LegacyGT.com

Auto Shop Up-charge on labor

My 08 legacy 2.5 was throwing p0026 codes and I took it into a shop. Is it typical for auto shops to upcharge for additional labor to remove a stuck bolt? If that's the case, if they got done with the labor early wouldn't they have to deduct labor? I was originally quoted $3,100.00 for Head gasket & water pump replacement with heads machined as well as valve cover gaskets, timing, replacements, new belts, oil pressure switches, & spark plugs. They all seem like con artists to me. And now they want additional changes for spark plug wires, water pump by-pass valve, thermostat, radiator hoses. All for an additional $280.00. I said no to all but the thermostat. Any regrats?

Most shops have a system where they charge by the book hours for labor. It is not done for your benefit, that's for sure. If they finish early, they charge the same. From their point-of-view, it is a bonus for being efficient. They give you an estimate based on book labor hours plus expected parts. That does not mean you can't be asked to pay more than that if they find other things that need to be fixed. You have to approve it, though.

If your hoses are still in good shape, you can defer changing them for awhile. If they are showing their age, it's a good idea to replace them. I figure the 10 year or 100K mile mark is a good time to change them, which is also when the timing belt service is due.

Sounds like the shop wanted to do some preventative maintenance which does makes sense because they had to do most of the labor to remove those parts anyway. But their prices are high. The bypass hose runs around $15 at the dealer. The upper and lower radiator hoses can be had at the auto parts store for around $50. It would be a good idea to put on new clamps with the new hoses, too.

Spark plug wires, etc. I don't think you need to change unless they are faulty.

So I was supposed to get my vehicle this morning, it didn't as promised. At the first up date, they told me they were going to charge an extra hour of labor for bolt extraction from the crankcase. I was reluctant because I dont trust them telling me the truth because they told me after the fact. Now they are saying they stripped a bolt and have to charge me extra. I feel like they shouldn't be charging me for either if they were good mechanics and did diligent work. If they stripped a bolt, shouldn't they be responsible for over torquing? Also, they "forgot" to put the hoses on the original estimate even though the water pump was included in the estimate... I am very tired of this shop's inability to properly estimate and do a nice job. Does any of this sound legitimate?

Many shops have flat-rate techs. Those techs would make no money if the shop charges EXACTLY how long it takes the tech to complete the job. You have to take the good with the bad, you can pay a lube tech to replace your timing belt but it would probably take them at least 2x longer. Do not blame the automotive repair shops for charging book time, that is the standard put in place by the engineers at the factory. They do not account for rusty parts so that 1 hour job could turn into 2 and it happens all the time in the North East.

If a shop stripped a bolt, that is on them. Bolts break all the time during disassembly and depending on how difficult it is to replace, a charge may be applied. If a bolt broke during installation, that is on the shop.

Have to agree, you had a lot of work done.

Remember all the overhead the shop has to cover. If you had all those tools and training you'd do the work yourself.

The shop should not be charging you for something they broke.

I had my trusted mechanic tell me sorry for the up charge, they had to spend more time then they thought to remove rusty suspension bolts on the 10y/o Civic, he said it was the worst one they had ever seen.

Yet when I go there for some small work. they have done things for free, or for a very low price. How's a four wheel alignment for $50.00, I got snow tire change over or new tires mounted in the rims with balancing for $40.00.

If you can find a good repair shop stick with them and build a long term relationship.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived