LegacyGT.com

Solved: Horn and hazards work, no electrical power to car.

Hi guys,

After searching online for a solution I figured it all out.

I had to remove the battery to install a new turn signal bulb. After everything went back together I had no power in the car except the horn worked and hazard lights.

A big mistake can happen when you disconnect or connect your battery. Always remember to remove the positive lead from the battery prior to the ground. Also when reinstalling the battery hook up the ground wire first and then the positive lead.

This mistake blew the main fuse and killed almost all power to the car. What made it confusing was that I still had hazard lights and a horn. It was a $28 fuse but now I am back on the road.

Hi guys,

After searching online for a solution I figured it all out.

I had to remove the battery to install a new turn signal bulb. After everything went back together I had no power in the car except the horn worked and hazard lights.

A big mistake can happen when you disconnect or connect your battery. Always remember to remove the positive lead from the battery prior to the ground. Also when reinstalling the battery hook up the ground wire first and then the positive lead.

This mistake blew the main fuse and killed almost all power to the car. What made it confusing was that I still had hazard lights and a horn. It was a $28 fuse but now I am back on the road.

Always remove the ground connection first and reattach it last. This is to prevent accidently shorting the wrench against the chassis when removing the positive connection.

The Subaru dealer said otherwise. I agree with you totally and was surprised at my result.

He told me if you hook up positive first it tries to ground through all the other chassis connections and blows the fuse. So is this a load of crap?

Strange, that's the opposite of what I've known for 30 yrs.

I've removed ground first and never had a problem for that time.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a1454/4213127/

Might want to tell him that he has it backwards, all throughout the subaru FSM you'll find "Disconnect the ground cable from the battery". It never says, "Disconnect the positive cable from the battery" unless it is after the ground cable.

177307330_ScreenShot2017-08-18at11_18_14PM.png.ab6647ff1f8432f8b41c4c96466e0634.png

The Subaru dealer said otherwise. I agree with you totally and was surprised at my result.

He told me if you hook up positive first it tries to ground through all the other chassis connections and blows the fuse. So is this a load of crap?

Yes, it is a load of crap. If the ground is not connected there is no return path through the chassis. Or at least there shouldn't be ;)

Archived