LegacyGT.com

HELP!!! Whistling Noise Coming From Engine!

Hey guys...I need help. I drive a 2006 Legacy GR and have been hearing some weird noises coming from the engine. For the last few weeks is been making a whistling noise but only when I am on the gas/above 2,000 RPMs. I took it to a local shop and they said that they couldn't get it to make the noise (which I think is a bunch of BS considering it makes it pretty much consistently when I drive it). They said the engine looks fine and they couldn't see anything wrong with it but I'm still hearing that whistling noise.

Any ideas as to what it could be???

Throttle body connection seems to be a common source of noise like this. Check all the vacuum lines if that looks OK. Check your air cleaner, make sure it is fitted correctly and sealing tight.

Whistling noises could also come from the exhaust system. Check each of the connections in the exhaust system, see if you can detect a leak.

One other thing, your car intakes and exhausts a greater volume of air when it under load. So, if the shop tested it on the lift, but did not test it out on the road, they may not have reproduced your issue.

It's possible, or something might have just slipped off. One problem with these cars as they age is the rubber parts deteriorate. Exhaust leaks are also common especially if people reuse the old gaskets.

I would check your intercooler connections first. It is common for the rubber coupler to come loose. If you have the stock intercooler, it can develop leaks along the seams between the metal core and plastic end tanks.

So...you guys are probably all going to think I am an idiot but it turns out that the noise is coming from the electrical from my stereo. I researched and it is from "bad grounding" of the electrical.
At least you 'fessed up. :lol: Good job fooling everybody! The perils of trying to diagnose obscure noises over the internet...

Archived