LegacyGT.com

P0011 Help/Advice

Thanks! Didnt realize it's in series. I'll check out the hammer down.

Well, I believe the system is somewhat in 'series'. So if one side still has a filter and is a bit clogged, it will influence the rest of the oiling system.

And yes, there is a way to take it out without pulling the intake cam sprocket on the driver side. I'll search for the post from hammerhead...

It is 'hammer down', not hammerhead :lol:

here you go: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5355816&postcount=1097

Well you know what, after careful rechecking of how these OCVs work, they are not really in series as I previously mentioned; at least not directly at all. From what I can tell, the OCV on the driver side gets 'fresh oil' from the head through the banjo bolt filter, and then oil goes from the OCV to the intake cam gear.

On the passenger side, oil comes from the banjo bolt placed on the passenger side head, and oil goes to the turbo and avcs cam gear.

So yeah, if the banjo bolt filter on the driver side was clogged, it would definitively impact the car performance but I don't think it would kill the turbo. However, P0011 definitely would since it could starve the turbo from oil.

So, I can't remember if you've already done this, but do swap OCVs and see how the car performs.

Finally, if you have some way to log ECU parameters (e.g. btssm), do log VVT angles Left and Right. They must be in sync at all times. I personally view these two parameters on my car at all times. It gives me peace of mind knowing that the ocvs are working as they should, and the turbo is getting proper lubrication.

I recently fought this same battle with my 05 LGT. P0011 and P0021. Tried everything recommended including new OCVs and camshaft position sensor. By the time we removed the drivers side banjo bolt (which was completely clogged) it was too late and the engine developed a knock. Spun a rod bearing and ended up rebuilding the engine. It might be a pain in the a*# but a clogged drivers side banjo can be just as catastrophic as the passenger side.

I got the same, pulled the downpipe and the turbo is fine, no shaft play whatsoever. Took out the banjo bolt on the passenger side and the filter looked pretty gunked up. Followed up with an oil change and sent a sample into black stone labs but havnt heard back yet. I've driven her on a few small trips, feels fine sounds fine, the engine did start smoking but I believe that's just the mass amount of pb blaster I used on the heat shield burning off as the amount of smoke has reduced each time. Still driving quite conservatively as I'm nervous that the code will come back (I had disconnected the battery while I was replacing a wheel bearing, totally seperate but needed to be done). Also changed the VVT when I first got the code but it came back again pretty shortly after that swap so I'm pretty sure that wasn't the culprit. Good luck to you and wish me luck, I'm just gonna use it sparingly and check the oil before and after each trip for a few weeks then I can hopefully drive without paranoia

Well codes popped up again. Car sputtered a bit and I took it to an autoparts store to run the codes. It's now p0021, which I expected since we swapped OCV's sides. Looks like $122 to buy and then labor to install. Might get my mechanic to just do it for free but who knows. How hard is it to pull and replace the driver side OCV?

Thank you to all that gave advice. After replacing the AVCS on the passenger side I swapped OCV sides and threw p0021. Replaced that OCV and it's been smooth sailing sense. Halsey Auto Parts gave me a defective OCV when I originally replaced the passenger side during my rebuild.

Archived