it takes a couple hard pulls (not necessarily WOT) to bring it up to 1.0. If you haven't pushed the car a little bit, it makes sense for the IAM to be at 0.625. In general, if your FLKC table is zeroed out or has positive values in it, the car is "happy." A lower than 1.0 IAM is only bad if it dropped from 1.0.

AFR @ 14.0 is very low, and should be pretty much impossible at idle/cruise unless you've got serious mechanical issues.

Actually the stock tune targets less then 14.7 at idle that's controlled by the Closed loop compensation table on 05's. Also Stock AFR is a few points wrong here too, so even though it's showing 14.0 it's probably closer to 14.4.

22 Ascent STOCK

Dear Journal:

2cZsBkt.jpg

that end smoked, put temporary epoxy and worm gear type pipe clamp

4 days later(today) found a tear on the other end of said smoking pipe, temporary patched

then leaking cam sensor?

maxresdefault.jpg

(behind the hose he is pointing to)

The mounting is on a 30 degree angle attached to the block. I am not 100% sure what sensor it is.

but it is leaking oil like crazy

I fixed ( i thought ) my last vacuum leak last week.. but now more leaks come up

clogged PCV?

Thankyou VERY much for posting this

after replacing those cracked PCV hoses, my IAM is still dancing from .250 to 1.000 with no rhyme or reason and AF #1 is actually in the 20's now

So I will try again. I have never done the carb cleaner trick, just smoking. but I will try it ( I'll try anything now a days )

That sounds like a big giant vacuum leak. I bet your blue Tee is the culprit (since it's hidden under the intercooler).

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=253382&stc=1&d=1501640928

If you haven't get yourself a Turkeylord barbed tee, it will prevent it from blowing off.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=253383&stc=1&d=1501640928

22 Ascent STOCK

Can a clogged PCV blow off hoses? I swear everything looked nice and buttoned up (hose wise) before putting the TMIC on and reseting the ECU (even the blue T )

Will smoke her again today or tmrw :icon_roll

P.S- I use the large rubber intake hose ( that comes right off the intake air box ) to introduce the smoke. Is there a "better" place to introduce smoke?

Edit: just purchased the turkeylord T

IMO smoke test is not as good as people make out to be. Some things don't show up until you get vacuum to shrink or boost to expand the hoses.

I doubt it's your PCV valve, fit it's stuck shut then your not sucking in extra air. If it's stuck open, your pressurizing the crankcase, which can pop seals, but all of these are inside a closed loop system, so not a vacuum leak.

Get a latop out, log AF 1 Correction and go to down with carb cleaner, starting fluid, or propane. Once you get near the trouble spot your AF 1 correction will start going closer to 0 or negative values.

Check your manifold to TGV seals, those are probably shot since you have the older style on 05 (they compress overtime). Check TB to Manifold seal, probably shot too.

22 Ascent STOCK

bought some carb cleaner and started spraying trouble areas

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn164/lionseyeball/bpv_fpr_vac.jpg

that hose at the 5 oclock position of the brake reservoir was barely hanging on.. put it on and zip-tied

reset ecu while pumping brakes.

i used almost an entire can of carb cleaner; and i did not see any change in AF#1 ( and I used alot )

progress

will log some more miles

WOAH WOAH, who on earth worked on your car? Why is your FPR directly connected to the BOV?

When doing that mod you need to tee the FPR into BOV, not fully replace the BOV line. What's happening is, your FPR doesn't see vacuum or boost (this means rich in vacuum, very lean in boost). This also means your BOV doesn't open when you go into vacuum, causing damage to your turbo.

Since BOV is not connected, this means your BOV line is chilling some place probably uncapped, causing as a vacuum leak, or if I look at it closely it looks like it might be connected to Cyl 4, making a useless loop LOL.

Here is how you properly do the FPR vacuum relocation mod.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=253367&stc=1&d=1501640928

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=253368&stc=1&d=1501640928

22 Ascent STOCK

im sorry thats not my picture! I googled to try and find an image. lol I should have stated that

here is a video; you can hear the hissing of the unplugged hose

Damn! Here I thought we got to the root of your issue. Also video is not linked :)

22 Ascent STOCK

Ok based on the video and picture, the thing that was popped off was the fuel pressure regulator, that's not good (zip tie it on FPR and on manifold).

Next I hear a loud hissing from BOV area. You sprayed carb cleaner there and didn't see AF1 change? If not then go ahead and unplug it from BOV, and stick a bolt into it (to cap it off). If hissing stops, your BOV is busted (either diaphragm or nipple).

22 Ascent STOCK

Okay so 100 miles after reset

(after spraying full can of carb cleaner around engine while monitoring btssm, finding fuel regulator hose detached)

first log is kind of heat-soaked onto on-ramp onto 95

https://datazap.me/u/volta55/heat-soaked-mcdonalds-onramp?log=0&data=1-3-11

vI5CBkM.png

then the second log is getting off 95 and cruising through my home town.

https://datazap.me/u/volta55/trumbull-zooming?log=0&data=1-3-4-5-11

then driving home a couple hours later

decides to stay at 0.625

https://datazap.me/u/volta55/driving-home-trumbull-0625?log=0&data=1-11

D8OxFLq.png

yay(kinda) to nay

Archived