LegacyGT.com

P0037 and gas smell

Shutoburner

So...I went Cobb OTS stage 2 about a month ago with carted invidia DP and grimmspeed UP. Since then, I smelled some exhaust fumes in the cabin and knew that there could be a leak although I had everything bolted to factory spec and the only thing I didn't do was a single bolt at the DP and turbo since the grimmspeed gasket was too thick to allow the bottom nut to be engaged.

Anyhow, yesterday I got that p0037 code which from my search is the rear o2 sensor that's gone bad. My concern since the Cobb tune was that my car was running rich...and now the o2 sensor went foul. Or could it be the other way around? About to fail o2 sensor and therefore was running rich before failure. Since the CEL came on, the smell is unbearable and it smells like a diesel truck!

I'm planning to change the o2 sensor tomorrow and put oem gaskets instead of the grimmspeed ones. Anyone else experience this or have any input? I'm probably gonna buy an etune soon but didn't expect this to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really related to the tune, P0037 is related to the heating circuit in the rear oxygen sensor. There is a heating element in the oxygen sensor that brings the sensor up to operating temperature quickly. It is very common for this to fail at some point.

Probably a coincidence this happened to fail now. You can try just replacing the rear oxygen sensor.

Not really related to the tune, P0037 is related to the heating circuit in the rear oxygen sensor. There is a heating element in the oxygen sensor that brings the sensor up to operating temperature quickly. It is very common for this to fail at some point.

Probably a coincidence this happened to fail now. You can try just replacing the rear oxygen sensor.

Gotcha, would that cause the car to run more rich? I mean the car seriously smells horrible.

Sometimes, the ECU will store multiple codes, are you aware of any others being stored? Running way too rich is hard on catalytic converters. If not, I would be tempted to replace the oxygen sensor with a new one, reset the ECU and go for a highway drive while keeping an eye on things to see if the issue has resolved.

Note, you should try to use the correct Denso oxygen sensor. Sensors from other vendors don't seem to work as well with our cars finicky electronics.

I was re-reading your post just now, and you really should fix this exhaust leak. That can cause issues with emissions.

IMG_0997.thumb.JPG.c449297df5f93b875529011412d5f05b.JPG

So, removed the o2 sensor to find the wires exposed and rubbed off by the drive shaft! Looks like some idiot routed the sensor wires above the driveshaft and didn't secure it. It's Bosch generic sensor with wires spliced in anyway. Sad thing is the previous owner had a receipt for this being replaced at a shop! Sensor itself looked pretty new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW you can get longer bolts for the exhaust flanges from any hard ware store. Don't only use one bolt.

Use anti-seize compound on all threads.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4781.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived